• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

shovelling techniques

Trekchick

Due to an end of season rush on office work, we've hired a farm kid to to my sidewalk shoveling. I miss it very much. :(

In all seriousness, I find that snowremoval duties in the winter and lawn cutting duties in the non snow months to be a GREAT source of mental traquility for me. And for this reason, and not just my ski love, I wish that we'd get clearable storms atleast once, if not twice a week all winter long.

I believe getting your hands dirty is the best way to keep your head clean.

Drink your orange juice.
Yesterday I shoveled sidewalks for our commercial accounts and it felt great!
We got another 4 inches over night, which makes me grin :D

I love winter!

Bumpsis

Snow blowers are for sissies.

Let 'see must be a city boy talkin ' smack :D :D

has no 200 ft driveway-or side pkg lots or 100-200 ft of walkways - prolly never seen a whiteout come in sideways :DD

Of course, my "sissies" remark was meant to be a poke in the ribs :)
I'm sure that there are many situations where having mechanized help makes perfect sense.
Just to punch up my snow shoveling credentials, I did live in Buffalo, NY for about 15 years and dealing with sizable driveway was my responsiblity. I've seen some epic snow falls there.

skiing is life

Since i live near you i would know that out of the few storms we get, the majority of them are wet, heavy snow.
That being said dont pick up as much snow as the shovel will allow. What i do is just pick up small amounts that i can quickly throw to the side and carry on.

You could also invest in a powershovel, they make things a hell of alot easier. they cost about 100 bucks:smile:

00000121345-ToroPowerShovelPlus38361-large.jpeg

https://www.shoptoro.com/Comergent/en/US/adirect/Toro?cmd=ToroCatProductDetail