• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Significant ski pin collection posted on SnowJournal

jimk

PSA and I can't vouch for this, but a person named Cliff who seems to be legit has posted photos of an interesting and very extensive vintage ski area pin collection that supposedly belonged to his father. He's breaking it up and offering hundreds of them for $10 each on SnowJournal: http://www.snowjournal.com/page.php?cid=topic20409
If anybody knows this guy or can vouch for his authenticity that would be good to know. As I said, he seems legit and has even included an old photo of his father claiming he owned/made the pins.

bousquet19

Jimk and group,

Even if you're not interested in buying old ski pins, the photos are definitely worth checking out. Truly an incredible collection of 1960s-era ski area pins. Among the more interesting from the Northeast (and most are northeastern) that I spotted are Hickory Hill NY, Petersburg Pass MA-NY, Burrington Hill VT, and Thunder Mountain (both MI and MA). There's also a great pic of Cliff's dad wearing a hat covered with some of the pins he sold for a living.

And, oh yes, there's a pin from Satan's Ridge CT (now Ski Sundown ... has anyone on AZ heard of Ski Sundown?). :dontknow:

Cliff is a newcomer to SnowJournal, but I agree with jimk that he seems legit. I emailed him back and forth several times about particular pins and he was quite helpful. My gut feeling was good, so I placed an order. Will report back on how it all turned out.

Woody

steamboat1

I always buy a pin when I go to a ski area I've never been to before. I've accumulated quite a collection over the years. Some of my pins are from areas that are no longer in operation. I have them all on one hat but I'm running out of room to put new ones on. You'd be surprised how heavy the hat is.

bousquet19

I'll vouch for Cliff.

After I contacted him about some ski areas of interest, he set up the pins and emailed me a photo. That was before he posted all 350 of them on SnowJournal. He responded promptly to my inquiries (and I had several) and adjusted my order when I found that I already had one that I'd asked for.

In today's mail, I received the pins I'd purchased and paid for via personal check. They were in great shape and came well packed. 'Never thought I'd have pins from places like Petersburg Pass and Burrington Hill in my collection.

Thanks Cliff!

Woody