• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Season Grade So Far

4aprice

I used to know a site that gave the statistics of how much terrain (coverage) was open and when for a given season. I bet for New England the 2 month period of say Feb 15th-April 15th most areas were reporting 100% coverage. That's spectacular for the northeast. I laughed as I read back over the grading because of the January thaw and subsequent raising of it as it progressed. IMO it acted as should with decent cold followed by a little storminess early (good snowmaking weather) a January thaw (the reason for snowmaking) followed by a good back half. Pattern seems to have broke when we just missed the noreaster in March. (Have read that storms such as that break patterns, similar to Superstorm 93, had we been nailed with that one oh boy). I do believe some places were under avg snowfall up north (K @ 189, I think I saw on K-1 Board, 250 avg) but the snow pack was solid for a long time. Gets a solid A from me.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Bostonian

So far this season, I give it a solid A-... So far, I have managed to get out 19 times... Some days were better than others, especially towards the tail end of this season. No true powder days this year; however, I did have some top notch days out. With 19 times out this season, this is the most skiing I have done in about 4 years. So I really cannot complain - I do hope to maybe earn some turns in the next two weeks (even if it is just one run) to make it 20. Looking forward to next season and getting the little guy out on the snow too!

abc

For me? A+!!!

But that's because I went out west 4 weeks! (in 2x2 weeks sting) And the 2nd 2 week early this month was blessed with powder day after powder day, interspersed with soft corduroy of fresh snow groomed to perfection with nobody else around to disturb it :) That, underscores the overall rating: the best I've ever had (skiing-wise). Not to mention the most days ever (though that's less of a focus for me).

Chances of meeting a few more AZ'ers, as well as other like-minded companions I shared with on the slope, was the icing on the cake.

For the northeast part of my season, it's more of a A-. Mostly because I missed almost all the major storm, notably the episode of mis-reading the 1st chair schedule in Stowe when they had a 8" dump the night before. :( Still, I had a solid season mostly spent at northern VT/NH late March and this past Easter weekend. Had better luck with quite a few 2-3" minor ones, plus lots of leftover stashes of freshies here and there.

With all the coastal storms near home, I didn't manage to get much of. Work got in the way more often than not. Mostly only of leftover snow, which I harvested primarily on xc skis. So on that front, I had a decent season also. I would rate my xc season as a B-. A few notably good days, thanks more to good company than snow quality. And a few truly good snow days and/or interesting venture completes the grading. But it wasn't a very long season nor particularly frequent outing, hence the B-

Bottomline, a long injury-free season in which I managed to get out a lot of days, quite a few of them with fresh snow and good company to share with. That's what skiing is all about, isn't it? A+ overall!

C-Rex

Now that my season is pretty much over, I'll give this season an B+. To some that may sound like I have gripes about it but it really just means I'm leaving room for those once in a lifetime, buried all winter type seasons. It also has to do with the fact that I didn't meet some of my goals like breaking my number of days personal best (35, however 29 ain't bad), or getting to Tucks (might still be a possibility). But other than that, I am very happy with what we got.

I had 3 great trips. A great long weekend at Smuggs, where despite -15 deg temps I had a great time, found some great time and got to meet a cool fellow AZer (Savemeasammy). I met a few more AZers at Cannon, but since my friends were being slow and annoying I didn't get the chance to ride with them. Next year for sure! Then I had I great week at Sugarloaf and happened to catch a 12"+ storm in the middle of it. Finally got to explore some of Bracket Basin too. Then I finished up the year with an awesome trip to Mt. Bachelor. That was a huge eye-opener. I had no idea Bend was such a beautiful, friendly, and exciting place to be. I'm already jonesing to go back. I also got to scratch Magic Mountain off my list, and did it with 2 amazing powder days. All said and done, I had 9 powder days this year! It's hard to knock a season where you get more powder days than a lot of people ski any conditions.

Glenn

Overall, it was OK. It took awhile to get into the woods due to all the icing. And even into mid season, trails needed a lot of resurfacing from the rain/thaw cycles, followed by -0 temps. I felt areas that really laid down a good amount of snow early season made it through the warmups/rain better.

dlague

This season had only two issues -

the rain in January which caused many to down grade the season before the best part of winter even arrived which is (Feb & Mar). While it got me down due to missing a couple days, I was not going to let that ruin my season.

the number of visits - I had too many missed days (8) due to flu, rain, family events. Our goal was 40 days and it looks like we will hit 37ish.

Overall, December was really good, January had its moments, but February and March rocked and April has been pretty sweet. It looks like the turns in may are going to happen so.......grade "A" for me!

Smellytele

A-
As other said missed a few days because of weather in Jan also missed last Sunday because of weather (I know some went anyway but some would go in a Hurricane).

JDMRoma

This is great to hear! Especially since you rated it a 'D' at one point in this thread.

Was great skiing with you this season. Welcome aboard the Cannon wagon!

I rate this season: "F'n A"!

I think I went with the D out of frustration with the weather......it did finally turn around so It was a distant memory !

Thanks to you and Puckit, my season turned around.....we certainly logged in some vertical !

Lotta good memories to get me through the summer :)

57stevey

Well, I didn't get out enough, and I didn't go anywhere new. But, I got back to Whaleback, and I finally had a full season with gear whose strengths complemented my weaknesses, allowing me to branch out into new terrain and conditions. So I guess B-minus ?

Savemeasammy

If January didn't count as part of the season, then I think an A would be fair. The fact is that January happened, and it wasn't good. For the most part the rest of the season was very good to excellent, so I'm going with a B+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HowieT2

B-.
bookend. December was great until right before Xmas. Then bad until valentines. Great march and April.

fbrissette

Number and letter-based grading systems have advantages and disadvantages and we could have a long debate on that. One thing that does not make sense however is to use a table as above to make both systems equivalent.

I use the letter system cause it allows me to give difficult assignments (and sometimes very hard exams) without having to normalize back the grades. Typically an A would translate to an average score of 80-85 depending on the trimester, sometimes lower, sometimes higher.

fbrissette

That seems like robbery! An A should be above 90 at least. Unless A+ accounts for 86-100?

Can't believe we're having a grading conversation on a ski forum... I prefer to have hard exams to maximize the spread between good and mediocre students. Typically my exams will have a mean around 50% with the very best student around 85%, and the worst around 15-20%. Once you add lab reports (with have much better grades), I usually end up with an F around 55 and an A+ around 85. Very rarely have I had students above 90%.