• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski, Skiing, and Powder

wa-loaf

<rant>These f-ers keep calling to renew my subscription. If they think a phone call in the middle of dinner is going to get me to send them money, they're f-ing wrong. I usually manage to get myself a subscription in the fall when I start jonesing hard. Not this year, they're not getting a cent from me. Maybe I'll spend the extra cash on Snowjournal ... </rant>

Anyone else getting calls?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Not yet, but a phone call during dinner time is guaranteed to piss me off and refuse to do business with someone.

wa-loaf

Get on the "Do Not Call" list.https://www.donotcall.gov/
The only crap I recieve now is political polls and charity.Sucks but a lot better than all the other solicitation.

I was on it, but I moved and have a new number. Forgot to re-register. Done now. Hope that takes care of it. Still not going to send any money to those guys this year.

Cannonball

They are probably being persistent because you are the only one in America to ever actually have a paid subscription. Do you really BUY those magazines?

I signed up for free subscriptions once at a Warren Miller movie about 15 years ago. There is nothing I can do to make them STOP sending them. For awhile my wife and I were each receiving a copy in the mail each month. I have tried everything from calling them and politely asking them to stop, to writing nasty letters, to cutting up whole issues and mailing them back. I gave up a few years back. Now they get a quick once over as I walk from my mailbox to my house...then straight into the recycle bin.

If you want, I'll save 'em up and you can come get them now and then.

wa-loaf

They are probably being persistent because you are the only one in America to ever actually have a paid subscription. Do you really BUY those magazines?

I signed up for free subscriptions once at a Warren Miller movie about 15 years ago. There is nothing I can do to make them STOP sending them. For awhile my wife and I were each receiving a copy in the mail each month. I have tried everything from calling them and politely asking them to stop, to writing nasty letters, to cutting up whole issues and mailing them back. I gave up a few years back. Now they get a quick once over as I walk from my mailbox to my house...then straight into the recycle bin.

If you want, I'll save 'em up and you can come get them now and then.

I've gotten Ski free for doing NASTAR and they'll probably keep coming anyway. I hadn't read Powder in years and wanted to see what was up with it. I used to read it religiously back in the 80's. It was a disappointment. Can't really remember how I got Skiing.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
not 100% certain, but I think there is a loop hole where businesses can still call you if you've done business with them during the past couple of years.

I think you're right. I don't pick up if I don't recognize the number anyway.

As for paying... I think we've been getting Skiing or Ski for a few years now without ever paying a cent. Not sure why we keep getting it, but we do. I do have to say that Skijournal is a beautiful publication though.

UVSHTSTRM

Sort of related, but I actually worked for a company that produced GIS data that is used by such companies as those used by direct marketing/mailing companies, ie junk mail.

I didn't know this until one day at work I was complaining about all the crap I get in my mail. I was saying how the only real mail I got was my paycheck and the rest was friggin junk. A sales guy was standing by and said that it's funny cuz we supply alot of mailing data for these companies.

We were located in Lebanon, NH and one of the larger companies that did this direct mailing was actually up the road in Haverill, NH. Small world.