• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 12/10/2006 (night)

Greg

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Sunday, 12/10/2006 - 6:40 pm - 10:10 pm

Resort or Ski Area: Ski Sundown, New Hartford, CT

Conditions: Variable manmade. Clear, calm, cool

Trip Report: Today was the first of hopefully many AZ night sessions at Sundown. Got to the mountain around 6:30 and took a run. They had Noreaster roped off to groom it and Temptor so I did Canyon Run. On my next ride up I noticed bvibert and 2knees who arrived earlier so I waited for them a the summit. Great to have company to make the lift rides go quicker. We found ourselves stopping and chatting quite a bit throughout our runs. Kind of a leisurely pace but we still managed probably a dozen runs on Stinger, Temptor and Nor'easter. No bumps on Nor'easter yet, although there seems to be a lot of snow made in there. In fact, the amount of snow the mountain put out everywhere was truly impressive; Side-to-side coverage and several feet deep in spots. The only mishap was a 2knees/snowboarder collision. Hope the hip is feeling better, Pat. Pat split a run or two after that and Brian and I skied till close. Conditions were variable manmade - everything from scratchy hard pack to LGR, death cookies, even some powdery manmade. A great first night session out. The great company made it. Video coming...

2knees

damn my whole right side is sore but my hip feels like it was hit with a baseball bat.

that was a HARD landing.

Greg

Staff member
damn my whole right side is sore but my hip feels like it was hit with a baseball bat.

that was a HARD landing.

Unfortunately (or maybe not ;) ), I don't have video of the collision, but I do have some nice vids of you. Hope to post them tonight.

That sucked though. I'll give the kid and his buddies credit for stopping to be sure you were okay. He did look legitimately concerned. Hope you feel better soon.

bvibert

Staff member

that was a HARD landing.

That sucks, hopefully it didn't cause a noticeable limp. That kid couldn't have picked a worse place to wipe you out...

Greg

Staff member
Okay. Here's a video:

Sundown Vid - 12/10/06 (night)

Some of the scenes are kinda dark, but I'm actually happy with how my camera did in the low light. We should be able to get some cool footage of the night sessions on the bump run this season. Enjoy!

bvibert

Staff member
Nice vid! Your camera did a good job in the dark. I looked better than I felt that night...

2knees

nice work. they came out pretty clear. this should be fun once nor'easter is up and running.

frito- thanks man, i appreciate it.
However, there are a lotta people out there, hell on this board, who blow my doors off. lol.

Greg

Staff member
nice work. they came out pretty clear. this should be fun once nor'easter is up and running.
Some of the scenes are better than others. Some appear with accurate color while others are sort of greenish. My camera has a white balance detection setting but I think you need to do that for each scene in movie mode. Gotta play around with it to see if I can save the right setting. I think the camera is capable of some decent night video. Nor'easter is pretty well lit so some bump movies should be easy to pull off. Stinger, on the other hand, is pretty dark up top and you can see that in the vid for sure.

jack97

2knees,

You have the same problems in the flat as in the bumps. Bring your hips forward, slightly bend the knees and place shin pressure to the tongues. You can see it very clearly especially when you start a turn, you lift up and get your knees straigth.

Greg

Staff member
great video...Looks like you had the whole place to yourself!!!

Thanks. It started to get quieter around 8 pm. Earlier in the evening there were a lot of riders. Actually, I think we were probably 3 out of 10 skiers there that night. Most of the guys on boards stuck to Stinger though so Temptor and Nor'easter were pretty much open.

Catul

Nice video Greg! I gotta join up with you guys one of these nights - got out to Sundown last Saturday morning with my daughter, good to get the legs warmed up a little (though it wasn't much of real skiing); I'll keep an eye on your upcoming meets.