• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 3/30/2008

bvibert

Staff member
I'm really hoping so too. From what I gathered if the weather holds out then they'll open. Right now it's looking like rain Friday into Saturday from the forecast I just saw... :( Still a fews days from now though, hopefully the forecast takes a change for the better! :D

:( Done:

CLOSED FOR THE SEASON...OUR LAST DAY WAS SUN., MAR. 30 UNDER BLUE SKIES, PLENTY OF SUNSHINE & GREAT SNOW...THANK YOU!
Here's some facts:
Days open this season: 98
Ave. length of season: 95 days
Longest season ever: '92/'93...107 days!
Earliest opening: Nov. 30
Latest closing: Apr. 4
See you in the fall as we begin our 40th season! SAVE THE DATE...SKI SUNDOWN'S 3RD ANNUAL BREWER'S FEST ON SAT., SEPT. 27 4-8PM!

MR. evil

Bummer!:cry:

Atleast I have moutain biking season to look forward too :-D

2knees

thanks to Chris, Jarrod and everyone else over there for a great season. I got in 11 days at sundown this year and i took one run on gunbarrel while they were grooming nor easter. other then that, all bumps.

Thank You!!!

powhunter

What a great way to end the season at the almighty sundown!!! Great ripping it with ya greg, brian, mikey, gmcunni,,jonnypoach, and pat...oh wait he wasnt there..8)....we did miss ya pat and the rest of the crew... and we were fortunate enough to have jarrod leave his posse of park rats and rip one with us!!! There were a lot of skiers ripping the bumps yesterday!! Lets hope sundown continues to feed our jones for the best skiing in Ct. Thanks again Chris and Jarrod for a magnificent job!!!

steve

Greg

Staff member
Right On!

thanks to Chris, Jarrod and everyone else over there for a great season. I got in 11 days at sundown this year and i took one run on gunbarrel while they were grooming nor easter. other then that, all bumps.

Thank You!!!

What a great way to end the season at the almighty sundown!!! Great ripping it with ya greg, brian, mikey, gmcunni,,jonnypoach, and pat...oh wait he wasnt there..8)....we did miss ya pat and the rest of the crew... and we were fortunate enough to have jarrod leave his posse of park rats and rip one with us!!! There were a lot of skiers ripping the bumps yesterday!! Lets hope sundown continues to feed our jones for the best skiing in Ct. Thanks again Chris and Jarrod for a magnificent job!!!

steve

Indeed. Steve - my only disagreement is Sundown is not only the best skiing in CT, but the best in SNE.....well, except for maybe BEast on a powder day.

I skied Sundown 22 times this season. I've said it a million times, but I feel so fortunate to have that little hill just up the road. Those bumps have helped me to progress faster in the past 3 years since I started skiing them than I could have ever imagined.

Thank you Chris, Jarrod and the rest of the Sundown staff for the mogul philosophy you've adopted. Sundown truly is a little gem of a mountain in the midst of countless other vanilla ski areas that only offer boring groomers. You guys have provided some interesting terrain for more advanced skiers as well as given beginners the opportunity to learn to appreciate how good it feels to not be locked into just skiing the "flats". GREAT JOB!!!

And to the AZ Sundown Crew: To next season! :beer: Hopefully more will continue to join us. It was the best season yet and it's sure to only get better...

bvibert

Staff member

Thank You!!!

steve

Indeed. Steve - my only disagreement is Sundown is not only the best skiing in CT, but the best in SNE.....well, except for maybe BEast on a powder day.

I skied Sundown 22 times this season. I've said it a million times, but I feel so fortunate to have that little hill just up the road. Those bumps have helped me to progress faster in the past 3 years since I started skiing them than I could have ever imagined.

Thank you Chris, Jarrod and the rest of the Sundown staff for the mogul philosophy you've adopted. Sundown truly is a little gem of a mountain in the midst of countless other vanilla ski areas that only offer boring groomers. You guys have provided some interesting terrain for more advanced skiers as well as given beginners the opportunity to learn to appreciate how good it feels to not be locked into just skiing the "flats". GREAT JOB!!!

And to the AZ Sundown Crew: To next season! :beer: Hopefully more will continue to join us. It was the best season yet and it's sure to only get better...

I agree on all counts! Thanks to everyone that made it such a great season! :beer:

I'm already anxious for the next Sundown season to begin. :D

downhill04

Here is the video from my first run. Helmet cam was bouncing a little too much but that was due to the solid boiler plate bumps. The video doesn't do justice to how glazed over the snow was that early.

bvibert

Staff member
Here is the video from my first run. Helmet cam was bouncing a little too much but that was due to the solid boiler plate bumps. The video doesn't do justice to how glazed over the snow was that early.

Looks a little firm for sure. :eek:

Nice to meet you again, sorry I didn't get out for any turns with you. Also sorry if I seemed disinterested when I was talking to you, I had just gotten there and was a little pre-occupied with a few different things.

downhill04

Looks a little firm for sure. :eek:

Nice to meet you again, sorry I didn't get out for any turns with you. Also sorry if I seemed disinterested when I was talking to you, I had just gotten there and was a little pre-occupied with a few different things.

No problem dude I stopped cursing you by my 5th run :smash:

Greg

Staff member

Oof. :blink: Rough surface for sure, but that was a neat video. Gives someone that's never skied them an indication of just how long the bumps are. Not bad for a little molehill, eh? That Temptor "headwall" ;) was just so sweet in the afternoon.

2knees

J, your back called. It wants a divorce from your brain. holy crap man, that looked brutal.

btw, were you dragging tin cans behind you or something? :lol:

downhill04

Oof. :blink: Rough surface for sure, but that was a neat video. Gives someone that's never skied them an indication of just how long the bumps are. Not bad for a little molehill, eh? That Temptor "headwall" ;) was just so sweet in the afternoon.

I'm glad you guys talked about Sundown as much as you did. I never would have gone there if it wasn't for all the good things you guys said about it. We are really lucky to have a hill like that so close to home. Sundown really gives us big mountain skiing in a small package.

Greg

Staff member
I'm glad you guys talked about Sundown as much as you did. I never would have gone there if it wasn't for all the good things you guys said about it. We are really lucky to have a hill like that so close to home. Sundown really gives us big mountain skiing in a small package.

Yep. A lot of people seem surprised that a 625 vert hill could be so much fun due to the bumps. We'll see you there more next year, Jay.

downhill04

J, your back called. It wants a divorce from your brain. holy crap man, that looked brutal.

btw, were you dragging tin cans behind you or something? :lol:

LMAO. I think my back is going to take your advise and look for a good lawyer :wink:

Keep me posted on any trips that you guys might make before the end of the season. I would love to get a few more turns in with you guys. I'm going up to Stratton this Saturday to burn my free tickets I won on their website.

gmcunni

I'm glad you guys talked about Sundown as much as you did.

+1

i didn't keep count but probably skied @ Sundown 10 times this year after only skiing there once before, many many years ago. I brought my kids with me a number of times and turned my neighbor and his family on to it as well.

Nice mountain, I'll be a regular next year.

2knees

sniff sniff, and this is where it all started 3 years ago.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/7300-seeding-bumps-sundown.html?highlight=seeding

I remember that first day on the noreaster bumps like it was yesterday. They hadnt been worked in at all and the rope was still up. I was feeling crazy that morning and ducked it. :wink: and now, they give us almost top to bottom bumps for basically the entire year and a bump contest to boot. Its really unbelievable when you think about it. It was just that little section of noreaster below temptor. now, basically all of noreaster, exhibition, and then noreaster down temptor.