• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown Opening Day - 11/28/08

bvibert

Staff member
We were looking for ya Rossi, but I didn't have anything go go on other than your appreciation for old skis.

powhunter

Just back from doing a morning session. Met up with Brian and Carrie in the lodge to boot up. Was mostly cloud cover until about 10 and then blue skies and sun. Surface this morning was hard pack with areas of cookies, but real good for a November surface in November, but with temps int the mid 40's when I left around 11:15 the surface should loosen up nicely.

The bumps do start right after the Stinger merge on the left side. Not sure how they were down Temptor as I only hit a couple up around the merge. You will have to get the full bump report from either Brian or Tim.

Good to ski with everyone and it was nice to finally MRGisevil.

Overall a great job by everyone at Sundown for opening day.

jeff you joining us on sun??

bvibert

Staff member
Great conditions today! Very spring like, IMHO. Kinda firm in spots at first, but softening up very nicely by 11:00ish. We met up with o3jeff in the lodge and got out to the lift at around 8:30. I stuck with Carrie for a few runs since this was her first day out. We saw Tim going over head on the lift at one point early on and then saw Randi and a friend in the lift line. After a few runs I convinced Carrie and Jeff to give Nor'Easter a shot, so that I could slyly slip off into the bumps and meet them at the bottom. Carrie knows me too well and was fully anticipating my plan. ;) No problems though, that arrangement worked out fine. Tim met up with me at the top of the steep pitch of that run, we chatted a bit and then I jumped in... He skied with us for a bit before breaking off to meet up with his wife. Jeff had prior plans so he had to leave at 11:00, Carrie and I decided to ski 2 more runs after that and head home to take care of a few things before heading back out for an evening session. Nice skiing with Tim and Carrie again and nice to ski with o3jeff (I don't think we skied together last season??). Good to see Randi out and away from work for once too.

Temptor definitely needs some ski in work, some shovel work would help as well, and some top coating would definitely help. That said; having bumps on Temptor on opening day really kicked ass! I was really starting to get the bump groove back and was starting to feel good, despite taking my time through much of it to try and ski in some lines. The bottom 3rd of the main pitch had the nicest bumps and there were some good turns through there pretty early on. I started to get a line through the upper part, but it took a bit more work. They only seeded down to the bottom of the steep part and then the rest was groomed flat, Chris said that once they get a better idea of if they're going to need their remaining stock piles elsewhere or not they'll seed more of the run out as well. The bumps on Nor'Easter were in need of some help, though I was able to put together a decent line to the skier's right, including and almost perfect little kicker right at the beginning. The corner down into Temptor needs some help as well, then it flattens out right after the corner and there's 3 nice rollers on the flat section. I was having fun launching off the back side of those. :)

We ended up bailing at 11:30, since we had some things to take care of, but we'll be back tonight for some more radness.

All in all a great opening day. I saw a lot a familiar faces and talked to a bunch of people that I haven't seen much of since last season. One of whom was Bob Switzgable, the owner of Sundown, who had a big smile on his face every time I saw him. It was nice to be 'home' again. The Sundown crew really did an awesome job preparing the mountain for our enjoyment! :beer:

REALLY looking forward to an AWESOME season at Ski Sundown!

Beetlenut

I'm heading out now, hope to be skiing by 5 at the latest. I'll be working the bumps. Tan helmet, blue jacket,olive pants. RAD!

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Great getting out there this morning with you guys! The gremlins were messing with my head but I think I managed pretty well, all things considered. My boots were awesome (THANK YOU DAVE NEWMAN!!!!)! That is huge praise consider my past experience. Skis were turning nicely. My stances and technique need work, but whose doesn't? LOL. Jeff, thanks for skiing with me when Brian went off to the bumps! It was nice having someone who isn't there to ski as fast as possible or wants to ski the bumps exclusively. :D I'm no great skier so I appreciate your patience.

Otherwise, it was just good to get out. My knee protested a little (I really need to get back to the strengthening exercises :oops:) but I had CW-X Stabilyx tights on and they helped a tad with that and keeping muscle fatigue in check. The snow was softening up nicely when we left. Really no crowds (unless you're looking to do park stuff). Liftlines were basically nonexistent. Sundown did a great job rolling it out for opening day this year! :beer: Can't wait for the night session!

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I feel much better about reading other people's TR's now that I've had some on snow time. Man, it was downright depressing last week reading about everyone's fun times!

Greg

Staff member
Skied with my daughter over on Little Joe from about 1:30 till 4 pm. Fantastic snow and great cover over there. Abby did fantastic for her first day of the season. One tentative run the first time and then she opened it up and let 'er rip the entire afternoon. Learned to get on and off the chair herself and was able to push the bar up over her head. We had a blast hootin' and hollering, singing and whistling together for probably 12-15 runs on Little Joe. I was eying Temptor from the upper area in the lodge and saw Grassi ripping pretty smoothly down them. We also met up with Chris at the base and chatted a bit. Abby did great considering all new gear including 100 cm skis. She was making parallel turns and flying down the hill. I'm a very very proud daddy today.

Looks like I might be able to pull off a few hours over there later this evening, but with temps dropping into the mid to lower 30's, it looks like a night session of ice bumps. :lol:

Trekchick

Skied with my daughter over on Little Joe from about 1:30 till 4 pm. Fantastic snow and great cover over there. Abby did fantastic for her first day of the season. One tentative run the first time and then she opened it up and let 'er rip the entire afternoon. Learned to get on and off the chair herself and was able to push the bar up over her head. We had a blast hootin' and hollering, singing and whistling together for probably 12-15 runs on Little Joe. I was eying Temptor from the upper area in the lodge and saw Grassi ripping pretty smoothly down them. We also met up with Chris at the base and chatted a bit. Abby did great considering all new gear including 100 cm skis. She was making parallel turns and flying down the hill. I'm a very very proud daddy today.

Looks like I might be able to pull off a few hours over there later this evening, but with temps dropping into the mid to lower 30's, it looks like a night session of ice bumps. :lol:
A proud dad would have pics ;)

Greg

Staff member
A proud dad would have pics ;)

Didn't want to bother with pics or vid today. I wasn't sure how she would do with all new gear so I just wanted to not be distracted and be there to help her out. Had I known how much she would be thrashing, I would have shot some vid. Next time.

MR. evil

It was a very fun first day of the season at Sundown. All but 2 or 3 of my runs today were on Temptor. IThe bumps were pretty rough until about 12:00, but then they started to soften up and some lines started to form. I was actually amazed at the amount of traffic on Temptor. We left around 3:30, both really tired. But before we left we dropped off a case of beer for Jarrod and the boys.

Boy are my legs fried!

Tim

Grassi21

Great conditions today! Very spring like, IMHO.

Spring like is what pops in my head when I think about it. Sorry I missed you B. I was nursing a hellacious Guiness hang over today.

With the exception of one run on Nor Easter, I skied Temptor from 1:30 - 4. Lots of fun. I was even able to get the hang of altering my line in the bumps to compensate for that left turn at the top of Temptor. I had to yell at a couple of groups of kids for F'ing around in the bumps. Before someone calls me Scrooge, one group was having a snow ball fight in the middle of the bumps. Another group of kids had their skis off and were walking back and forth in the bump lines. :angry:

Great to see the Evils and Nelson. I can attest to what Greg said. His little one was grinning from ear to ear. Can't wait to brainwash my little guy.

MR. evil

Great to see the Evils and Nelson.

FWIW, Nelson is one of my co-workers. He joined us last year for a Wed. night bump session. He is going to try to make some more Wed. night sessions this season for some bump action.

Grassi21

FWIW, Nelson is one of my co-workers. He joined us last year for a Wed. night bump session. He is going to try to make some more Wed. night sessions this season for some bump action.

Super nice guy. He will be a good addition to the CLITS.

MRGisevil

Very cool to meet Jeff today. Awesome day. Great conditions for November. Ski Sundown crew did a spectacular job getting that mountain ready. Stellar.