• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing and Music

jimmywilson69

It seems that skiing and music have always gone together. Whether you listen to tunes while skiing/riding or listening to that awesome local band at Après. Music is very much a part of the winter snow sports scene.

I figure this thread will meander to more of a music thread, but that's OK!

If its a nice sunny day the Grateful Dead make an excellent Après soundtrack to grilling and drinking beers in the parking lot.

pinion

It seems that skiing and music have always gone together. Whether you listen to tunes while skiing/riding or listening to that awesome local band at Après. Music is very much a part of the winter snow sports scene.

I figure this thread will meander to more of a music thread, but that's OK!

If its a nice sunny day the Grateful Dead make an excellent Après soundtrack to grilling and drinking beers in the parking lot.

A few years back I was given a box of personal belongings from high school. There was a cassette tape labeled “Ski Mix ‘98”. All Nine Inch Nails, 311, and Wu-Tang. Brought back a lot of memories.

I have a couple of apres mixes to play at the car. Mostly guitar focused rock and a live jam band mix.

jimmywilson69

I still have a bunch of Cassette Mixes laying around. Unfotunately, my tape deck doesn't work anymore. I was a mix wizard back in the day. I used to do some DJing for parties and school dances, so I had a mixing board and my mixes actually faded between songs and such :cool::cool::cool:

I do like to listen some heavier music when skiing sometimes. I got into a Pantera Kick at one point this winter.

Abominable

8 y/o son is into at the moment. Lately it's been Rush, GNR and Nirvana

Count your blessings. Our ski jam at the moment is Frozen. And I don't mean the one where the wolves ate the skiers.

My four year old as she rips through the gates (really!):

"Let the storm rage oooooooooooooooonnnnn!
The cold never bothered me anyway"ZZ Gates.jpg

Last edited:

pinion

I got into a Pantera Kick at one point this winter.
Walk was on a different mix tape :)

I listened to a lot of Tool this winter
Descending is my drive-to-the-mountain pump song recently because eventually one of these days will be my swan swan and epilogue (sitting here with a very broken leg so hoping that moment has not passed...).

Smellytele

Saw tool in the 90’s at Fitchburg state on the Aenima tour. Great show. Think Maynard painted himself all in gold but I was a little fuzzy so not sure maybe misremembering.

KustyTheKlown

tool is awesome, but i have a hard time getting super into anything other than aenima and lateralus

i ski to a lot of JRAD and biscuits, but not the actual dead, which i tend to listen to more in my car

if i am not listening to the jambands, i am probably listening to rap. kendrick, rtj, some British rap i really like

on some quiet snowy grey days, i go for acoustic music like iron and wine or bon iver

i ski with a circa 2006 80 GB click-wheel iPod. doesn't drain my phone battery, don't need to rely on having reception. iPod was a gorgeous product.

if anyone longs for an old iPod with new technology (big SSD drives, Bluetooth enablement, etc), check out - https://eoe.works/

Last edited:

cdskier

Whatever music happens to be on Octane in the few minute drive to the mountain is what I listen to before skiing (or nothing if I choose to walk to the slopes). During skiing is weird...I have this random 15 second clip of classical music that keeps popping into my head while I'm skiing. And I have no idea what it is other than it sounds familiar. When I was in HS, for some reason I'd always have Black Sabbath's Ironman entering into my head as I was skiing. I vividly remember that playing over and over in my head while skiing at night at Hidden Valley in NJ on our ski club trips.

KustyTheKlown

Thank you for this site!!! The Nano is one of my all time favorite mp3 players (Zune probably being #1) and I never thought I could buy one these days.

hell yea. i actually havent purchased from him. i am still somehow on an iPod i have owned for 15 years. but when it finally shits the bed, I'm going straight to this dude for a 2 terabyte SSD iPod with Bluetooth enabled.

ColdRain&Snow

Long long ago, a Walkman and a parka full of cassettes

Long ago a cd player and a parka full of cds

Now my old iPhone stripped to only music

When I ski, I play more live performances than studio stuff generally, not much new music, lots of older stuff you’d laugh at

And for some unexplainable reason, on the drives to vt, have always played lot of Zappa

Hawk

My wife and I still have our Nano's. We loved them and played the shit out of them. The problem is the batteries are failing so run time is not that long.
In the 2000's before pandora and spottify I spent hours and hours ripping CD's onto hard drives using Media Monkey and then selecting about 100 albums and downloading it on the Nano's . I would put the thing on shuffle and skip songs I didn't like.

I borrowned everybodies CD's from family to friends to anybody that would let me borrow them. I ripped many terrabites before I quit. The library was huge and ranged into all genre. A ton of Jazz as my uncle collected that extensively. Most of what was on Archive.org for dead music becasuse a co-worker was one of the founding dead tape archive people. Any album from any major artist from the 60, 70, 80 and 90 because I had a coulpe of friends that dealt in Artist anthologies. And of course my 5 sisters and all thier varying musical interests. That is where I got most of my 60's and 70's stuff. Once music turned to Rap I kind of faded on that but have some. A big bummer was when a couple of the drives failed and I lost a bunch. No Icloud back up back then.

When I was skiing in the 80's I had a yellow walkman sport I used. I strapped it to my chest for easy access. I remember skiing the bumps and the music would slow down slightly upon hitting each bump when the batteries were low distorting the song. LOL

deadheadskier

Staff member
Count your blessings. Our ski jam at the moment is Frozen. And I don't mean the one where the wolves ate the skiers.

My four year old as she rips through the gates (really!):

"Let the storm rage oooooooooooooooonnnnn!
The cold never bothered me anyway"View attachment 57918

I still get plenty of Frozen jams from his 4 year old sister!

Definitely lucked out with our son. He's the most rock and roll 8 year old I've ever seen. All started near the start of the pandemic when he was 5. Local music club was shutdown, so they did shows in their parking lot. I brought him to a couple and he got hooked on live music. After two years of him beating the crap out of the couch as a drum set I bought him an electric kit for Christmas. He's on YouTube hours a day trying to play along to Dave Grohl and others. Like even in the morning before school he isn't watching cartoons, he's rocking out on his kit. Started him with formal lessons in January.

Even though Axls voice is totally shot, I have tickets to GNR at Fenway to take him to this summer.

Kingslug20

Bought a new Sony walkman..
Lot of Rammstein,tool,mettalica,maiden,volbeat..
Etc...
House full of stereos but I don't listen to them much...I should.

KustyTheKlown

I still get plenty of Frozen jams from his 4 year old sister!

Definitely lucked out with our son. He's the most rock and roll 8 year old I've ever seen. All started near the start of the pandemic when he was 5. Local music club was shutdown, so they did shows in their parking lot. I brought him to a couple and he got hooked on live music. After two years of him beating the crap out of the couch as a drum set I bought him an electric kit for Christmas. He's on YouTube hours a day trying to play along to Dave Grohl and others. Like even in the morning before school he isn't watching cartoons, he's rocking out on his kit. Started him with formal lessons in January.

Even though Axls voice is totally shot, I have tickets to GNR at Fenway to take him to this summer.

thats really lucky that your son likes real music

re: grohl - foo fighters are the opening band of a new venue in DC. it's a replica of the original 9:30 club, built next door to the current 9:30 club. it has a 450 capacity, and to celebrate 44 years of the 9:30 club, their first 44 shows are all $44 each and all feature bands who have no business playing teeny tiny rock clubs. foos are the biggest but there are some damn big names on this schedule for a 450 capacity club. grohl is a DC native. i went to college in DC so i have a particular interest in their music scene.

unnamed-9.jpg