• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing and Music

crank

Scored some last minute, half price tix to Bobby Weir and the Wolf Pack at the Cap Wednesday evening.

Bobby was good, not forgetting lyrics and singing with good timing. His guitar playing was also good.

And with Jeff Chimenti on keys (so good he is) a pedal steel player, a cello, fiddle, trombone, trumpet and a sax. They made good use of the horn and strings. Fiddle player was an outstanding soloist but they didn't turn him loose until near the end of the show.

Kind of sleepy, I came close to nodding off once or twice. Really good Dark Star and a really good Sugar Magnolia/ Sunshine Daydream for the show ending number.

Light show sucked... One of those where they were constantly flashing lights directly into audiences eyes and not lighting players other than Bobby hardly at all.

Too many solos by Bobby, who is not a great lead player. Especially when he is surrounded by such great players who can play circles around him.

Anyway, overall they sounded great and were better than I was expecting.

Last edited:

Smellytele

Scored some last minute, half price tix to Bobby Weir and the Wolf Pack at the Cap Wednesday evening.

Bobby was good, not forgetting lyrics and singing with good timing. His guitar playing was also good.

nd with Jeff Chimenti on keys (so good he is) a pedal steel player, a cello, fiddle, trombone, trumpet and a sax. They made goos use of the horn and strings. Fiddle player was an outstanding soloist but they didn't turn him loose until near the end of the show.

Kind of sleepy, I came close to nodding off once or twice. Really good Dark Star and a really good Sugar Magnolia/ Sunshine Daydream for the show ending number.

Light show sucked...ne of those where they were constantly flashing lights directly into audiences eyes and not lighting players other than Bobby hardly at all.

Too many solos by Bobby, who is not a great lead player. Especially when he is surrounded by such great players who can play circles around him.

Anyway, overall they sounded great and were better than I was expecting.
Love Jeff on the keys.
The wolf pack is definitely a new way to interpret the dead songs.
Hope to get to a show of theirs.

KustyTheKlown

caught bobby and wolf bros for free over the summer at the willie nelson thing at forest hills. fine for an hour for free. def not a band i'd want to pay top dollar for. the exception is the symphonic shows he did at the kennedy center. those were really beautiful.

you new hampshire folks should really go see joe russo's new jazz quartet the selcouth quartet. they are coming to you on feb 24. https://jimmysoncongress.com/event/joe-russo-selcouth-quartet/

i am quite bummed that their nyc show is the thursday of my long family ski weekend. very nice house rented near manchester.

these guys slayed at their first show ever over the summer in bkny

KustyTheKlown

ween just canclled their tour. looks like deaner is either not doin so hot and/or is earnestly trying to get sober

jimmywilson69

agree with both DHS and KtK. Aaron got himself clean years ago and it feels like they've been business partners as a band since the return 8 years ago. Which is fine, if that's what he needed to do to make it work. As a band they've been as good musically as ever since they've been back.

My wife bought me a fishing trip with Deaner for my birthday one year. It was apparent that he has some demons after spending a day with him. He was a hell of a fishing captain though. Maybe with them both sober, they can find common ground and write some new music some day. For now I'd just be happy if they were both in a healthy place and continued to kick ass for many years to come. I look forward to a newly invigorated Deaner for the 30th anniversary of chocolate and cheese shows in Philthydelphia later this year.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have mixed feelings on new material from Ween. I hate to be hypercritical of others art, but take Phish as an example. I'm not much a fan of 90% of their new music in 3.0. I'd rather they had produced one good album vs 5 mediocre.

Ween is obviously a very different band, but if the results are the same; I'd just assume they stick to the classics.

jimmywilson69

yeah new phish songs for the most part are meh... but their live playing and cohesive jamming at this stage are as good as ever.

I think Aaron and Mickey have some juice left to write some good songs but your point of sticking to the classics is also taken. They don't hesitate to fill each night with 30+ amazing songs. Including new takes on old B-Sides. That is what gives me hope they could write something that is still pretty good. Maybe I'm wrong...

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yeah. Phish can still blow my mind, but it's less frequent / consistent.

But I'm also a jaded vet / 1.0 snob. Saw them about 75 times between 94-99, but maybe only 20 since and only twice in the past 5 years. Maybe a friend will twist my arm and I'll catch one of the Great Woods shows, but I'm not planning on it.

These decisions are equal parts not wanting to see Trey's dad rock songs and just no longer really digging large venue shows any more . Too much of a hassle and expense.

Ween on the other hand I've only been disappointed once since their return and that was due to show length. They played Thompson's Point in Portland about 7 years ago as headliners for a 3 band show. Their set was like 1:20 plus an encore. Other than that I've always been satisfied at the 10 or so other shows I've seen them play since then. I definitely saw some stinkers right before their breakup though when Aaron was a total mess.

jimmywilson69

'as good as ever' is doing some heavy lifting there
I'll give you that...

For me thought I like where they are at right now. Dad rock songs aside.

I prefer pre-96 and post-2017 right now. when I go back and listen to the slow cow funks stuff, Its very boring.