• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing on the Cheap - 2013-14 Edition

xwhaler

I figure it's best to go to the 3 most expensive places to get the most bang out of this deal.

And/or choose mtns where any discounts are rare (through other avenues RSNE card, liftopia, discount days, etc.) and the ones that are available are not substantial.
Me thinking Stowe, Killington, Stratton/Okemo probably have the fewest discounts that I've seen.

dlague

And/or choose mtns where any discounts are rare (through other avenues RSNE card, liftopia, discount days, etc.) and the ones that are available are not substantial.
Me thinking Stowe, Killington, Stratton/Okemo probably have the fewest discounts that I've seen.

You are spot on with the least discounts list! I track discounts every year what do I have available, what are my least expensive options and which ones did I actually use. Stratton and Stowe never are in the list of places I have been.

However,
At least Okemo has VT and NH resident discounts for Sundays and Killington often offers early/late season discounts in the form of two fers or reduced rates.

We bought the pass and plan on skiing Stowe, Killington and Sugarbush.

Smellytele

You are spot on with the least discounts list! I track discounts every year what do I have available, what are my least expensive options and which ones did I actually use. Stratton and Stowe never are in the list of places I have been.

However,
At least Okemo has VT and NH resident discounts for Sundays and Killington often offers early/late season discounts in the form of two fers or reduced rates.

We bought the pass and plan on skiing Stowe, Killington and Sugarbush.

Killington also sells the K-tickets this time of year good all season long for $58 and the $38 for weekdays

dlague

Here is an approach to skiing on the cheap and raising money for a great cause! Hope on the Slopes is a ski and snowboard resort campaign used to raise money for cancer research. You can participate individually or as part of a team.

Basically it cost $30 to enter the event and if you raise $100 average per person through their website or paid at the event then each person gets a lift ticket for the day at no additional costs. My family and friends entered as a team and easily raised enough for the entire team to ski - it has been very fun. They have different challenges that go towards winning prizes. For example: Vertical Challenge for a pair of Armada skis.

This will be our forth year our family is doing this and we enjoy it every year. We participate at Hope on the Slopes Jay Peak which has been able to raise the most out of all northeastern resorts with Canmore as a close second.

Read more below! Pick your state, sign up for the event (the links are not quite ready) and have lots of fun doing a good thing!

http://www.cancer.org/myacs/greatwest/areahighlights/hope-on-the-slopes

Hope on the Slopes | American Cancer Society

A ski and board event to fight cancer

Hope on the Slopes is a team and individual skiing event. Participants engage in a virtual competition with other Hope on the Slopes participants in two categories: Dollars Raised and Vertical Feet. Separate registration is required for individuals and teams.

The goal of Hope on the Slopes is to not only have fun, but also raise money for the American Cancer Society, helping in its mission to eliminate cancer. Pledges raised through Hope on the Slopes help provide cancer patients and their families with information and support, fund research that leads to improved treatments, educate the public about cancer prevention and early detection, and help ensure that everyone has access to lifesaving cancer screenings.

Each Hope on the Slopes event has a website where you register and make donations, get event info and each participant is provided an easily customizable page where stories and photos can be uploaded. To make a donation or to learn more about a Hope on the Slopes event check the links below.

Colorado

Hope on the Slopes at Breckenridge

Connecticut

Hope on the Slopes at Mohawk Mountain

Massachusetts

Hope on the Slopes at Berkshire East
Hope on the Slopes at Wachusett Mountain

New Hampshire

Hope on the Slopes at Pats Peak
Hope on the Slopes Race To Beat Cancer

New York

Hope on the Slopes at Greek Peek Mountain Resort

Oregon

Hope on the Slopes at Mt. Hood

Washington

Hope on the Slopes at Crystal Mountain
Hope on the Slopes at Stevens Pass
Hope on the Slopes at White Pass

Vermont

Hope on the Slopes Smugglers' Notch Report
Hope on the Slopes Bolton Valley
Hope on the Slopes Pico Mountain
Hope on the Slopes at Jay Peak
Hope on the Slopes at Sugarbush

watkin

HA!!! they weeded out all the cheaters who tried to buy more than one. ( i got caught doing that last year ) Get em while you can!

watkin

I tried buying multiple 3-day passes last year, using different email addresses. When they started processing credit cards a couple days later they saw that I was the same person, called me, and said that they would only allow me to purchase one.

My guess is alot of people tried similar things this year. So once they find out how many they actually sold according to their policy, they probably re-released the leftovers.

MidnightJester

3/5 VT Pass is sold out again...... time will tell if this is the real sell out point or they are doing a bunch of small batch releases.

Skier4life

3/5 VT Pass is sold out again...... time will tell if this is the real sell out point or they are doing a bunch of small batch releases.

I bought one this morning and both 5 and 3 were available. This afternoon when I checked back to get another for my wife they were sold out.

steamboat1

I tried buying multiple 3-day passes last year, using different email addresses. When they started processing credit cards a couple days later they saw that I was the same person, called me, and said that they would only allow me to purchase one.

My guess is alot of people tried similar things this year. So once they find out how many they actually sold according to their policy, they probably re-released the leftovers.

Last year was the first year you weren't allowed to purchase two 3 day passes. Previously you could. I don't remember if it was this site or another site I asked the question why they changed their policy. A person from Ski Vermont responded & said the reason the policy was changed was so they could make the passes available to more people. Sounds fair enough to me.

Skier4life

This is a great idea, I have been trying to get involved for the last couple of years but haven't been able to for one reason or another [usually scheduling etc.] This year I am determined to start a team with my colleagues, friends and family. Jay Peak or Smuggs sound great!

What's the point of the free ticket, I presume that as a part of a team you would be skiing on the mountain anyway and as part of the event that should come with a lift ticket no??

Here is an approach to skiing on the cheap and raising money for a great cause! Hope on the Slopes is a ski and snowboard resort campaign used to raise money for cancer research. You can participate individually or as part of a team.

Basically it cost $30 to enter the event and if you raise $100 average per person through their website or paid at the event then each person gets a lift ticket for the day at no additional costs. My family and friends entered as a team and easily raised enough for the entire team to ski - it has been very fun. They have different challenges that go towards winning prizes. For example: Vertical Challenge for a pair of Armada skis.

This will be our forth year our family is doing this and we enjoy it every year. We participate at Hope on the Slopes Jay Peak which has been able to raise the most out of all northeastern resorts with Canmore as a close second.

Read more below! Pick your state, sign up for the event (the links are not quite ready) and have lots of fun doing a good thing!

http://www.cancer.org/myacs/greatwest/areahighlights/hope-on-the-slopes

Hope on the Slopes is a team and individual skiing event. Participants engage in a virtual competition with other Hope on the Slopes participants in two categories: Dollars Raised and Vertical Feet. Separate registration is required for individuals and teams.

The goal of Hope on the Slopes is to not only have fun, but also raise money for the American Cancer Society, helping in its mission to eliminate cancer. Pledges raised through Hope on the Slopes help provide cancer patients and their families with information and support, fund research that leads to improved treatments, educate the public about cancer prevention and early detection, and help ensure that everyone has access to lifesaving cancer screenings.

Each Hope on the Slopes event has a website where you register and make donations, get event info and each participant is provided an easily customizable page where stories and photos can be uploaded. To make a donation or to learn more about a Hope on the Slopes event check the links below.

Colorado

Hope on the Slopes at Breckenridge

Connecticut

Hope on the Slopes at Mohawk Mountain

Massachusetts

Hope on the Slopes at Berkshire East
Hope on the Slopes at Wachusett Mountain

New Hampshire

Hope on the Slopes at Pats Peak
Hope on the Slopes Race To Beat Cancer

New York

Hope on the Slopes at Greek Peek Mountain Resort

Oregon

Hope on the Slopes at Mt. Hood

Washington

Hope on the Slopes at Crystal Mountain
Hope on the Slopes at Stevens Pass
Hope on the Slopes at White Pass

Vermont

Hope on the Slopes Smugglers' Notch Report
Hope on the Slopes Bolton Valley
Hope on the Slopes Pico Mountain
Hope on the Slopes at Jay Peak
Hope on the Slopes at Sugarbush

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

Hop

Last year we donated some advertising space and like 300 stickers to Hope on the Slopes as part of their giveaway bags. Pretty awesome work they are doing

dlague

Last year we donated some advertising space and like 300 stickers to Hope on the Slopes as part of their giveaway bags. Pretty awesome work they are doing

Yes they are! The event at Jay Peak raised $22,000 for two years in a row while Cranmore was around $18,000. I know those were the top two. I thought for sure Sugarbush would have cranked but....

This is a great idea, I have been trying to get involved for the last couple of years but haven't been able to for one reason or another [usually scheduling etc.] This year I am determined to start a team with my colleagues, friends and family. Jay Peak or Smuggs sound great!

What's the point of the free ticket, I presume that as a part of a team you would be skiing on the mountain anyway and as part of the event that should come with a lift ticket no??

I think that the raising $100 for free lift ticket is an incentive to increase fund raising goals - which is the purpose of the whole event. Otherwise people could just sign up and pay $30 and raise nothing and just ski for less money!

xwhaler

Just a quick PSA to anyone who still is thinking about buying a Ride and Ski card. They posted this earlier in the week on FB. I bought mine last night.

Besides having The Beast join our card, we wanted to let you know that the free lift ticket with purchase offer is ending on Friday this week. We've had such a great pre-sale, we're running out of lift tickets. So order before the end of the week!

http://www.rideandskine.com/Home.html