• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing on the Cheap - 2013-14 Edition

abc

I had the same thing happen but the people totally just ignored me like I was selling meth and begging for money to buy booze.
I never had that happened to me. Every time I needed another one for a twofer, I found one with no problem, even when there were others selling 1/2 price tickets! ;-)

I am amazed at how many people do not find this to be a good deal! Use it once and it is paid for anytime there after equals money in your pocket. Then again it probably does not fit well into pass holder plans but it can for side bar trips! We used it 14 times last year to the following mountains:

Pats Peak
Sugarbush
Burke
Ragged Mountain
Saddleback Mountain
Jay Peak
BoltonValley
Attitash
Wildcat
Mount Snow

Still, I don't PAY to get twofer coupons. You need to be at the window during the "rush hour" to find someone to pair up. The early birds are all regular, passholders. Go to the window too late, you have a long wait for ANYONE to come along. And he/she might already got a ticket from liftopia!

ScottySkis

I never had that happened to me. Every time I needed another one for a twofer, I found one with no problem, even when there were others selling 1/2 price tickets! ;-)

Still, I don't PAY to get twofer coupons. You need to be at the window during the "rush hour" to find someone to pair up. The early birds are all regular, passholders. Go to the window too late, you have a long wait for ANYONE to come along. And he/she might already got a ticket from liftopia!
+1 who wants to try selling when you can be on a chair lifts or skiing.

dlague

I don't sell a 2 fer! While I purchase the lift ticket we split the cost so if it is $89 for a 2 fer then we split at $45 each! I have never had anyone say no to saving $45 when they would have had to pay $89. Pretty simple math here! Granted if you are there at 10 finding someone at that time is tough but we are generally there earlier than that.

Smellytele

I have had people not take the 2fer. If they are there with 2 people and I offer it to them to use for the 2 of them they act like I am giving out pamphlets for the Hare Krishnas

xwhaler

If your going solo trying to use a 2fer I've found the best thing to do is show up with exact cash. Find someone, let them put it on their card and hand them the $.

mig_lepuy

I think all of you should shut up about selling half of a twofer in the parking lot. Pretty much all of these tickets state "not for resale". So what you are doing is shady. Now I don't personally care if you do it. But industry people do read these forums. If they think this practice is widespread, they are less likely to participate in programs like the RSNE or gas discounts. So if you're going to re-sell in the parking lot, keep it to yourself.

Smellytele

I think all of you should shut up about selling half of a twofer in the parking lot. Pretty much all of these tickets state "not for resale". So what you are doing is shady. Now I don't personally care if you do it. But industry people do read these forums. If they think this practice is widespread, they are less likely to participate in programs like the RSNE or gas discounts. So if you're going to re-sell in the parking lot, keep it to yourself.

This is not reselling at all. If I were actually selling them for a profit then it would be this is not selling.

dlague

It is not selling! If I have a 2 fer and I am by myself and I find some one else to make the pair, there is no sale. I sure as hell am not going to pay full fare if I have a 2 fer and if I can get some one else to benefit from it too - no biggie!

Someone in the lift line or the parking lot is no different than if I try to get a friend, family member or even someone from this forum to come along.

mig_lepuy

It is not selling! If I have a 2 fer and I am by myself and I find some one else to make the pair, there is no sale. I sure as hell am not going to pay full fare if I have a 2 fer and if I can get some one else to benefit from it too - no biggie!

Someone in the lift line or the parking lot is no different than if I try to get a friend, family member or even someone from this forum to come along.

If you find someone in the parking lot and money is exchanged *before* buying the ticket, you are simply sharing with your new friend.

If you pay for the twofer and then head out to the parking lot and sell it, that is reselling, which is almost always forbidden on the lift ticket terms.

OTOH, from the standpoint of the resort, they don't like to see either of these. They offer cheap twofers because they are hoping that people will bring a friend that might not come along otherwise. Or you are skiing at their resort instead of somewhere else. But they don't want you taking away the revenue from a person that would have otherwise purchased a full price ticket.

So I am saying that it's not a good idea to talk about the reselling subject. Other than that, I think this is a fantastic thread. Thanks to all who contribute.

ScottySkis

Price Chopper ski pass finally found some details not easy to do.
https://www2.pricechopper.com/orderform/skipass.shtml
skibackground.jpg
Place your Passbook Order Today!
Quantity
x
+ $5 Shipping & Handling

Total: $
Billing Information
Adv. Card (optional)
Name
Street
City
State/Province or
Zip Code
Email Address
Phone
Ship the Passbooks To:
Recipient
Street
City
State/Province or
Zip Code
Payment Information
Card Number
Expiration Date /
Credit Card

ScottySkis

Wow they changed that up no NH ski areas in fact this is very NY focused! Oh well - I am pretty covered for this season in any case!

In the past I believe it was only NY and Vermont places. Here the fine print from Price Chopper for this year:
Choose from among the following two packages: Our $119 Family Mountain Passbook features three passes, each good for an all-day lift ticket at Toggenburg Mountain, Wachusett Mountain, Belleayre, Plattekill Mountain, West Mountain, Song Mountain or Shawnee Mountain for just $119, or our $149 Big Mountain Passbook, featuring three passes each good for an all-day lift ticket at Gore Mountain, Whiteface, Smuggler's Notch, Bromley, Windham Mountain or Jiminy Peak.

Both books include additional money-saving offers from the mountains and Price Chopper.

Family Mountain Passbook ski vouchers may be redeemed for a lift ticket at Toggenburg Mountain, Wachusett Mountain, Belleayre, Plattekill Mountain, West Mountain, Song Mountain or Shawnee Mountain Sunday-Friday, non-holiday, thru end of season, Spring 2014. Big Mountain Passbook ski vouchers may be redeemed for a lift ticket at Gore Mountain, Whiteface, Smuggler's Notch, Bromley, Windham Mountain or Jiminy Peak Sunday-Friday, non-holiday, thru end of season, Spring 2014. (For specific end of season dates, please contact mountain directly.) Cannot be combined with any other discount offer. Non-refundable. Cannot be resold. No cash value. Non-transferable. Not valid on the following dates: December 23, 2013 - January 5, 2014; January 18-20, 2014; February 15-23, 2014.

You may order only 1 type of passbook at a time using this form. If you desire quantities of both the Family Mountain Passbook AND the Big Mountain Passbook, you must complete this form twice. There is a $5 shipping and handling charge for all orders. Orders are processed within 3 to 4 business days and sent via USPS Priority Mail or UPS Ground. Orders earn Fuel AdvantEdge gasoline disounts. Discounts will be applied to the AdvantEdge Cardholder's AdvantEdge Card within 4 business days after receipt of your passbook.

abc

Wow they changed that up no NH ski areas in fact this is very NY focused! Oh well - I am pretty covered for this season in any case!
There's a lot of disadvantage of living in NY. But since we're usually travelling to ski somewhere up north, we're free to go anywhere there's a good discount! ;-) VT and NH are equally fair game. And when there's south tracking a storm, we even get to ski our discounted NY resorts too! :D

Thanks to alpinezone, I hadn't paid full price ticket for the last couple years!

Though for this year, I'm likely to be pretty close to almost all set for the skiing I plan to do. So will not be pre-paying any more discount tickets. I'm staying here more to spot programs I don't know about for future use (or if I decide to ski more once we get into the full swing of the season)

BenedictGomez

I am amazed at how many people do not find this to be a good deal! Use it once and it is paid for anytime there after equals money in your pocket.

I dont think it's a great deal. Not unless you plan on hitting their designated stops for the BOGO aspect, and I dont travel based on deals, I travel based on snow conditions.

And when you're an Extreme Discount Lift Ticket'er", you mock people who think $10 off is a good deal. I'm certainly not saying it's not a bad thing, but it just dont impress me much.