• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing on the Cheap - 2014-15 Edition

Jcb890

Was there this past weekend and it was dead. I usually go in March and most often coincides right around St. Pattys Day. I bet no one will be there in April.

I can't complain because we had an awesome weekend last weekend at Mt. Snow, but I wish I knew that they did these monthly sooner! At least I'll know for next season.

Stowe is about an hour longer drive than Stratton and $2 more ($7 if you include the Evo card), but I've never been and really want to try it. I might just make the trek up April 11th or 12th.

Jcb890

It is $5 one time. If you never lose the card you can just keep reloading. Stowe is awesome, it's one of my favorite mountains, definitely worth checking out.

Everyone always has great things to say about Stowe, which is one of the reasons I really want to get there. Yeah, I noticed it was a one-time $5 charge and can be reloaded. That's why I didn't really factor it into the cost vs. Stratton.

Jcb890

I tried to put a list together, but the only mountains that ever got back to me were Stowe & Whiteface.

http://www.aceskiandboardclub.org/2014-2015-ski-club-appreciation-days/

I just went ahead and sent emails to most of the mountains in NH, VT and ME. I will certainly pass along any information I find out. It may not help for the 2015 season, but will be good info to keep in mind for the 2015/2016 season.

Here is the list of mountains I emailed:

Loon - No
Killington - No
Mt. Snow - No
Sugarloaf - No
Sunday River - No
Attitash - No
Cannon - No
Cranmore
Bolton Valley
Jay Peak
Mad River Glen
Smugglers' Notch
Magic Mountain
Stratton - Yes, but only CSC & NYCSC: see pg. 96 for details
Bretton Woods - No
Okemo - Maybe???: see pg. 96 for details
Sugarbush - Yes: see pg. 96 for details

Last edited:

steamboat1

I had no idea Stowe did it once per month. That's pretty awesome because otherwise Stowe's ticket prices are rather crazy and there's not really much for discounts to be had on Liftopia usually.

Have you been to Stowe on one of these days? Is it usually a lot more busy than usual?
They usually don't even get to a second page of the sign in sheet. They do check legitimacy though. Seen a few people get rejected trying to get over.

steamboat1

This was discussed in the Voucher & BOGO thread in regards to Stowe, but does anyone (or any websites) have a list of MOUNTAINS offerings of Ski Council Appreciation days?

I wish I had known about Stowe having one March 20-22! Stowe is doing another Ski Council Appreciation day(s) on April 10-12, which is 2 weeks away.

Is there a website with a list of all mountains' Ski Council Appreciation days? If not, does anyone have all of this information collected somewhere like a spreadsheet?
They've all been listed in this thread by myself & others. Do a little research yourself & don't expect everything to be handed to you on a silver platter.

Jcb890

They've all been listed in this thread by myself & others. Do a little research yourself & don't expect everything to be handed to you on a silver platter.

Haha damn dude. I don't mind doing the research, but what's the harm in asking if anyone has done it already? As I wrote above, I emailed most of the mountains in NH, VT and ME today.

So far, Mt. Snow and Sunday River have both replied and informed me they do not have these days.

steamboat1

Haha damn dude. I don't mind doing the research, but what's the harm in asking if anyone has done it already? As I wrote above, I emailed most of the mountains in NH, VT and ME today.

So far, Mt. Snow and Sunday River have both replied and informed me they do not have these days.
Well Mount Snow lied to you.

steamboat1

http://www.stowe.com/groups/council/

Looks like they raised the rates substantially, especially for multi- day tickets. If I remember correctly last year was only $69 for a two day ticket & $102 for a three day pass. Also looks like they are only offering deals for three consecutive days next season. In the past they ran one or two five consecutive day appreciation days.

Posted July 20

abc

I had made a list at the beginning of the season. But mine only goes to end of March because it's now so late in the season you can typically get a better deal than the Club Appreciation Days (Stowe the exception perhaps).

It's really not that hard to compile that list. There're only a few big ski clubs, they each list the special dates. Merge them and make a master list. Easy peasy!

What's much harder but infinitely more useful is a master calendar of ALL the special dates, by category, each month. It needs to be updated frequently as mountains announce special days left and right too. I asked last year. Didn't see much interest in such a list.

In fact, my much less ambitious "wish list" of a better organized "deal thread" got pretty much no support. So I made only the list to be used on my own.

Last edited:

Jcb890

Updated my original post. Cannon's reply:

"We do not have any Ski Club Appreciation days on the calendar."

Jcb890

Updated my original post again. Add Killington to the "No" list.

And again. Add Bretton Woods to the "No" list.

Another update for today:
Add Okemo and Loon to the "No" list. Both replied that they setup days though CSC and Okemo does Metro NY clubs also, but no general Appreciation Days for any clubs... but the Metro Club information has conflicting information.
From the club PDF:

DECEMBER Saturday Dec. 20, 2014 $48, Sunday Dec. 21, 2014 $44
JANUARY Wednesday Jan. 7, 2015 $45, Sunday Jan. 11, 2015 $52, Friday Jan.
30, 2015 $45, MARCH Friday Mar. 13, 2015 $42, Saturday Mar. 14, 2015 $47,
Sunday Mar. 15, 2015 $44, Saturday Mar. 28, 2015 $42, Sunday Mar. 29, 2015 $42

On the Metro Club information pages, I was able to find that Sugarbush offers these days.

Thursday, January 8th to Sunday the 11th, 2015, Thursday, Friday and Sunday
rates will be $48 and Saturday is $55.

Add Sugarloaf to the "No" list.

Stratton - YES - but only to CSC members or NYCSC members:
March 29, 2015 (Sun.) $48 per lift ticket
April 10, 2015 (Fri.) $42 per lift ticket
April 11, 2015 (Sat.) $42 per lift ticket
April 12, 2015 (Sun.) $42 per lift ticket

Attitash - NO

Last edited:

steamboat1

Ski club/council appreciation days are good for all northeastern councils & clubs belonging to any of those councils, not just the CSC. I don't know how many times I have to repeat this. Killington/Pico, Okemo & Mount Snow all offer them in addition to many other areas. You say Mount Snow said no yet they are having days this weekend, 3/28-3/30. You say Killington says no yet they are having them next weekend, 4/3-4/5. Okemo had them last weekend, 3/21-3/23. All the councils purchase bulk tickets together & all the areas that offer these bulk tickets offer appreciation days for all the councils. CSC puts out the most comprehensive list of appreciation days & prices but that doesn't mean those days are limited to only CSC member clubs. While CSC puts out the most comprehensive list it is not all inclusive as you can see 2 of the 3 days at Sugarbush aren't listed in addition to several days at Stowe. Many New York areas also offer appreciation days which don't even make the CSC list.

Jcb890

Ski club/council appreciation days are good for all northeastern councils & clubs belonging to any of those councils, not just the CSC. I don't know how many times I have to repeat this. Killington/Pico, Okemo & Mount Snow all offer them in addition to many other areas. You say Mount Snow said no yet they are having days this weekend, 3/28-3/30. You say Killington says no yet they are having them next weekend, 4/3-4/5. Okemo had them last weekend, 3/21-3/23. All the councils purchase bulk tickets together & all the areas that offer these bulk tickets offer appreciation days for all the councils. CSC puts out the most comprehensive list of appreciation days & prices but that doesn't mean those days are limited to only CSC member clubs. While CSC puts out the most comprehensive list it is not all inclusive as you can see 2 of the 3 days at Sugarbush aren't listed in addition to several days at Stowe. Many New York areas also offer appreciation days which don't even make the CSC list.

I was curious if mountains offered generic Ski Club Appreciation days where any Ski Club member gets a discount, no matter the club. Which is what Stowe is doing April 10-12 and they do this once per month. Most other mountains only seem to do the CSC and/or NY Metro Club days. Obviously clubs put out the information on tickets, so I'm not researching those. I'm researching ones that offer a Club Appreciation Day which is not specific.

steamboat1

I was curious if mountains offered generic Ski Club Appreciation days where any Ski Club member gets a discount, no matter the club. Which is what Stowe is doing April 10-12 and they do this once per month. Most other mountains only seem to do the CSC and/or NY Metro Club days. Obviously clubs put out the information on tickets, so I'm not researching those. I'm researching ones that offer a Club Appreciation Day which is not specific.
attachment.php

Attachments

• double_facepalm.png
    double_facepalm.png
    154.6 KB · Views: 126

Jcb890

There ARE days outside those listed on the CSC and NY pages. For example - Stowe April 10-12 is not listed on CSC, but is an appreciation day for ALL Ski Club members, no matter the club. So, you could be part of a club which is only good on the West Coast normally, but on a day like that, you'd get a discount at Stowe.

You bitched that I didn't do the research and wanted things handed to me on a silver platter. I'm doing the research and sharing with all and you still bitch. If you don't want to read the information, then don't waste your time doing so. I am attempting to inform people and help them "SKI ON THE CHEAP"... you know, like the thread says.

Jcb890

If that is the case, why don't the CSC lists show all of the same dates/places as the Metro lists?

As an example, let's say this weekend the NY Club gets $20 tickets at Stowe. If I am part of the Connecticut club, can I go and get that same $20 ticket? From what I have read, the answer would be no because that is just specific for the NY Club.

Now, if it were a GENERIC Ski Club Appreciation Day (open to all clubs), then CSC would get that same discount as the NY Club. These are the dates I am trying to find for people. The club-specific dates people have access to through CSC and/or the NY Club lists already.

Maybe I am just misunderstanding and confusing myself. I'm new to the whole Ski Club/Council thing.

xwhaler

Jcb890, keep up the good work. I've not ever fully understood the ski club thing either so your questions are good.
Appreciate your research. Steamboat1 can get quite cranky at times in here---

steamboat1

If that is the case, why don't the CSC lists show all of the same dates/places as the Metro lists?

As an example, let's say this weekend the NY Club gets $20 tickets at Stowe. If I am part of the Connecticut club, can I go and get that same $20 ticket? From what I have read, the answer would be no because that is just specific for the NY Club.

Now, if it were a GENERIC Ski Club Appreciation Day (open to all clubs), then CSC would get that same discount as the NY Club. These are the dates I am trying to find for people. The club-specific dates people have access to through CSC and/or the NY Club lists already.

Maybe I am just misunderstanding and confusing myself. I'm new to the whole Ski Club/Council thing.
Jcb I have verified what I said with officers of the various councils. I & others here have obtained discounts at the areas listed on the CSC calendar while our clubs don't belong to CSC. Yes they put out the best list but it's not limited to only their council.