• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skinning Wachusett

catsup948

After three amazing days at Saddleback I'm sticking around central mass this weekend. I'd like to do a little skinning to get ready for the Tbolt race next weekend. Is wachusett cool with one guy doing a dawn patrol run?

tmcc71

Sure, as long as its before 8 am. This weekend is the great race and it expected to be in the 50's. This brings massive crowds. Expect 3000 people or more. Sellout weather. They won't like it if you are there during operation hours (after 8 am).

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I was reading this morning about sidecountry off the backside of Wachusett. Is this legal and possible? I did read that you need to avoid the old growth areas.

Next season, I really hope to get into skinning and BC skiing.

.squirrely.

plenty of decent sidecountry, if you can call it that, at the wa. harrington hiking trail, semuhenna hiking trail and old indian trail all are skiable and are sick right now with all the snow weve got. drop off ropers to monadnock, lots of cliffs and a little pillow line hidden in there too, coverage is a little hairy still but its skiable. dont ski the pine hill hiking trail, extremely rocky and you have to hike quite a ways when you get to the bottom. also patrol are nazis on weekends and during the vacations, so id keep it on the dl if youre gonna try to ski it this week

MadMadWorld

I was reading this morning about sidecountry off the backside of Wachusett. Is this legal and possible? I did read that you need to avoid the old growth areas.

Next season, I really hope to get into skinning and BC skiing.

There is the Pine Hill Trail. Not sure it's even maintained anymore. Now might be a good time to give it a shot. You will need to park a car or hitchhike though. I only did it a handful of times but it's actually a lot of fun.

Woops missed the last post.

dmw

I think I've read a mention somewhere (I think it was here?) of someone saying they would ski the back side power line years ago.