• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SLC with non-skier

mishka

I'm planning to go West last week of January. For now decided to go to Salt Lake City… Never been there.

I have two questions here.
1. Overall advice on skiing Utah. For now I'm planning stay in Sandy and ski Alta, Snowbird and Solitude.

2. My wife suddenly expressed interest to join me. We tried together "ski vacation" only once years ago in North Conway and that didn't go well. On the second day she ran out of thinks to do.
I understand I will need better hotel with good pool so she can spend day or two there.... What else?

as I understand for skiing car not necessary. Do I need a car anyway for my wife to get around?

Tin

as I understand for skiing car not necessary. Do I need a car anyway for my wife to get around?

sst%20205.jpg

mishka

really in January .....afterwords I'll be walking home I understand it's Friday night but can we be more constructive lol

Tin

really in January .....afterwords I'll be walking home I understand it's Friday night but can we be more constructive lol

Good point. It is January, need something to get you through snow. And it is Utah, everyone has a gun...

IS3.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm planning to go West last week of January. For now decided to go to Salt Lake City… Never been there.

1. Overall advice on skiing Utah. For now I'm planning stay in Sandy and ski Alta, Snowbird and Solitude.

2. My wife suddenly expressed interest to join me. We tried together "ski vacation" only once years ago in North Conway and that didn't go well. On the second day she ran out of thinks to do.
I understand I will need better hotel with good pool so she can spend day or two there.... What else?

I will chime in later...are you committed to Sandy? Not much to do there.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Brad J

IMO better to " PROMISE " her a nice warm vacation SOON. There is not to much to do. If you stayed at the Cliff and gave her the credit card for the spar treatments, that may get you through a day or two

thetrailboss

Staff member
OK, so I am now at a real computer and can respond instead of pecking away at my iPhone screen....

My only question: what terrain do you like to ski? That will make a big difference.

So this is going to be another issue. Not a big one, and one that is easily addressed because SLC is close to the ski areas.

First, I would NOT stay in Sandy...because it is basically a suburb of SLC with not much to do except big box store shopping and the Aquarium. Because of your wife's needs, I'd suggest staying either downtown SLC or in Park City. If you really want to splurge, a stay at the Grand America will be nice. They have great restaurants, a nice spa, is walking distance to City Creek Shopping Mall, and gives your wife options. Her having a car will allow her to go Outlet Shopping in Park City or Lehi. There are some nice museums in SLC (Natural History, The Leonardo, etc). Movie theaters, etc. If you stay at either the Little or Grand America they are owned by the same family that owns Snowbasin...so they have deals.

As to you...skiing does not require a car...especially if you get the Ski City Superpass because that includes a UTA Ski Bus Pass on it. That, and a nice discount, are upsides. Limiting yourself to Brighton, Solitude, Alta, and Snowbird are the downsides (if that is even one). The pass allows you to ski one resort per day. Looks like they may allow you to do a SolBright pass on one day so that you can ski both Solitude and Brighton. Depending on what you like to ski this may be all you need. If you want to go to Park City, Deer Valley, Sundance, or Pow Mow, you can't use this pass.

As mentioned, you can both go to the same resort and find things to do...and go to a different one each day. For example, you ski Snowbird and she go to the Cliff Spa and the Aerie for lunch. You go to Deer Valley and she goes to a spa there or goes and shops downtown Park City. You ski Sundance and she goes to their spa or some other offering they have (cross country skiing, snowshoeing, zip tour, art and film galleries, winter flyfishing).

Knowing what you want to ski will help me narrow down where to go for you. Right now we are in a good active pattern with snow beginning to pile up. Skiing at Alta and Snowbird last weekend was great. The off-trail offerings are now coming into play.

Happy to help....either here or via PM. I may be available for a private tour of Alta or Snowbird too. ;)

catskills

I would suggest staying in Midvale, UT with a very short walk to the UTA Trains to go downtown Salt Lake and short walk to be first bus stop to take bus to Alta and Snowbird. I have stayed at this Days Inn that also provided a ski package that included very reasonable priced ski tickets and bus tickets. The bus to Snowbird and Alta starts just on the other side of the Train tracks in that big parking lot. You will be guranteed a seat on the bus on the way to Snowbird and Alta. Coming back is another story.

To make things easier I would rent a car for first day to get from Airport to Hotel. I believe you can return a Hertz car just down the street from this Days Inn. We were able to get from the Hotel back to the airport by Train and Bus Transfer for about a $1.00 .

http://www.daysinn.com/hotels/utah/salt-lake-city/days-inn-salt-lake-city-south/hotel-overview

Days Inn Salt Lake City South

7251 South 300 West, I-15 Exit 297, Salt Lake City, UT 84047

BTW while you are there check out the Sportsmans Warehouse right next to this hotel. This is like Cabela's. They have a lot of winter clothing, guns, and ELK jerky. You got to try the ELK jerky.

mishka

+ 1. It may be fine if you are going to go out and ski all day and then come back, but it would not be my first choice. You're going to want to be in SLC proper probably.

for me I need very little. Eat, sleep go skiing lol.... cheap clean hotel, transportation to the mountain that's about it.

From what I read here starting to question idea of my wife to go to Utah with me

prsboogie

We stayed at Newpark on the bus line to Park City. The room was great. Walking to shopping food and a movie theater. Bus picks you up free to Park City- Canyons and Deer Valley. Downtown is a 25 minute bus ride which is convenient for those after dinner rides home!!

The pick is off my deck which had a hot tub on it too. Indoor outdoor pool on the main level, spas deli everything we needed. My wife didn't ski and she was fine while I did!

Attachments

• 1452479666209.jpg
    1452479666209.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 61

thetrailboss

Staff member
We stayed at Newpark on the bus line to Park City. The room was great. Walking to shopping food and a movie theater. Bus picks you up free to Park City- Canyons and Deer Valley. Downtown is a 25 minute bus ride which is convenient for those after dinner rides home!!

The pick is off my deck which had a hot tub on it too. Indoor outdoor pool on the main level, spas deli everything we needed. My wife didn't ski and she was fine while I did!

Newpark is nice! Stayed there a few years back.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone