• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Slopeside Courtesy

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i usually do not find myself in these situations, so i really can't comment. most people i encounter on the slopes are courteous and only accidently cause any of the above issues. i strongly believe this has to do with the areas i ski at as the only times i have had noticed issues were at ASC operated ski areas (attitash, K, SR) and to a lesser extent loon and WV on a busy weekend.

i come from a position that i am ultimately responsible, so when other skiers are reckless around me, i ski extra defensively to the point i will stop completely on the side of the trail and wait for the yahoos to clear outta the line i want. it isn't nessicerily right, but to be safe you often have to compensate for the recklessness of others in order for everyone to remain safe.

pepperdawg

riverc0il said:
i come from a position that i am ultimately responsible, so when other skiers are reckless around me, i ski extra defensively to the point i will stop completely on the side of the trail and wait for the yahoos to clear outta the line i want. it isn't nessicerily right, but to be safe you often have to compensate for the recklessness of others in order for everyone to remain safe.

Well put.

sledhaulingmedic

I found myself back in this situation at K-mart last week. Normally, I ski midweek at very quiet places, so I'm spoiled to having the place to myself.

I don't like to have other peoples' actions dictate mine, but I'd rather be able to be an old skier, than be a "good skier". Fine words of wizdom from Riv.

hammer

My biggest concern is that, because of my lack of experience, I may do things that would be seen as "discourteous".

Has anyone been in this situation, and if so how did they handle it? I realize that many of the people who frequent these forums have many years of skiing/riding experience, but what did they do when they were less experienced and they unintentionally cut someone off or had a close call? I always apologize but sometimes I think that more experienced people aren't all that understanding...

As far as pet peeves are concerned, my pet peeve is usually the people who stop in the middle of a slope; not just because it's inconsiderate but because (especially on the greens) it's an invitation for a crash.

Big Game

uphillklimber said:
Another pet peeve is someone going faster than me that goes by me (I have no problem with that). But as soon as they get in front of me, they cut me off :eek: . I am guessing that they believe that since they have the right of way, being the downhill person, it's okay to cut someone off???? That really ticks me off :angry: and if I can catch up to them, I'll give them the "hey what for". I am not a

Yep..same thing happen to me...I was poaching the left of the trail, some stupid snowboarder passes me on the right, and then cut in front of me. The nose of my board collided with the underside of his board. He got away scot free, but I got a crack in my board. I started yelling at this doofus about "knowing the code" and his defense was that I was at fault because I rear-ended him.

Of course this idiot was completely wrong. He originally failed to grant me the right-of-way. The resulting collison was caused by his negligence. So I continued with my lawyerly analysis, and used an anology of someone pulling out of a driveway while you're cruising down the road at 50 mph. Of course you would rear-end that person, but they breached the orginally underlying duty to drive correctly or alternatively, you had no duty to yeild the right of way to them.

But I could see I was getting nowhere with this turkey. So the only thing I have left was petty revenge. And I figured the best way to do it, is to remain being this jackass' friend. I bought him a beer and have been pretending to be his friend for the last 10 months. Going as far to help him move, dinner with his wife and kids, laughing hysterically at monuments of wit, etc. I figure I keep him close to me, karma will grant me an opportunity to extract vengenance upon him in a beautifully poetic manner. And after it happens, I will say "Joe, there nothing as sweet or fulfilling as trail justice."

hammer

Big Game said:
But I could see I was getting nowhere with this turkey. So the only thing I have left was petty revenge. And I figured the best way to do it, is to remain being this jackass' friend. I bought him a beer and have been pretending to be his friend for the last 10 months. Going as far to help him move, dinner with his wife and kids, laughing hysterically at monuments of wit, etc. I figure I keep him close to me, karma will grant me an opportunity to extract vengenance upon him in a beautifully poetic manner. And after it happens, I will say "Joe, there nothing as sweet or fulfilling as trail justice."

Actually, this sounds a little scary.... :eek:

ChileMass

hammer said:
Big Game said:

Actually, this sounds a little scary.... :eek:

Time for a restraining order on Big Game - ???? :D

But to address the initial issue, yeah, you gotta just let the idiots clear out above or below you before you start out, because if they don't know the code or can't be bothered to adhere to it, it's doubtful you are going to enlighten them slopeside, especially when they have a group or a girlfriend to impress. You'll just come off as a buzzkill and a jerk. The best thing you can probably do until they grow up (or better yet hit a tree) is to be safe yourself.

M

MsMtSnow

What peeves me

My biggest annoyance is having people come up to me and suggest my students are skiing too fast/beyond their ability, or that I am skiing to fast, or I am the one at fault when I am standing at the side of a trail in plain view when someone crashes into me.

My students are 6/7/8 year olds being prepared for competitive skiing. I have been employed and certified by Mt. Snow to know what I'm doing - that's why I wear the jacket!

Jessica

dmc

Re: What peeves me

MsMtSnow said:
My students are 6/7/8 year olds being prepared for competitive skiing. I have been employed and certified by Mt. Snow to know what I'm doing - that's why I wear the jacket!

Jessica

I wear a jacket to keep warm and dry...
But thats just me...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com

dmc said:
MsMtSnow said:

Jessica

I wear a jacket to keep warm and dry...
But thats just me...
:blink:
i think she meant an instructors' jacket?
:lol:

JimG.

Staff member

riverc0il said:
i think she meant an instructors' jacket?
:lol:

I'm pretty sure DMC knew that...I was an instructor at Hunter for many years and was one of the few ski teachers there that paying customers took seriously. When Hunter took over the ski school from Karl Plattner years ago, a new management style came into play and skiing ability became less of a prerequisite for being an instructor than playing by alot of silly rules. As a result, there have been a few paying customer/instructor conflicts and DMC has been involved with more than his share, none of which were his doing.

I left ski school 2 years ago so that I could coach my 2 oldest boys instead of watching someone else do it. I still keep my PSIA certification current, and I still respect the ski teaching community. You'll have to excuse DMC for making fun, but believe me he has his reasons for poking fun at instructors.

Big Game

ChileMass said:

Oh yes, blame the victim. Man, I get no respect.

But you do bring up a good point, maybe that's what we need, restraining orders on offending skiers. While some may claim to "know the code," they only disrespect it by refusing to "live the code." Such offenders will have to keep 50 feet away from other users at all times. No weapons of any kind. Treatment as deemed appropriate.

TeleGrrrl

Solon, Maine. Avatar: Mule Skinner, Saddleback, ME
Big Game said:
ChileMass said:

Oh yes, blame the victim. Man, I get no respect.

But you do bring up a good point, maybe that's what we need, restraining orders on offending skiers. While some may claim to "know the code," they only disrespect it by refusing to "live the code." Such offenders will have to keep 50 feet away from other users at all times. No weapons of any kind. Treatment as deemed appropriate.

"Vengeance is a dish best served cold"

Actually, I think it's Colorado that holds the person who causes an injury responsible for damages.

tg

BeeBee143

The better skier or rider should be correspondingly more responsible. And I think that because you are supposed to be aware of what's going on around you and ski safely and responsibly, it's pretty hard to blame someone else when you're involved in a ski accident. I find it easy to let the hotdoggers go by, and if I make a mistake or catch an edge and inadvertantly cut someone off, I'm all over apologetic, like on my knees with egg on my face because it WAS my fault apologetic.

just my $.02

ctenidae

Seems to me that, as it goes on the slopes, so it goes in the rest of society. I may not have the benefit of years on the slope to guide me, but I am a student of life. One of the great faults I find with American society is a question of responsibility. It seems to be a great love of ours to blame someone else. Last year a Ski resort got hit with 80% of the responsibilty when some kid with no business doing so tried some trick in the terrain park and broke his neck, and there are many other cases just the same. Is it the resort's fault? Not by a long shot. The kid should have known better.
You get tangled up in a crash with some hotdogger. Is it your fault? No, the other guy should have known better.
Unfortunately, people don't know better. That's where it becomes your responsibilty to know what's going on around you, and be aware of what other people are doing. Shift the blame around all you want, but it takes two people to make a two-person crash. Sometimes shiat happens, and it's no one's fault, per se.
So, what to do? We all have to shift our behavior to meet the realities of the situation. We know there are lesser skilled skiers (I'm one of them) out there who are often on the edge of screwing up. I try to do my part by reading the terrain and people in front of me, and trying to plan accordingly. I also look uphill and plan accordingly. We all have to do that. Sure, it sucks when you get cut off. Sure, there's a certain danger in people flying by, half out of control. Skiing is a dangerous sport. Seems to me, this question of people who need restraining orders is just another factor we all have to consider, just like trees, ice, deep snow, and everything else that could cause a problem.
My advice- move along, plan ahead, and enjoy your time on the slopes. If you spend all your time being pissed off, I'd rather you hang out in the lodge.

/here endeth the rant