• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

smugglers notch for xmas?

octopus

we're thinking about going to smuggs for 4nights over xmas vacation. i see they only have 13 trails open, which doesnt seem like much to me. i was wondering if any body has any info on more trails opening or what its like up there, I've never been. i'll be going with my wife and 16 y/o son, our other option is killington(better choice?). we're traveling from boston, btw.

BenedictGomez

The weather is projected to stay cold until Christmas and there is at least a few chances in the next few weeks for snow to be on the way. My guess is they'll be in decent shape for terrain opening by the 22nd'ish.

Savemeasammy

I would be wary of the fact that they only have a few doubles servicing the good stuff. It's probably a busy place around Xmas. Smuggs is an awesome ski area, however I am holding out until they are closer to 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottySkis

They get about the same natural snow as Stowe. I never been there during holiday but I would think crowded but not like crowd of South Vermont. Some really sick terrain I hear is on Madonna.

BenedictGomez

Mount Mansfield has received 3" to 4" just this evening, Stowe posted a moment ago. I think with this cold air locked in place, the ski areas are generally going to be in great shape by Christman. My 2¢.

crank

We skied there December 26 and 27th last year and it was not that crowded. Conditions were great with a lot open, but there were a bunch snow storms right around then too. We were getting face shots on some newly opened expert runs on the 27th! Well, we may have ducked a rope or 2.

Huck_It_Baby

I've been at Smuggs 5 or 6 times so far this season. The few trails they have open ski like a lot more to me. I've skied everything from ice/rocks to powder on Sterling and hiked Madonna for the same. Over the weekend I did a small tour out by the pond and skied the interconnect trails between Stowe and Smuggs.

I did a TR for early last week:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/126300-SMUGGS-Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday

Weather is kicking up right now. Cold air and some snow moving in. This weekend should be decent. If I hit Smuggs I'll let you know how things are looking.

Huck_It_Baby

I would be wary of the fact that they only have a few doubles servicing the good stuff. It's probably a busy place around Xmas. Smuggs is an awesome ski area, however I am holding out until they are closer to 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mtn ops trying to open Madonna by this weekend.

octopus

looks like we're gonna go to smuggs for xmas. thx for the info guys and please keep us informed huck-it.

xwhaler

Smuggs is awesome. That would definitely be my pick. Enjoy it....sounds like a great spot to spend Xmas vacation week

Sent from my VS980 4G using AlpineZone mobile app

canobie#1

Go to killington. Smugglers is stuck in the 70s. The condos are nasty, the lodges are outdated and the lifts are old, long and slooow. Although smuggs had awesome trails, killington is far better.

BenedictGomez

Go to killington. Smugglers is stuck in the 70s. The condos are nasty, the lodges are outdated and the lifts are old, long and slooow. Although smuggs had awesome trails, killington is far better.

If you're more interested in drinking and showing up at 11am than you are in actually skiing, then yes.

Oh no, the "lodge is outdated" and the condos arent luxurious.....lol.

Quietman

Sorry, I can recommend Smugglers. They are trying to be a "major" resort but their most recent lift is from 1979. I really like retro areas like Mt Abram but they only try to be what the are. My one time at Smuggs was on a non holiday weekend and the wait for the Madonna lift was 30+ minutes and Sterling was about the same. Luckily it rained for an hour and scared the majority of skiers away. We had a nice afternoon, but it ranked quite low on my list of recent trips. The terrain is amazing, but their lift infrastructure is sadly lacking. Having to wait 30+ minutes on the 3 main lifts means they need to fix this issue, not maintain the status quo for 30+ years. We often talk here about Jay and Burke investing in the on mountain amenities, but Smuggs is also ways behind. To those who love it, enjoy!

canobie#1

There are so many people that I know that got screwed when they got to smuggs. Yeah it's about the skiing, but killington has so many more things to enjoy for vacation. Plus you get way more runs with the faster chairs. Why it was edited to say killington is stuck in the 70s is beyond me lol
Smuggs base area is just as bad as bolton valley's hotel, if not worse.

Quietman

I find that extremely difficult to believe.

I looked back at my pictures and it was Saturday March 10, 2007. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the lines. Yes it was over 6 years ago, and I'm not that young any more, but the lines were very, very, very long. It had snowed the a fair amount the day before, and the morning was bright, warm and sunny, then a cold front came through with showers many left. I have nothing personal against Smuggs, glad others enjoy it so much.

Other people have posted the same experiences Here and Here

Huck_It_Baby

There are so many people that I know that got screwed when they got to smuggs. Yeah it's about the skiing, but killington has so many more things to enjoy for vacation. Plus you get way more runs with the faster chairs. Why it was edited to say killington is stuck in the 70s is beyond me lol
Smuggs base area is just as bad as bolton valley's hotel, if not worse.

I have never spent a night at any condo or hotel at Smuggs and I rarely even go into the lodge. I just drive 40 minutes from my house to the upper lot and jump on the lift. I tend to eat my lunch I bring from home at the shelter on the long trail by Sterling pond. Killington has more modern condos and faster lifts. I could see why a family might choose to spend their $$ at a more updated and contemporary resort...especially if you have kids.

K has more bars and restaurants. Smuggs has gnarlier terrain and more snow. For me it's all about the mountain not the amenities but I realize not everyone is after the same thing. The skiing experience each of us is after varies from person to person and family to family. You gotta find your slice and be at peace with it.

I do find that Smuggs clears out pretty early in the afternoon. A lot of people call it quits around 2pm and hang out in the lot grilling and drinking beers. Easy to get lots of laps in late in the day. The Sterling lift is only about 10-11 minutes long.

Start your day early and get those runs in before the crowds. There is no HSQ going in anytime soon so you have to take it for what it is for the time being.