• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snow..coming ???

KustyTheKlown

racially tinged.

I was planning on asking the cops to just cut it for me. also racially tinged in that I feel confident doing this as a mid 30s white dude

tnt1234

All but decided on catskills over stowe. Kind of hurts, but half the drive for 4x the snow seems like the right move.

This of course all but assures a surprise big storm for the north country.

cdskier

All but decided on catskills over stowe. Kind of hurts, but half the drive for 4x the snow seems like the right move.

This of course all but assures a surprise big storm for the north country.

As long as the roads are drive-able on Friday I'll be in Sugarbush this weekend. If my ski gear was home instead of in VT, I'd be tempted to stay home and day trip to the Cats instead though if the forecast continued to show them doing well.

sankaty

This model is not particularly reliable at this range (84hr RGEM), but this would not suck:

SN_000-084_0000.gif.558ff0229e8343fa10a6065cac79ef55.jpg

Posted for entertainment purposed only.

Edit: Not sure why it's so small. The orange/red areas are 10"+

abc

The way I see it, there's no way I want to chance driving up to VT on Friday in the thick of the storm.

So do I want to gamble to pre-position on Thursday? The answer is no. Not because the low snow total. 6" on K would be pretty darn sweet. But with the high wind forecast, it could turn into a very frustrating waiting for the lift to turn day.

The Cats may get a good dump is the other factor. Why drive 4 hrs and pay for motel when I can sleep in my own bed for free?

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

assuming the reports and models are correct, I agree, no reason to pass up a possible 20" in the cats, that never happens, and travel will be treacherous

cdskier

assuming the reports and models are correct, I agree, no reason to pass up a possible 20" in the cats, that never happens, and travel will be treacherous

The travel part depends which model verifies and what actually happens. While the Cats are more likely to do well, the Hudson Valley itself is still highly questionable and could be more rain than snow. So the Thruway could be possibly ok. I'd be going almost up to Lake George before cutting across to VT and at that point you're above much of the precip. I need to see more model runs though for sure and get a better handle on timing...

machski

Personally, I wouldn't believe any model for this storm on precip type or amount. Best shot for snow is highest elevation furthest west (IE Whiteface). New England high terrain may do ok in the end but will likely start wet there. Also risk with Northern reaches possibly getting shut out of precip altogether. Tough storm to plan for.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

bdfreetuna

10" - 14" for just about all mountains in VT south of I-89.

Berkshires 7"

Better for Gore especially than the NAM. 18" for Gore and Catskills.

New Hampshire starts to depend more on elevation. Maine kind of gets shafted.

Not very much at all for PA (which looks insane on the last NAM).

This is based on a 48 hour outlook which doesn't go far enough forward to account for the tail end of parts of the storm. The midnight model will give us a first peek at the whole picture. RDPS seems to be one of the more reliable models for snowfall though without exaggerating. Sometimes it can underestimate for the same reason. There may be reasons to give one model more credibility over others at this point in time but I'm still learning.

rocks860

So without reading back through 5 pages is this going to be legit in Vermont? I’m trying to decide whether to go somewhere on Saturday. If not Vermont would somewhere else make more sense? I’d be coming from Connecticut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocks860

Any place in particular? I’m not too familiar with the catskills

caribchakita

Website
www.bonairecaribbean.com
I'd say S. NH and S. VT will have some decent snow. Due to wind, Sunday may be the best bet. We are considering Crotched or Mt. Snow for Sunday, a blast up and back, same day. CM has 44.00 tickets. Snow, I can get 55.00 but I am thinking smaller mountain, low key and plus. Francestown General Store has killer donuts and an insane collection of craft beers. WIN

rocks860

I was thinking maybe mount snow as a relatively quick day trip

dhmcgill87

NWS now gives hunter a 29% chance of 12+ inches. and that's in town, not factoring elevation on the slopes.

high bust potential, but still encouraging.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk