• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snow..coming ???

NYDB

Basically I’m just wondering whether this snow will make a difference in having decent coverage on what’s open at magic, or weather it will still be treacherous on newly opened stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No doubt it will still be rock ski's / boards on the newly opened stuff at magic. But I am guessing it won't be that bad with the dense nature of the snowfall.

But on a saturday? Battling crowds at Mt snow where they will groom the fuck out of everything save the northface for the weekend crowd vs mostly au natural and mellow crowds at Magic? Not even a hahd choice.

Rowsdower

Basically I’m just wondering whether this snow will make a difference in having decent coverage on what’s open at magic, or weather it will still be treacherous on newly opened stuff.

If its the heavier, base building type you will have less of a problem. You still need like 12-16 inches to get that in play. More on the steeper pitches.

That said I'd still rather ride the mellow trails at Magic over standing in line at Mt Snow.

sankaty

Really interesting drive from Reading Vermont to Stratton. Snow above 2000 feet. Snow between 1000 ft in 2000 feet dependent on the intensity. Some drizzle at lower elevations when it was it was very light. Snow at the Stratton base. Winds are not much of an issue yet, but I'm guessing that might change.

legalskier

I was tempted to get my rock skis tuned up last week as they're pretty beat up. So glad I didn't.

gladerider

in NNJ, switched over about an hour ago. now all snow and accumulating.
great to hear Bell got 10". looks like i am heading there tomorrow.

SkiingInABlueDream

No doubt it will still be rock ski's / boards on the newly opened stuff at magic. But I am guessing it won't be that bad with the dense nature of the snowfall.

But on a saturday? Battling crowds at Mt snow where they will groom the fuck out of everything save the northface for the weekend crowd vs mostly au natural and mellow crowds at Magic? Not even a hahd choice.

If this storm delivers I think Magic will absolutely not be un-crowded tomorrow.

BenedictGomez

It's snowing 50¢ piece sized flakes here. Incredible looking. That means I'm near the r/s line though, but it's cool to look at.

jaytrem

Power is out at Hunter. They actually had the top open before they lost power (no west side). Was initially planning on going today, switched it to Monday though. Will be at Mt. Snow tomorrow and Sunday if all goes well. Hopefully back in the trees!!!

SkiingInABlueDream

right. a few 5 minute waits from 10am-2pm vs battling the hordes at Mt Snow/Okemo/Stratton. And it's still going to be windy tomorrow right? Summit access is not guaranteed.

If it's only 5 mins I'd be surprised. That said yes for any amount of lift wait tine I'll still take magic over those others.
If I ski tomorrow it will probably be magic fwiw.

rocks860

Oh man decisions decisions. Now I’m kinda leaning magic

drjeff

My wife's 11:10 text to me from the hill at Mount Snow - still snowing hard, but the snow is getting wetter, almost an old school elmer's paste consistency now....

legalskier

Power is out at Belle- closing for the day.
''**11:16am Friday Morning Operations Update** The mountain is closing for the day due to power outages''

sankaty

Stratton is awesome today! Finding silky bottomless turns all over the mountain. Snowing very heavily right now. Winds not much of an issue.

rocks860

Anyone know if black will be running tomorrow at magic?