• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snow Sport Helmets

Charlie Schuessler

Although I wear a helmet when I ride motorcycles or bicycles, I have never worn one while skiing. In the past the thought of wearing one for skiing was quickly forgotten. However this summer, the thought of wearing one to protect the few remaining brain cells is not vacating my thoughts....

I'm interested in other's thoughts on what they looked for when selecting a helmet and what they liked or disliked after the purchase and ultimately it's use on the mountain.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I bought mine after Sonny Bono and Mr. Kennedy died in the same season. The two high profile cases really made my parents nervous back then (98 I think). I own a 1999-2000 Boeri Axis helmet and really like it. I will not ski without it (and have even returned home losing 20-40 minutes of skiing to get it!).

Best thing to do is to try them on. At the time, I was looking for a vanilla model, but a friend of mine was like, "go for this one...it is not much more $$$." Entry models then were about $85-100, and this model listed at $130, but I got mine for $100. It vents well, looks good, fits well, is light, and never gets too hot or cold. The right one should be snug, but not too tight and warm, but not hot. All will have similar venting and liners too. Be sure there is a google clip on the back.

I've worn mine in -20F all the way through 60F and it has been comfortable.

I find that a lot of other serious skiers also wear one. When my GF picked up the sport this season, I demanded that she wear a helmet and we got her the Boeri Myto Sport and she loves hers as well.

There are a lot of good models out there including Boeri, Marker, Ovis (I think), Giro, etc. Look for a good warranty as well (Boeri is life including if you crash).

Boeri was very good to me giving me free helmet bag(s) and google clips for my model.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
bought a gyro 9 last year and love it. wouldn't ski without it any more except late spring skiing when it's really hot and expert terrain is closed any ways.

sledhaulingmedic

I have a fat head (To quote Mike Myers in "So I married an axe murderer...": "It's a virtual planetoid! It's got it's own weather system!")

My problem has been finding one that fits. That's the first criteria. Next is good ventilaltion, as I tend to run warm. Finally, I need to be able to put an ear piece for a radio.

I've had good luck with Boeri and Leedom.

jimme

I got one before the 01/02 season because to me it made sense to wear one when skiing glades, tree and woods.* Also, it should help if someone runs into me.

Jofa was (is) the only company I know of that still makes the old school helmet style (Jofa World Cup 2500) which is a large part of the reason I chose it. Also, they meet the European CE Standard. I'm now warming up to the other various styles available and will probably change when the time comes to buy a new one. Why? The chin strap rises from under my chin , needing adjusting for each run and chair ride. The goggle guide fell off until I epoxyed it on, then it fell off again and got lost. A 'nipple' to block a hole fell out and got lost. Can't say I'd reccommend Jofra for those reasons. I've heard that a helmet should meet Snell standards, but I don't ride a motorcycle. Is this what they use? http://www.smf.org/stds.html

What I like about the helmet is that it's very warm. I don't feel it interferes with my vision or hearing.

There's tons of inforomation on this subject and I found this pretty straight forward. http://www.smf.org/stds.html

Jimme

Whether it will really help is debatable, but I tend not to ski fast, especially off trail.

hammer

jimme said:
Whether it will really help is debatable, but I tend not to ski fast, especially off trail.

Based on what I've read about the subject, wearing a helmet is kinda like driving with a seat belt...if you are going fast enough when you hit something, nothing's going to save you, but at slower speeds, having the protection can make all the difference.

In any case, I wear a helmet all the time. Makes me feel much more secure as I dodge around all the other beginners and novices on the green and blue trails, and I usually don't have to worry about my head getting cold.

ChileMass

Never have had one on my head except when I raced competitively as a kid, and the state of Maine mandated us to wear helmets when doing giant slalom. However, I am considering it as I get into my mid-40s. Not quite as confident or as stable as I used to be, although I still don't worry much even when I am ripping down some blue or black trail. But, I have more to lose if some knucklehead jumps out in front of me.

hammer

The most ominous statement in the article was that at higher speeds, the benefits of the helmet were dubious. By nature of what skiing is, you will be going forward, right where the hole for your face is. If you manage to turn your face, expecting impact, it is likely that you will turn your whole body also and thus the skiis, avoiding impact. If you manage to turn your face, but not your body, it may be very likely that you are going so fast at impact that no "seatbelt" would have helped.

Thanks for the additional detail, uphillklimber.

I may have read the same or a similar article, and the whole thing about the benefits being dubious at higher speeds did bother me a bit. My main hope is that, as I get more comfortable with skiing at higher speeds, I'll keep it under control so I'll never have to "test" my helmet.

Given that the potential benefits of wearing a helmet are so much greater for beginners, I'm surprised that the industry hasn't done more to push the idea of wearing helmets from the start...

hammer

uphillklimber said:
I guess that is a matter of perspective. I think the industry, as a whole, does a pretty good job of encouraging the use of helmets. I suspect it is a lot like motorcycle helmits: If it ain't the law, a bunch just plain won't do it.

Good points.

It's interesting, however, that bicycle helmets are the law in many (if not most or all) states, even though the same arguments about their effectiveness and limitations can be made.

Does anyone know of any resorts that require helmets or if it's the law in any states yet? If helmets were really seen by the industry as being an important piece of safety equipment, I'd think that, at the very least, resorts would be requiring them for liability reasons.

Of course, then the resorts would be "highlighting" that skiing can be a risky sport (which, IMO, anyone with half a brain should realize after being on skis for 5 minutes).

Greg

Staff member

hammer

Thanks for the references, Greg!

I figured that this was addressed before but I guess I was just too lazy to look :)

N

NEtracker

I still have no helmet. It's been on my list of things to get, so this season, I'm watching for the sales....
(Always wore a helmet whitewater canoeing; lots of rocks!)

thetrailboss

Staff member
NEtracker said:
I still have no helmet. It's been on my list of things to get, so this season, I'm watching for the sales....
(Always wore a helmet whitewater canoeing; lots of rocks!)

Though I hate to say it, the best deals are at the end of the season (assuming that they have your size/color choices).

My GF bought a new Boeri Helmet in March at Pat's Peak (a ski area, mind you, where the prices on such goods are usually higher). She got hers for 50 percent off the price, ended up being $65. Very good investment, very good deal. The sad part is the one she had originally (and bought for $20 from my brother) was "lifted" at Tenney.

N

NEtracker

Re: Sales, yeah I kind of figured that. Just wasn't thinkin' of the purchase at the end of last season. Who knows, maybe a pre-season sale will have something...

thetrailboss

Staff member
NEtracker said:
Re: Sales, yeah I kind of figured that. Just wasn't thinkin' of the purchase at the end of last season. Who knows, maybe a pre-season sale will have something...

A lot of times ski shops will discount the items from the previous season. I'm sure you will find something good.

I have been skiing with a hekmet 4 over 30 years, even B4 they became the norm.
Had to due to raceing...I guess I never took it off after training/raceing.
People use to tease me 4 sporting one, i never listented to them.
and I would allways lell back...DORK!
(not saying that one that does not were one is)
one thing I want to add..."The Best Helmet Fits Best"
That goes the same 4 Ski/Board Boots!
SRJ!