• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snow Sports Industry Stats (Interesting)

dlague

Some of the stuff here may have relevance to some othere discussion currently happening like "Why are there no Snowboard only resorts?". Or how small of a population we are compared to all of the US population. I found it to be interesting. Another thread talked about the increase in skier visits in Vermont whereas nationally it dropped.

These are 2010 stats and around that time 2010-2011 snow sports reached a peak and has been in decline ever since.

• The total number of individual participants in all six disciplines is 21,226,000.
  • 7.5% of the total U.S. population (6 and-older) participates in at least one snow sport discipline.
  • Alpine skiing grew 5.4% and snowboarding 10.4% from the 2008/09 to 2009/10 seasons.
  • Alpine skiers (44%) and snowboarders (31%) make up three-fourths of all participants.
  • About 60% of the alpine skiers and 62% snowboarders are concentrated in 10 states.
  • High income earners account for large segments of participants with 47% of all alpine skiers and 32% of all snowboarders respectively having annual incomes of $100,000 or more.
  • Increased diversity among all segments of snow sports participants is a steady trend with African American, Asian and Hispanic ethnicities growing on-average 5% per year and now collectively making-up about 30% of all snow sports participants.
  • Snowboarding is a young man’s game, two-thirds (66%) of the participants are males and 64% fall between 13 and 34 years of age. Males make-up 60% of alpine skiers and 44% fall between 13 and 34 years of age.
  • The number of snowboarders that also ski went from 26% in 2008/09 to 34% in 2009/10.
  • Snowboarders participate, on average 58% more days (11.7) than alpine skiers (7.4).
  • Participation rates range from 9.0 days for cross country to 7.3 days for snowshoeing.

Updated numbers up to 2012-2013 season

sia stats.jpg

Last edited:

Rowsdower

I thought snowboarding peaked ~2006/2007? I have to wonder how much of this is weather dependent. The previous two seasons weren't very good, and the ski population is made up of a large contingent of less than die-hard participants who might forego a ski trip if the weather isn't panning out. Snowboarding might be more stable as many snowboarders are less concerned about overall conditions (i.e. as long as there's a terrain park).

fbrissette

What is the difference between freeski and alpine in that graph?

I would assume they mean 'alpine touring' where you climb under your own power (but the numbers would be too large), but the term 'freeski' is definitely confusing. You can freeski in-bound and out-of-bound, using lifts or earning your turns.

dlague

funny but untrue. Out of all my non-tele friends, all younger than me I am the one usually waiting for them.

My brother-in-law is 55 and rips it up on teles! He is generally one of the fastest! He is a fan of turning though!