• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snow Valley Vermont Info

Slidebrook87

Last Spring I took a visit to the abandoned Snow Valley ski area (Winhall VT) and hiked down to the abandoned double chair. I took some photos and am wondering if anybody has any more photos or information that they’d like to share on this thread.
2cf813d194a0aa4992103341f7542b61.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slidebrook87

I took a few hikes there this winter scoping it out as a place to earn a few turns, but the crappy soVT weather this winter never gave me a chance to partake. View attachment 26616View attachment 26617View attachment 26618

Sent from my SM-G973U using AlpineZone mobile app

The second picture is pretty cool. Looks like a complete lack of tension caused the bullwheel and tension carriage to slide. The only thing keeping that lift intact is that return terminal structure that the bullwheel is resting on.

Rowsdower

NELSAP has a good page on Snow Valley. You can also check out NE Ski History. They have great resources. Lots of vintage pics and media.

That area has been closed since the mid 80s. Crazy to see the lift standing with trees growing up around it like that. Usually the lifts are removed, especially after that length of time. Rare to see one standing in that condition.

Slidebrook87

NELSAP has a good page on Snow Valley. You can also check out NE Ski History. They have great resources. Lots of vintage pics and media.

That area has been closed since the mid 80s. Crazy to see the lift standing with trees growing up around it like that. Usually the lifts are removed, especially after that length of time. Rare to see one standing in that condition.

That’s exactly what intrigues me about it so much. All these other places have lifts that are either partially or fully removed.

Slidebrook87

That's what I thought. I think you can still see the trails from the road.

Once you have driven down Snow Valley Road though, you have to hike down another rode to the old base area. There you will see the main Steeplechase slope as well as the foundation of the original lodge which burned several years ago. In order to see the double chair though, you have to hike down past the lodge and find a way to cross the swamp that forms at the bottom of the t bar. The bottom of the t bar has completely collapsed. There is a downhill stretch to the double chair that usually has water flowing down it. I went just after they got a huge dump of rain so there was certainly a ton of mud and swampiness. The ideal time of year to go is either during stick season with no snow, or early spring, but don’t go after a monsoon. I plan to go back this spring at some point and hike to the summit.

Slidebrook87

f37c926ca2cdaaa6a75e64f067ccda17.jpg

It’s just crazy to be walking through the woods and then immediately see a chairlift in the middle of it.