• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowboarder changing to a skier

caribchakita

Website
www.bonairecaribbean.com
I used to ski many years ago and stopped due to $ and a move to the Caribbean. I started to snowboard 5 years ago and love it but I feel that skiing is safer and as I get older, I'd like to take care of my body. Any tips/recs on changing to skiing? Man, the skis are super short and fat. LOVE that....

Lessons recommended? Best place to learn?

Glenn

If you skied awhile back, you should be able to pick it up again with the newer skis. Where are you coming from? How far do you want to drive to get the mountains?

tnt1234

I used to ski many years ago and stopped due to $ and a move to the Caribbean. I started to snowboard 5 years ago and love it but I feel that skiing is safer and as I get older, I'd like to take care of my body. Any tips/recs on changing to skiing? Man, the skis are super short and fat. LOVE that....

Lessons recommended? Best place to learn?

Well, if you haven't skied since the days of long, skinny and straight, you aren't going to have any problem getting back into it. Snapped skis are remarkably easy to turn.

I skied from age 8-23 way back when. My last set of skis on that era were 208cm straight as an arrow. Took a break for about 10 years, and when I got back into it, I bought a pair of 176cm Rossi Bandits and it was like I had never stopped skiing. Pretty crazy....

Funky_Catskills

Just do it...

I get back on skis every now and then... I didn't start snowboarding to stop skiing... :)

To me snowboarding is WAY easier on my body. Falls are better in my opinion.. Easier to manage.. My back and knees don't get hammered from bumps and stuff... lots of reasons... :)

AdironRider

Just do it...

I get back on skis every now and then... I didn't start snowboarding to stop skiing... :)

To me snowboarding is WAY easier on my body. Falls are better in my opinion.. Easier to manage.. My back and knees don't get hammered from bumps and stuff... lots of reasons... :)

Yeah, to say skiing is safer is pure conjecture. Easier to get around in the BC? Yes. Faster racers? Sure. Safer, completely user dependent.

We all know the accident prone guy. It doesn't matter if he is a skier or snowboarder.

That being said, I'd just stick to snowboarding, solely because going back to a low intermediate sounds like a waste of time to me.