• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So whats your ski vehicle?

SKIQUATTRO

i'm getting 25-26 avg in my A4, thats mostly around town...on a good highway trip it'll push 32-33..it take prem....i have been looking at the newer audis and the new outbacks....nice to be able to put reg gas in instead of prem....

Trekchick

My DD and our skimobile-
2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo
4.0 I-6
242 t-case
open diffs (Whee! Wheel spin!) :spin:

We love this thing. I swore I'd never drive anything but a car. However, I really enjoy the Jeep. It's fun to drive and haul a lot of crap/gear. I put on a Mopar trailer hitch and wiring so I can tug around my 4x8 trailer and quad.

Even with "meh" tires (which will be replaced before the snow flies) the thing is a tank in the snow. I like the 242 because I have the option of keeping the t-case open or locked. I also have 4lo if it things go from bad to worse.

The only thing I don't like is the trans...I feel it needs and extra gear. This really becomes apparent when you're driving on those VT roads, chugging along at 45-50. O/D is a bit too high and the engine lugs. Clicking off o/d usually helps. A very minor gripe overall. I average about 20/21 mpg on trips to Mt/ Snow and back.

CleanJeep3.jpg

]
I've had three Jeeps since the early 90's, usually trade them in every 5 years.+/-
My current Jeep is a Grand Cherokee Overland, with the V8 HO. No issues with power ;)
As much as I love my Jeep, I'm seriously considering a Subie for my next adventure. We have a few years before that happens.
My current Ski Mobile
n830505017_135072_6611.jpg

Maksim

i went to take a look at the new pontiac g8 GT. 368hp. =P Rear wheel drive. Put on snow tires, will be good. Great par about it, the center rear console comes down, and you have a long wide pass through that is as wide as a board.

Too bad it is still a pontiac.

i'm getting 25-26 avg in my A4, thats mostly around town...on a good highway trip it'll push 32-33..it take prem....i have been looking at the newer audis and the new outbacks....nice to be able to put reg gas in instead of prem....

That's better than I get in my Impreza but my car is Automatic..I get 29-30mpg on the highway and low-mid 20s around town..I'm expecting to have my car for the better part of a decade because it's so reliable..

mondeo

i went to take a look at the new pontiac g8 gt. 368hp. =p rear wheel drive. Put on snow tires, will be good. Great par about it, the center rear console comes down, and you have a long wide pass through that is as wide as a board.

Too bad it is still a holden.

fify

ski220

The S4 gulps down the petrol. IMHO the problem is 6th gear; at 75 the RPMs are at 3 grand. I set the cruise at 75. I had a 2001 S4 Avant before this one and it got about 21-22 MPG. The old one had the twin turbo 6 in it.

WOW. That really sucks - fuel too. My buddies S4 w/ the 2.7TT gets about 26 - 28 mpg And that's cruising 75 - 90mph up and down 91

ski220

I sort of feel like if you can afford an S4..gas mileage shouldn't matter..

Just makes the smile wider.

My own rides are '98 Olds silhouette van w/180K+ and a '99 Volvo V70R soon to be replaced due to a rear drive problem. It's now 2 wd with the rear drive shaft removed.

Dilemma? Go back to a SUV, Subie or Audi??

Just makes the smile wider.

My own rides are '98 Olds silhouette van w/180K+ and a '99 Volvo V70R soon to be replaced due to a rear drive problem. It's now 2 wd with the rear drive shaft removed.

Dilemma? Go back to a SUV, Subie or Audi??

After owning 2 VWs..a 1990 Jetta and a 1999 Jetta..I feel like German cars..or Mexico I think some V-dubs are made are less reliable than their Japanese couterparts. The one thing I like about Subie is that all of it's vehicles are AWD..it's not an add on like BMWs, Audis, and lots of trucks...there are great deals available on Subies. Audis are steezier no doubt but Subies get the job done and with the extra money saved...on payments and maintenence..you can add to your ski quiver..

2Planker

Clearance is probably the bigger problem. But I think the turbo is only a 200 hp car and with all wheel drive and stability control(or whatever Audi calls it) it probably isn't that bad. My Acura is only 200 hp with front wheel drive and my problem isn't with the torque.

I work Fri + Sat for the Mt., so all my gear (and the wife's) is stored there. So, if it's just the 2 of us heading North, and the forecast isn't for a dumping, then the TT is our vehicle of choice. Otherwise it's the S4, especially if the 18yo is along for the weekend, usually w/ a friend. All things considered - we take the S4 most of the time.

2Planker

I sort of feel like if you can afford an S4..gas mileage shouldn't matter..

Not True ! That's my "company car". Used the allowance towards the car of MY choice. A Pre-owned Audi Certified '06. Shopped around for a while but got a good deal IMHO

Plus gas is almost 1/2 what it was in March. Paid 2.09 today !

Not True ! That's my "company car". Used the allowance towards the car of MY choice. A Pre-owned Audi Certified '06. Shopped around for a while but got a good deal IMHO

Plus gas is almost 1/2 what it was in March. Paid 2.09 today !

Nice the cheapest I saw today was $2.25..

Maksim

Yes, a holden the g8 is. =P I still stand by it drives like a pontiac. And the interior is only so so.

mondeo

Yes, a holden the g8 is. =P I still stand by it drives like a pontiac. And the interior is only so so.

When I was shopping around for cars a few years back, I test drove a Holden/Pontiac GTO.

Overpowered family car. It was the first car I drove, and I knew it wasn't going to compete about 2 minutes into the drive. Just no feel, and the pedals and shifter were just big and clunky.

Maksim

I test drove both the G8 and G8 GT, the g8 was just mediocre. The gt with the big ol v8 is well, just like my camaro. A big engine, powered from the rear wheels.

But otherwise, the fit and finish just felt cheap for 30 grand.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
so i am supossed to go to the toyota dealer on monday. to work out the details for the fj cruiser. i dont know if i am going to pull the trigger. i hate the limited visibilty of the winshield but is the only car i think will last.

Glenn

I've had three Jeeps since the early 90's, usually trade them in every 5 years.+/-
My current Jeep is a Grand Cherokee Overland, with the V8 HO. No issues with power ;)
As much as I love my Jeep, I'm seriously considering a Subie for my next adventure. We have a few years before that happens.
My current Ski Mobile
n830505017_135072_6611.jpg

Love the plate! Great pic too! The Overlands are really really nice! Congrats! I'm a fan of the current generation Grands. I heard the next generation is going to be a lot more car like....independent suspension all around. :x