• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So whose bright idea was the 5 day work week anyway?

Warp Daddy

H"MM work week vaguely remember the concept :D

But one of the reasons i chose a career in higher education was ample time away from the job -- no money,, but time off and working conditions that were INTERESTING and youthful in attitude

deadheadskier

Staff member
I am certainly grateful for my weekends. Until May 2007 my work life was in the hotel/resort biz and days off were usually spread out during the mid week if I was lucky to have 2 days off at all. 1 day off was the norm about 40 weeks out of the year.

...but man, would the world be a more relaxed place if the work week was 4 days average. Wishful thinking I know :lol:

Moe Ghoul

I am certainly grateful for my weekends. Until May 2007 my work life was in the hotel/resort biz and days off were usually spread out during the mid week if I was lucky to have 2 days off at all. 1 day off was the norm about 40 weeks out of the year.

...but man, would the world be a more relaxed place if the work week was 4 days average. Wishful thinking I know :lol:

Quite a few govt agencies are giving it a try, even a few school districts from what I read to reduce energy costs.

3 day weekends rule. The world would be a better place if the work week was only 4 days

Hell yeah..none of us would have a case of the Mondays if it was a Tuesday-Friday week..but anyway to look on the bright side..a 5 day workweek means over 100 days off per year before holidays, sick days, and vacation time..not bad..unless your boss is like the guy from Office Space..lol

go figure, a customer just called me :lol: sumavabitch

It happens to me sometimes..some of the funeral directors I work with have my cell phone# and they pretty much work 24/7. One young funeral director gets one weekend off per month. Alot of the time he's at home on call so he can still surf the net and watch TV but he definitely can't be skiing or drinking beer. If anybody wants a tombstone today..they have to wait until Tuesday..:daffy:

mondeo

The notion of a weekly rest is ancient. The Jewish Sabbath, known as Shabbat, is from sunset Friday to when it is fully dark on Saturday. Sunday has traditionally been viewed as a Christian Sabbath, though not all Christians acknowledge it as such. The weekend as a time of leisure is a rather modern invention. Before the industrial revolution the wage labour force was a minuscule fraction of the population. The day of the Sabbath was viewed as one dedicated to God, not one of relaxation, and strict prohibitions on permissible activities were enacted.
The French Revolutionary Calendar allowed decadi, one out of ten days, as a leisure day.
The early industrial period in Europe saw a six-day work week with only Sunday off, but some workers had no days off at all. The labour and workers rights movements and campaigns by trade unionists in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century saw a five-day work week introduced as Saturday became a day of rest and relaxation. This movement began in England. The term "English week" is used for the five-day work week.

Of course, if we were on a 4 day work week, we'd be in the 80's right now (starting in 1900, 22 years of lost progress.) No internet, no shaped skis, minimal snowboards, no high speed quads,... And hair bands. Do we really want that?

Of course, if we were on a 4 day work week, we'd be in the 80's right now (starting in 1900, 22 years of lost progress.) No internet, no shaped skis, minimal snowboards, no high speed quads,... And hair bands. Do we really want that?

Yeah but we'd have Huey Lewis and the News on the radio..and Tony Danza and Bill Cosby on the Boob tube..lol..life was much simpler back then..and my internet bill was much cheaper..lol..since I didn't have internet till 1993

Hawkshot99

I would rather work 4 10's than 5 8's. More productive when you are there too. Saves money, and more time off.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I would rather work 4 10's than 5 8's. More productive when you are there too. Saves money, and more time off.

I agree and I wonder how much productivity would suffer with this schedule. Problem is that the 5 day work week of 40 hours is more like 45-60 for many professionals. It would be hard to cram that many hours to four days for most individuals.

ERJ-145CA

I usually work 4 days in a row and then have 2-4 days off depending on the week. Of course the 4 days I'm working I'm usually away from home the entire 4 days, when I'm not flying the plane I'm at a hotel or eating with my crew.

snoseek

There are ways around this- it just takes some personal sacrifice and ingenuity.

M-F workweek = total misery for me personally.

deadheadskier

Staff member
There are ways around this- it just takes some personal sacrifice and ingenuity.

M-F workweek = total misery for me personally.

I used to think I wouldn't dig the M-F 8 to 6 schedule, but I was wrong. I LOVE it. It could be more the day time hours though and having a consistent sleep schedule. I feel like I have much more energy than when I worked days, nights, weekends, holidays erratically for 14 years.

snoseek

I feel like I have much more energy than when I worked days, nights, weekends, holidays erratically for 14 years.

Agreed I will never work like this again. I generally work sun-wed and start at about 6:30 or so, get done around 3 or four. I feel more nourished and healthy, smoke weed and drink hardly ever, and am overall much healthier. I will never work in a restaurant, club, or hotel again. Ever. For me this is a pay sacrifice that is tough to take but in the end worth it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
. I will never work in a restaurant, club, or hotel again.

I definitely feel the same way. I would only work full time again in that environment out of desperation. Outside of upper management at such places (and even not always those positions) the schedule for the jobs in that sector is maddening. In that industry it's really no surprise to me the amount of people I worked with who had drug and alcohol problems or both. The partying was honestly my initial attraction to the occupation when I was a 19 year old college drop out living on Cape Cod and in Stowe. There was a party every night and young, fun and attractive women to hang with at ease. I definitely self medicated more than was healthy at times (read often) over the years working in that field. Early on it was due to temptation and later on due to stress as a manager.

I will say I occasionally miss the intensity of the field. Well, more like rarely. Sometimes I do think about the intensity of my old jobs managing 60 people with 20 different functions going off for the day where you're in the weeds from 6AM until midnight, but you somehow, someway pull it off and all get together afterwards and get sloshed at a bar celebrating a good day. In peak times it almost becomes a mind game of endurance as you're pulling 6 days straight at 14-16 hours a day because you're perpetually short staffed. I think about that about once every three months :lol:

While I would never consider working full time in the field again, I really hope to continue my part time work for as long as I can. I have the perfect set up right now. I bartend at the old hotel I worked at once every six weeks. There's no responsibility, I have a good time with the guests, make decent money ($15-$25 Cash an hour) and get all of the travel benefits. The hotel deals I get are criminal.

Guess I'm getting greedy. I moved on from the above to a M-F 9 to 5er and now I want a Tues-Friday daytime schedule :lol: