• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Southern VT Pick for Saturday

PhishingForPow

I'm trying to figure out the best spot to hit in Southern(ish) VT this weekend. As of now it's between Stratton w/ season pass and Killington. First time at Killington last Thursday and I was blown away. Pretty much know what to expect for lines at Stratton but would love to hear how Killington is on the weekend.

New to the board and any feedback is appreciated!

Cheers!

-James

PhishingForPow

Haha honestly once we got up to Weston on Wednesday night all geography became a blur! Followed the GPS between Killington and Okemo.

steamboat1

If you have a season pass to Stratton why would you pay to ski K unless you have a discount ticket already paid for.

Yes I'd consider K southern(ish). Okemo is considered southern VT. & it's less than a 1/2 hour drive from Okemo to the Skyeship base at K.

PhishingForPow

I have a discount ticket through work for Killington. Was so impressed last week I'm psyched to see what this storm added on.

We will be taking off either late Friday night or early Saturday morning to hopefully get some fresh tracks.

steamboat1

I have a discount ticket through work for Killington. Was so impressed last week I'm psyched to see what this storm added on.

We will be taking off either late Friday night or early Saturday morning to hopefully get some fresh tracks.

Well today is the first day this season that K is reporting to be 100% open.

ss20 gave you some good advise on lifts to avoid.

I'm a week day pass holder at K so I rarely ski weekends.

Enjoy K. After skiing only one day there I'm positive you haven't even begun to touch what K has to offer.

Last edited:

PhishingForPow

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Pretty sure it's going to be K... Sounds like we will just need to pick our lifts wisely.

abc

Yes I'd consider K southern(ish). Okemo is considered southern VT. & it's less than a 1/2 hour drive from Okemo to the Skyeship base at K.
I always consider K "central" not southern.

Its added height also make it have less in common to the "southern" mountains, more "central" and often the best of both worlds.

Cheese

Comparing K to Stratton, Okemo or Mt. Snow I think the biggest difference is steeper terrain. If you're into that sort of thing ...

skiking4

Comparing K to Stratton, Okemo or Mt. Snow I think the biggest difference is steeper terrain. If you're into that sort of thing ...

+1

if you like glades though, make sure you've checked out all of Stratton's glades (unmarked & marked). There's some surprisingly really good stuff there, especially wtih the new snow now.

PhishingForPow

+1

if you like glades though, make sure you've checked out all of Stratton's glades (unmarked & marked). There's some surprisingly really good stuff there, especially wtih the new snow now.

Agreed, I've racked up quite a few days at Stratton this year but have yet to really get into the glades. Was very impressed with Killington's glade coverage last Thursday... Can only be better now!

The only thing holding me back from Killington was avoiding the 20+ minute lift lines.

Bene288

Agreed, I've racked up quite a few days at Stratton this year but have yet to really get into the glades. Was very impressed with Killington's glade coverage last Thursday... Can only be better now!

The only thing holding me back from Killington was avoiding the 20+ minute lift lines.

What about Pico? I just went last Saturday and it was a blast. Everyone drives by it and goes to Kmart. No lift lines to speak of. That was a holiday weekend too.

mister moose

Here's one way to look at it. Since you already have a discount Killington ticket, what weekend would possibly be better to come up and see what's here? It's going to be a non holiday 2 day storm worth of fresh snow weekend. Stay away from K1 and the Skye Peak Quad betwen 10am and 2pm. The rest is going to be pure joy.

At least it was today....

Sorcerer

Anything south of rt.4 is southern VT. Between rt.4 & rt.2 is central VT. North of rt.2 is northern VT.

Killington is south of rt.4.

Your definition splits Vermont into north and south. I live in Vermont and without question Killington is Central. Check the guide books.