• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Splitboard setups

Chuck'd

Im looking to do more backcountry snowboarding this year but I am sick up strapping my board to my back and snowshoeing in to locations. Im looking to put together my first splitboard setup but am confused to what all I need beyond the board. Any help toward putting things together would be great. Thanks!

Hawkshot99

Are you buying or making a split?
If buying then you just need skins, and bindings.
There are 2 ways you can go with bindings. Split specific such as Sparks, or your regular downhill bindings with a adapter plate.
If making a split you need to buy a split kit and skins. These kits usually come with the adapters for the bindings as well.

I ski, but have several friends who made there own split boards, or bought one.
I am personally not very impressed with the home made splits. The plugs used to cover the screws in the base rip out all the time. Making a nice clean straight cut is quite difficult as well. I have not seen any issues from water getting in from cutting the board in half, but I just see it as a matter of time before it does and the board delams.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app

becca m

I'm sure there are many others here on this forum, but, this forum isn't really targeted towards backcountry.... I find the FB splitboarding group has some recent info - it's hard to find recent splitboard info on the web. That being said, you need splitboard (I like my K2's), bindings (I like Blaze), skins, and some voile hardware if your board doesn't have it. I would not want to split my own, personally.

56fish

Website
www.borderskirental.com
splits are cool

Buy a used one - splitboard.com a great place to start. Numerous FB groups, too. Enjoy the ride as much as destination? Split one yourself. Very satisfying. I'm splitting a new one for a friend of a friend - very nerve-wracking fearing a mistake (think drilling 30 holes through a deck). By a new one - look for deals..the-house (close-out site) a decent source. I've done all 3. Very happy with my new Burton Custom w/ Spark Teslas!

Just saw a diy on vt craigslist....157 cm...$75 obo - complete, just add your bindings and skins!

Attachments

• IMG_0538.jpg
    IMG_0538.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0538.jpg
    IMG_0538.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited: