• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Steep Icy / Bare Patch Tree Skiing Appreciation Thread

bdfreetuna

It's all about that feeling when you're looking more down than forward. You've got a choice of two ways down. One way involves an icy log, the other way is a steep drop around an exposed rock. Either way you go you've got to link some turns to thread the needle between the forest below.

This is no powder day. The higher elevations are glazed over. Decent base but a crusty coat that makes it super fast and demands aggressive technique to maintain control. Lower elevations are a few degrees above freezing for a while and it's down to the base. These lower elevation woods are on their last legs in terms of skiability. Rocks, stumps, and even some bare ground abound. There's only a few ways down and it's the thin trails of previous skiers who've packed it down.

In other words, the perfect day of skiing. Who's ready for spring :D

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I am grateful for the areas that allow the skier the choice of whether to take such a trail or not. This is in contrast to those than close it for fear than some moron who lacks the skill to ski it, might take it, get injured and sue.

JDMRoma

Definitely not me. It's only February. The base is fantastic. March is often the snowiest month. I'm ready for another 3-5 weeks of amazing WINTER powder conditions. Then I'll be ready for spring.

Same here..thinking spring makes me sick !

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Two things: First, I don't think appreciating whatever there is is a concession to spring. And second, even with heavy snowfall, until the ski areas figure out how to make snow in the woods, there will be bony spots and icy spots in the woods, even after substantial snowfalls.

ScottySkis

i plan on finding out hoe the trees still lots of feet of snow this weekend. last Time in Roxbury the trees werr beyond powder. Come this weekend i show you the trees i know.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Good idea on the thread. I've seen a lot of dirt and rocks that appear on those steep pitches...usually when you least expect it. Lots of those moments at Sugarbush in Castlerock and in the woods at Ellen. I've had a lot of these moments in Elbow Woods...and it makes things interesting. I call this "technical skiing" in which you have to get through it. I also saw this stuff in the woods in the East Bowl in certain pitches and drops.

And yes I've seen it in Utah. Just last month at Brighton that made the run...um...memorable.

MadMadWorld

Here's some love for you sick and twisted skiers!

Attachments

• 1393355109048.jpg
    1393355109048.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 1393355230807.jpg
    1393355230807.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 58

MadMadWorld

Yea that looks like fun.... NOT! Love the trees but skiing through that would put anybody to the test!

The first one was on Black Hole at Smuggs after a few good storms. I can only imagine coming to that if the snow wasn't nearly as good. The second shot was very late season last year at Magic in an unmarked area.