• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stenger and Quiros Ousted from Management of Jay Peak and Burke

yeggous

This surprises me. Most chains aren't interested in seasonal ski properties in New England. N. Conway is really the only "ski town" that has them. N Conway has such a well established summer and fall season and can make up for low occupancy periods with very high in season rates. Burke doesn't have that. Maybe the chains are looking at buying the hotel on the cheap and selling fractional vacation club sales to get their profit out of the place that way over the traditional hotel room rental model.

The Fairfield Marriott just opened in Waterbury, but I think part of the thinking there is proximity to 89 and capturing highway travelers and business visitors to Montpellier and Burlington. I don't think the "Marriott Burke Resort" works in that location. If it did, we'd likely have seen the "Marriott Killington" long ago.

Omni is killing it at Bretton Woods. They run it as a destination resort. I could see them be willing to try their luck at a second property, especially one so close to BW.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I don't think the "Marriott Burke Resort" works in that location. If it did, we'd likely have seen the "Marriott Killington" long ago.

The difference between Killington and Burke is that Burke has very little competition with other hotels/single night accommodations, especially from chains. The closest major chain is the Comfort Inn in St Johnsbury 25 minutes away.

HowieT2

This surprises me. Most chains aren't interested in seasonal ski properties in New England. N. Conway is really the only "ski town" that has them. N Conway has such a well established summer and fall season and can make up for low occupancy periods with very high in season rates. Burke doesn't have that. Maybe the chains are looking at buying the hotel on the cheap and selling fractional vacation club sales to get their profit out of the place that way over the traditional hotel room rental model.

The Fairfield Marriott just opened in Waterbury, but I think part of the thinking there is proximity to 89 and capturing highway travelers and business visitors to Montpellier and Burlington. I don't think the "Marriott Burke Resort" works in that location. If it did, we'd likely have seen the "Marriott Killington" long ago.

Id bet by "interested", he was referring to interested in managing the property, for a fee, not interested in buying the real estate. The big hotel chains have for the most part become management companies where the underlying asset is owned by other entities.

yeggous

Id bet by "interested", he was referring to interested in managing the property, for a fee, not interested in buying the real estate. The big hotel chains have for the most part become management companies where the underlying asset is owned by other entities.

I refer again to Bretton Woods. This used to be the case but they bought the property outright this year.

VTKilarney

Omni is killing it at Bretton Woods. They run it as a destination resort. I could see them be willing to try their luck at a second property, especially one so close to BW.
I was wondering if Omni was interested, but I don't think that they would be. I just don't see the Burke hotel as being upscale enough to satisfy Omni.

deadheadskier

Staff member

I had forgotten Omni ran the MWH.

I would think the Burke property would be a little short on 4 season amenities compared the MWH. This includes both what's at that property in Golf, Spa, Restaurants and nearby throughout the Valley.

But, being able to centralize fixed management costs might make sense. Could utilize the GM, Group Sales and other executive team already in place at the Mount Washington and just expand their duties regionally.

A Bretton Woods / Burke pass would be a pretty compelling product for Boston area families looking to avoid the Loon or Southern VT Zoo.

HowieT2

Doesn't the VTDigger article say the exact same thing that BFP stated in their article yesterday?

yes but added the details about the available cash and operating cash requirements for the next 6 months.

JPTracker

Doesn't the VTDigger article say the exact same thing that BFP stated in their article yesterday?

You can tell they are repeating all the same info when they refer to the Tram as a Gondola system.

yeggous

I had forgotten Omni ran the MWH.

I would think the Burke property would be a little short on 4 season amenities compared the MWH. This includes both what's at that property in Golf, Spa, Restaurants and nearby throughout the Valley.

But, being able to centralize fixed management costs might make sense. Could utilize the GM, Group Sales and other executive team already in place at the Mount Washington and just expand their duties regionally.

A Bretton Woods / Burke pass would be a pretty compelling product for Boston area families looking to avoid the Loon or Southern VT Zoo.

Yes, I bet they've learned a lot about how to run ski area and adjoining resort and hotels. And it's only an hour drive from Bretton Woods to Burke. Most of their staff lives in the Littleton area, which is only about 40 minutes from Burke. They could probably scale our more than just shared executive management. If you need skilled mechanics and maintenance staff, just sent them up to Burke for a day or two. Otherwise you keep them busy in Bretton Woods. Sales, reservation, and marketing are centralized at Omni corporate.

abc

I think it's apple and oranges.

MWH is NOT a hotel attach to a ski resort. It's a destination hotel of its own rights, with golf course, spa, and a ski resort that happens to be across the road! MWH gets way more visitors in the summer than in the winter. Just take a look at their summer room rate vs winter rate.

OMNI COULD run Burke hotel. But that doesn't mean they would be interested to.

abc

That said, the Comfort Inn in St Johnsbury seems to be doing really well. So there's got to be some good reason for people to visit the area. If the new Burke owner can figure out how to tap into that visitor stream, they'd have a fighting chance of making it.

VTKilarney

I think it's apple and oranges.

MWH is NOT a hotel attach to a ski resort. It's a destination hotel of its own rights, with golf course, spa, and a ski resort that happens to be across the road! MWH gets way more visitors in the summer than in the winter. Just take a look at their summer room rate vs winter rate.

OMNI COULD run Burke hotel. But that doesn't mean they would be interested to.
I couldn't agree more. I just don't see the Burke hotel fitting into Omni's portfolio. Omni is more upscale.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I couldn't agree more. I just don't see the Burke hotel fitting into Omni's portfolio. Omni is more upscale.

Not all of them. I've stayed at both the Omni Charlottesville and their property in Richmond, VA. Both were not any more upscale than your typical Hilton. Generally speaking their portfolio is higher end, but not exclusively so.

The only reason they make some sense is having an area presence already.

VTKilarney

Not all of them. I've stayed at both the Omni Charlottesville and their property in Richmond, VA. Both were not any more upscale than your typical Hilton. Generally speaking their portfolio is higher end, but not exclusively so.

The only reason they make some sense is having an area presence already.

That is true to a certain degree for some urban locations, but if you look at their list of resorts, they are light years ahead of Burke as far as amenities are concerned.
https://www.omnihotels.com/destinations/resorts

I like the theory of a company looking to manage privately owned units. That is definitely the model lately. For no good reason Wyndham comes to mind as a real possibility.

VTKilarney

I'm well aware of their portfolio, thanks.

Then you should have known that Burke doesn't even come close to fitting the amenities offered within their resort portfolio. Comparing an Omni in downtown Richmond Virginia to a resort property is just silly. Although even the Omin Richmond looks nicer than the Burke hotel. Assuming the Burke hotel is based on the Tramhaus lodge, the best I can description of the experience I could give is "upscale Ikea". The Tramhaus Lodge is no better than a modern Comfort Inn or Holiday Inn Express - except for its location at the base of a ski area.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Re: Omni

In some ways it makes sense because they are running BW just down the road. Pick up Burke for a cheap price with a new Hotel, send some of the BW crowd there, and it might work.