• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Strict Ski Patrol at Jay Peak

AdironRider

I've had patrol ask for my pass twice during a power struggle. I'm not handing that over and they can't detain you so they can shove it.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yes, there is no need for Bluetooth speakers when skiing, riding, or hiking IMHO. My all-time favorite scene was 3 or 4 years ago when I was hiking and came across a grown man in the middle of the hiking trail driving a remote control truck on the trail. Just unreal. :ROFLMAO:

thetrailboss

Staff member
And this thread reminds me of this gem. I still suspect that this was staged because one can magically hear everything that is being said:

kingslug

Well..there was once a time many moons ago I almost ended someone at Hunter. Almost completely empty day..On Hellgate with my first wife..out of nowhere boarder lands right on her..aired off the top of the run. Would be safe to say I almost killed him but a few people came over quickly. But then again they did kind of support the idea of a good beating. But that never ends well. I don't remember if patrol came by.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Maybe Jay Peak is hoping to be acquired by Vail, and they figure acting as douchey as possible will improve their odds.
Vail is sitting on about $1 billion in cash. But that is for operations. You of all people know that a few months ago they were having a bond sale to raise capital for operations. Vail and Alterra were considering Jay as a purchase. Then the pandemic happened. Apparently, the receiver was not at all happy with the low bids he was getting for Jay.

BenedictGomez

Vail is sitting on about $1 billion in cash. But that is for operations.

At this point, even if you wanted to forensically audit Vail in a fully professional way, it would be so complicated, so time encompassing, so arduous, and so expensive, that I cant imagine anyone undertaking it for virtually any reason.

And for that alone, Vail worries me.

Andrew B.

Except it doesn't work like that.
I always thought the same until I saw a guy this year tell a patroller “I didn’t do anything wrong and I am not giving you my pass” and ski away. Patroller just stood there. I didn’t see what they were arguing over but the patroller let him ski away un-impeded??? Maybe he called down to other patrollers but he certainly didn’t detain him there.

Andrew B.

How could they detain him anyway?
I assume as part of customer service training they tell patrollers not to “get physical”. I watched the patroller turn and calmly walk back to the shack. I was waiting for a little something to happen but it didn’t.

Newpylong

That's not the part I meant. If you detain someone you risk a kidnapping lawsuit, etc. No one is going to do that. You let them go and give the police the information and file a tresspass and theft of service charge. We had to do it several timew.

The pass part is what I was referring to. If you read the fine print you're required to turn it over when asked by mountain staff. I guess you could just ski away, but then you could be subject to my first paragraph.

I'd say if someone has been asked twice to turn their pass over in a lifetime regardless they're doing something wrong.

jaytrem

That's not the part I meant. If you detain someone you risk a kidnapping lawsuit, etc. No one is going to do that. You let them go and give the police the information and file a tresspass and theft of service charge. We had to do it several timew.

The pass part is what I was referring to. If you read the fine print you're required to turn it over when asked by mountain staff. I guess you could just ski away, but then you could be subject to my first paragraph.

I'd say if someone has been asked twice to turn their pass over in a lifetime regardless they're doing something wrong.
Ehhh, I don't know about that. The 2 times I was harrassed by ski patrol I did absolutly nothing wrong.

rebel1916

Meanwhile, Plattekill ski patrol dares people to ski closed runs
My kid "Dad, I don't think we are supposed to cross that rope. They must have put it there for a reason"

Me "It's there to warn off noobs and people who are gonna cry if their skis get some scratches on the base, they don't care"

Platty employee skiing up as I finish my sentence "Have you guys been over there yet. how is it skiing?"

My daughter who hates being wrong skiing under the rope in complete silence.

2Planker

I assume as part of customer service training they tell patrollers not to “get physical”. I watched the patroller turn and calmly walk back to the shack. I was waiting for a little something to happen but it didn’t.
We ask to see their pass. To get the name, & # so it can be deactivated.
If they don't want show it, Radio for back up, and follow them down to the lift.
They won't be getting on the lift......

Never, touch the guest, be professional