• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush 12/20

Savemeasammy

I did one run on mt. Ellen. I'm cutting my losses and going to Lincoln. Too much heavy, wet, thick snow for my soft mogul skis...!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steamboat1

Sugarbush has some set of balls. Heavens Gate chair is closed for maintenance yet they still raised their rate to the full $89 holiday price.

From their website:

"Please be aware that Heaven's Gate is closed for maintenance. We are working as quickly as possible to reopen it. We have assurances that it will be running again by next Wednesday or sooner."

steamboat1

It was a pisser. I skied on a $25 voucher. Would not pay full boat !

That's even better than the $30 employee discount tickets I get through a friend that works for the mountain. One other advantage skiing with him is that he gets a 50% discount on food in the cafeteria.

I just thought that charging full rate while their only lift to the summit is down is ballsy.

Savemeasammy

I didn't know the summit lift wasn't running either. I may have changed my mind. However I had already driven 2.5 hours... It was my warren miller voucher. I haven't skied sugarbush at 100%. I hope to this year. It looks like there is a lot of good stuff.

steamboat1

yeggous

Didn't something like this happen at Magic last year? Maybe Win should pay a little more attention to mountain infrastructure instead of worrying about condo's & what's beiing served at Timbers tonight.

This problem is not unique. Attitash blew the gear box / torque converter thingy on their lift this year.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Ugh.... Friggen warm snap

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app

Um, what? We're talking about the Heavens Gate breaking down. And badly.

I met some folks last week at Snowbird who have a condo at Sugarbush. What was the first thing they said about Sugarbush? Love the place, but hate how old and unreliable the lifts are. One guy said, "it's sad when the ski museum is asking to put Heavens Gate in the museum." Gotta agree. Love Win and love SB, but the last "new" lift was in 2002 and a lot of them go down when you really need them.

And someone said Magic. Similar indeed, but Sugarbush is trying to compete with Stowe and markets itself as a world class resort. If their lifts are not up to par, or their snowmaking, then they need to do some work.

dmw

Didn't Heavens Gate have to be evacuated due to derailment or something at the end of last season?

jimmywilson69

Of the major resorts I have skied in all of New England, Sugarbush's lift infrastructure is by far the most outdated. I love SB, the terrain is very unique and you can ski 2 different mountains. But there has to be some money invested into the infrastructure.

steamboat1

Of the major resorts I have skied in all of New England, Sugarbush's lift infrastructure is by far the most outdated. I love SB, the terrain is very unique and you can ski 2 different mountains. But there has to be some money invested into the infrastructure.

I don't agree with this at all. Sugarbush's lift infrastructure is actually quite good in my opinion. They do have 5 HSQ's. The only areas I can think of with more high speed lifts is Killington & Sunday River.

deadheadskier

Staff member
One guy said, "it's sad when the ski museum is asking to put Heavens Gate in the museum." Gotta agree.

Why would the ski museum want the lift? It's not even that old. It was installed in 84.

Unless he was making a joke about it, but if that was the case, he could have picked far older lifts at the Bush to poke fun at.

jimmywilson69

I don't agree with this at all. Sugarbush's lift infrastructure is actually quite good in my opinion. They do have 5 HSQ's. The only areas I can think of with more high speed lifts is Killington & Sunday River.

I wasn't comparing the umber of highspeed lifts that they have. I was stating that everything they have is really old. Valleyhouse, Village Double, Heaven's Gate, are pretty old. That doesn't mean they don't work, but if they are often having issue, which they seem to, then it's time to upgrade.

steamboat1

I wasn't comparing the umber of highspeed lifts that they have. I was stating that everything they have is really old. Valleyhouse, Village Double, Heaven's Gate, are pretty old. That doesn't mean they don't work, but if they are often having issue, which they seem to, then it's time to upgrade.

Or have a more aggressive maintenance program.