• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush - 3/4/2008

Greg

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Tuesday, 3/4/2008, 9:10 am - 12:10 pm

Resort or Ski Area: Sugarbush Vermont

Conditions: Wet partially frozen snow, heavy crud, mashed potatoes down low

Trip Report: We wanted to check out Mount Ellen today. I was hoping for some soft bumps. It was raining hard in the early morning hours, but the rain stopped before sunrise. Took the Mad Bus over and got on the GMX at 9:10. First run on Cruiser was rough. Wet packed, groomed snow with almost a thin layer of crust. Almost all of Ellen was on windhold yesterday so the cruisers were set up since they were last groomed Sunday night. My freshly tuned bump skis were the wrong choice today. Wiped out on Cruiser. Tough to get the edges to release.

We then hit Bravo. Almost unskiable with saturated heavy crud in the troughs. We then made out way over to Semi Tough. Being a lower elevation trail, it was much better with more edgeable snow. Took one more run off the GMX and hit The Cliffs. Better than Bravo, but still rough.

We weren't feeling Mount Ellen and decided to head back to Lincoln Peak hoping the snow was chopped up a bit by more skier traffic. We took Gatehouse to North Lynx. Morning Star was frozen coral bumps. :blink: Sleeper Chutes was better with softer broken up snow. We took another run over there and then took Bravo to hit Birdland. The bumps on Lower were decent.

Overall, kind of a rough one today. The lower elevation runs were the place to be. Tomorrow may be even rougher with the freezing rain. :( We pick the crap week among some really good ones... Oh well.

2knees

Overall, kind of a rough one today. The lower elevation runs were the place to be. Tomorrow may be even rougher with the freezing rain. :( We pick the crap week among some really good ones... Oh well.

sorry to hear it aint the best but maybe thursday will be a surprise for you.

Trust me, i would still rather be where you are skiing then where i am reading about your skiing.

Greg

Staff member
Trust me, i would still rather be where you are skiing then where i am reading about your skiing.

As I was hitting some decent soft lines on Lower Birdland, I was saying the same thing. Better than working. Plus my wife's getting in some decent ski time with her dad which I'm psyched about. Gonna head back out later this afternoon with Abby.

kickstand

I was booked for a bus trip up to Sugarbush tomorrow, but canceled when I heard the forecasts. After reading this, I'm glad I did.

madskier6

Were you able to try Tumbler or Hammerhead at Ellen? I thought you said you'd be looking for bump runs. Those are 2 of the best bump runs at Ellen IMHO. Maybe it was just too icy to enjoy bump runs today.

o3jeff

That sucks that the skiing has been marginal for you this week. I hope it gets better there as I will be heading up there Sunday afternoon to get a few days in next week.

Are you planning on doing some time at MRG? Be interested to know if the conditions are much different there.

Zand

As I was hitting some decent soft lines on Lower Birdland, I was saying the same thing. Better than working. Plus my wife's getting in some decent ski time with her dad which I'm psyched about. Gonna head back out later this afternoon with Abby.

Plus you'll be back up there in 2 weeks!

gladerider

keep my fingers crossed. i'll be up there next friday. hope the conditions improve.....

Greg

Staff member
Were you able to try Tumbler or Hammerhead at Ellen? I thought you said you'd be looking for bump runs. Those are 2 of the best bump runs at Ellen IMHO. Maybe it was just too icy to enjoy bump runs today.

Nope. It wasn't any icyness that was the problem. It was the heavy saturated snow coated with a crust in the troughs that made turning almost impossible. With little to no skier traffic, the bumps just wouldn't have improved.

Are you planning on doing some time at MRG? Be interested to know if the conditions are much different there.

Not planning on it based on how the natural trails were skiing. Still had fun today. Got back out with Abby for 3 runs off the magic carpet and 2 off the Village Double. Then hooked up with pops-in-law and did Jester to Lower Organgrinder which was pretty decent. I was on the freshly tuned Legends at this point which were far better than the bumpers. Finished the day on Stein's. Funky spaced out bumps. Manky snow on top with hard pack, yet edgeable troughs. Actually a lot of fun.

Praying for a miracle tomorrow. Looks like a groomer day, but you never know. Every day ended up far better than we thought it would.

Paul

Nope. It wasn't any icyness that was the problem. It was the heavy saturated snow coated with a crust in the troughs that made turning almost impossible. With little to no skier traffic, the bumps just wouldn't have improved.

Not planning on it based on how the natural trails were skiing. Still had fun today. Got back out with Abby for 3 runs off the magic carpet and 2 off the Village Double. Then hooked up with pops-in-law and did Jester to Lower Organgrinder which was pretty decent. I was on the freshly tuned Legends at this point which were far better than the bumpers. Finished the day on Stein's. Funky spaced out bumps. Manky snow on top with hard pack, yet edgeable troughs. Actually a lot of fun.

Praying for a miracle tomorrow. Looks like a groomer day, but you never know. Every day ended up far better than we thought it would.

Well this sounds pretty positive at least...

Life...lemons...all that crap....

snoseek

You probably improved your skills today without even knowing it....

thetrailboss

Staff member
Greg--

I cringed this morning when I skied Burke and realized that you were at 'Ellen. I was supposed to be there today...but my friend and I figured that it would be rough...especially since 'Ellen is taller and has a N exposure...which means that the freeze line was pretty low. At Burke today the mountain was soft from about Mid Poma station down...which was the bottom 1,400 vert or so. And anything that was exposed to the wind was flash frozen.

Sorry that today didn't work out...and I agree with you about this crummy pattern (cold, snowy one week...warm and freezing rain the next).

:(