• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush: April 8, 2006

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: April 8, 2006

Resort or Ski Area: Sugarbush, Vermont

Conditions: VC

Trip Report: This weekend was my Sugarbush weekend. Was thinking either Saturday or Sunday, but got locked into Saturday due to scheduling :roll: Sunday does look like a better day...but it was now or never so we went for it. Free day anyway :beer:

Met my friend CB in Montpelier and drove to Lincoln Peak. :eek: Whoa. Much different than last season. Kudos to the new inn and mini-village for beginners. The loonnnngggg hike up those stairs to Gatehouse was a pain in the a$$.

After getting geared up and getting our tickets (the place was a ghost town), we boarded Super Bravo. Given the rain and cold snap (with such bad timing :roll: ) we did not have high expectations, but our warm up runs down Upper Birdland and Murphy's were great. Soft grooming and snow. Anything at that elevation that was not groomed was deadly. CB was enjoying his first outing to SB. Riding up the lift with "The Mullet," we learned that the season had not been good and saw Win Smith in the flesh on Upper Birdland. :D Nice turns.

Next run was down Downspout to Heaven's Gate. Downspout was edgeable, but not great. Skied onto Heaven's Gate and rode up. Lower Paradise and Lower Ripcord were treacherous from the view of the lift--frozen ice and crud. So we opted for Jester down to the lift. Nice and smooth. Great views as always. Next run was the annual spin down Ripcord. Upper third was nice--FG with 2-3 inches of pow on top. Lower part was "dust on crust," so we bailed on Paradise Extension :blink: New trail designation I assume?

The summit wasn't too good so we headed back to Bravo and skied Snowball to Spring Fling which was in good shape. We closed out our tour of LP by hitting Lower Organgrinder and Lower Jester. Some good snow where they had groomed. It never got warm enough to thaw things out.

So we headed North to Ellen...my favorite side. We pulled in to see that the summit was in frost and snow like LP. After lunch we headed up GMX and then to the summit. Rim Run was in midwinter shape except for the sheet of ice on Lower Rim Run...pretty typical. CB hit a small wormhole between Looking Good and Rim Run to find some nice snow. We rode this out all the way back to the bottom via Cruiser and Straight Shot. Cruiser was getting interesting...some soft snow in spots.

Back up the top we decided to "try" Upper FIS. The run of the day in my book. Steep and deep as always. Some smaller ice bumps were covered by 6-10 inches of powder and crud that were edgeable and skiable. Lots of folks began flocking to it. Great stuff. We picked up Looking Good and headed back up to the summit.

Next run we took Rim Run to Elbow in search of a wormhole. CB found one and we hit it...a bit too narrow for me and the snow was not great. Not ice, not snow. Not good. We bailed onto the road between Elbow and Looking Good.

We headed back up top and hit Black Diamond Rush with the short sticks. Lots of fun, but not as good as FIS. We had too many folks charging down it at once...one guy almost ran me over.

From here, we took Cruiser down to North Ridge and hit Exterminator. The upper part was great--some pow, some ice bumps underneath, but then just above the Way Back cutoff it went to hell...frozen crud and ice everywhere. No soft snow...just frozen tracks :eek: CB wanted to ride it out...it was a mess from here down Northway. They need either a warm up or a groomer and I think they will wait for the former...but it will be a long time. Single worst run of the season. Upper bumps were nice on it, but not worth it.

So we hit North Ridge and did a spin down Elbow all the way. Did another quick number down a great Upper FIS down to the Looking Good wormhole (nice glade run!). We closed out on Rim Run down to Elbow and to the bottom.

Some nice folks....some odd ones (the guy on the last chair telling us about how big his daughter's b&*(s were and then talking about skiing snow up to his "titties" ..... too much info)...and some dumb ones (the guy standing in Ellen Parking Lot and urinating facing the entire parking lot....really classy). Good conditions here and there, but nasty overall on natural runs. FIS was great, but we wish that the snow was softer for trees. Skied on to the chairs every run.

Made me recall all the good times I had skiing SB. Ellen lived up to its rep overall. I miss Lower FIS.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Nice report. Things should get real nice when the temps warm a bit. Those stairs are a bit of a pain. My daughters ski school was in that tent area near the bottom of the stairs and for 3 days we had to hike up those things 3 to 4 times a day with ski boots on.:-x

smootharc

Lincoln Peak Sunday was great....

....softened up so Ripcord, Organgrinder, et. al. skied great off the top. Bumps on Paradise softened, whereas on Saturday they were a bit, um, unfun.

All in all a great last day of season at LP, with 2 and possible 3 more weekends at ME.

win

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Sorry you missed Sunday and Monday

Good report. Sunday was a better day as it was bluebird skies and warmer - although still cool at the summit. We groomed two passes on Ripcord from top to bottom and Exerminator from the entrance of Spillsville down and these skied really nice. Overall, it was a good final day. Since it was the last day at Lincoln Peak, I did not get to ME but the reports were good. Yesterday was a classic Spring Day and today will be as well. We are still top to bottom at ME and hopefully can be through the weekend. Some showers may come in later in the week but overall the conditions -especially at the top - look like they will be pretty good for the next several days and hopefully through next week.

thetrailboss said:
Date(s) Skied: April 8, 2006

Resort or Ski Area: Sugarbush, Vermont

Conditions: VC

Trip Report: This weekend was my Sugarbush weekend. Was thinking either Saturday or Sunday, but got locked into Saturday due to scheduling :roll: Sunday does look like a better day...but it was now or never so we went for it. Free day anyway :beer:

Met my friend CB in Montpelier and drove to Lincoln Peak. :eek: Whoa. Much different than last season. Kudos to the new inn and mini-village for beginners. The loonnnngggg hike up those stairs to Gatehouse was a pain in the a$$.

After getting geared up and getting our tickets (the place was a ghost town), we boarded Super Bravo. Given the rain and cold snap (with such bad timing :roll: ) we did not have high expectations, but our warm up runs down Upper Birdland and Murphy's were great. Soft grooming and snow. Anything at that elevation that was not groomed was deadly. CB was enjoying his first outing to SB. Riding up the lift with "The Mullet," we learned that the season had not been good and saw Win Smith in the flesh on Upper Birdland. :D Nice turns.

Next run was down Downspout to Heaven's Gate. Downspout was edgeable, but not great. Skied onto Heaven's Gate and rode up. Lower Paradise and Lower Ripcord were treacherous from the view of the lift--frozen ice and crud. So we opted for Jester down to the lift. Nice and smooth. Great views as always. Next run was the annual spin down Ripcord. Upper third was nice--FG with 2-3 inches of pow on top. Lower part was "dust on crust," so we bailed on Paradise Extension :blink: New trail designation I assume?

The summit wasn't too good so we headed back to Bravo and skied Snowball to Spring Fling which was in good shape. We closed out our tour of LP by hitting Lower Organgrinder and Lower Jester. Some good snow where they had groomed. It never got warm enough to thaw things out.

So we headed North to Ellen...my favorite side. We pulled in to see that the summit was in frost and snow like LP. After lunch we headed up GMX and then to the summit. Rim Run was in midwinter shape except for the sheet of ice on Lower Rim Run...pretty typical. CB hit a small wormhole between Looking Good and Rim Run to find some nice snow. We rode this out all the way back to the bottom via Cruiser and Straight Shot. Cruiser was getting interesting...some soft snow in spots.

Back up the top we decided to "try" Upper FIS. The run of the day in my book. Steep and deep as always. Some smaller ice bumps were covered by 6-10 inches of powder and crud that were edgeable and skiable. Lots of folks began flocking to it. Great stuff. We picked up Looking Good and headed back up to the summit.

Next run we took Rim Run to Elbow in search of a wormhole. CB found one and we hit it...a bit too narrow for me and the snow was not great. Not ice, not snow. Not good. We bailed onto the road between Elbow and Looking Good.

We headed back up top and hit Black Diamond Rush with the short sticks. Lots of fun, but not as good as FIS. We had too many folks charging down it at once...one guy almost ran me over.

From here, we took Cruiser down to North Ridge and hit Exterminator. The upper part was great--some pow, some ice bumps underneath, but then just above the Way Back cutoff it went to hell...frozen crud and ice everywhere. No soft snow...just frozen tracks :eek: CB wanted to ride it out...it was a mess from here down Northway. They need either a warm up or a groomer and I think they will wait for the former...but it will be a long time. Single worst run of the season. Upper bumps were nice on it, but not worth it.

So we hit North Ridge and did a spin down Elbow all the way. Did another quick number down a great Upper FIS down to the Looking Good wormhole (nice glade run!). We closed out on Rim Run down to Elbow and to the bottom.

Some nice folks....some odd ones (the guy on the last chair telling us about how big his daughter's b&*(s were and then talking about skiing snow up to his "titties" ..... too much info)...and some dumb ones (the guy standing in Ellen Parking Lot and urinating facing the entire parking lot....really classy). Good conditions here and there, but nasty overall on natural runs. FIS was great, but we wish that the snow was softer for trees. Skied on to the chairs every run.

Made me recall all the good times I had skiing SB. Ellen lived up to its rep overall. I miss Lower FIS.

skibum1321

thetrailboss said:
Lower part was "dust on crust," so we bailed on Paradise Extension :blink: New trail designation I assume?
Paradise Extension has been around for a while now. It's not marked on the map, but the sign has been around.

Greg

Staff member
Did you guys really think those stairs were that bad? :blink: Instant warm-up, in my book. My bigger concern would be if they iced over. Being solid lumber, I'd imagine that could happen vs. if the treads were a steel grate. I couldn't figure out if they were just temporary or not...

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Greg said:
Did you guys really think those stairs were that bad? :blink: Instant warm-up, in my book. My bigger concern would be if they iced over. Being solid lumber, I'd imagine that could happen vs. if the treads were a steel grate. I couldn't figure out if they were just temporary or not...
No there not that bad but I did have to walk them 3 to 4 times a day. When I was there they had about a foot of POW on them8)

skibum1321

I really don't like the stairs or the whole new base area in general. It also seems that there is considerably less parking at LP now.

win

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Guess I should respond to these. The elevation of the new temporary stairs is the same as it has been for years. The old two stairs started at the same parking lot elevation and ended at the same plaza. They had less steps but were steeper. The new ones have a lesser grade and are longer and because of that are a less strenuous than the old ones. One can also walk up the maintenance road to the left of Claybrook as in the past or also set on the Village lift and ski back to the Gate House or Bravo lifts. A number of people are doing this. When Lincoln Peak is finished there will still be stairs, but the permanent ones will look different. As to the parking, there will actually be more parking that there was in the past and this is a permit condition. The construction zone this year did infringe into the parking lot to some degree, but we did not have less total parking. Next year there will be 63 underground parking spots for the residents of Claybrook and no construction zone so there will be additional parking added from this year. You also probably noticed that we increased the parking area behind the "blue roof" compressor building, and we added more parking in the "22 acre site" on Inferno road. Some of this was reserved for construction material and that will be open next year as well. The Claybrook building requires about 50-60 more yards of walking that the pastfrom the parking lot to the plaza, and compared to most ski resorts that I has visited, we still have parking closer than most even though it is different than the past several decades. We also built several new shuttles to take people from their cars to the entrance if they did not want ot walk and next year we plan to have a drop off both at the stairs and up the maintenance road near the new Timbers restaurant. The stairs are always shoveled so we do not let ice build up on them, and I am not aware of any injuries on the stairs this winter.
Not to be facetious, but a little walk is not a bad way to loosen up for a good day of skiing. I also hope that skibum1321 will have a different opinion when the project is finished in December.

Skied ME this morning. It was still a little firm but edgeable between Moguls on FIS, but with the sun coming out it was beginning to soften up nicely. Tonight will be too warm to groom much,but the moguls on FIS, Exterminator and skiers left on Elbow should be quite nice, and it may be best to be out early rather than late tomorrow.

skibum1321

win said:
I also hope that skibum1321 will have a different opinion when the project is finished in December.
I'm sure it will look good when it's finished. It is just taking some getting used to on my part to see a totally different mountain when I walk up to the LP base area. I did not get to the mountain as much as I would have liked (due to the fact that my pass was to Smuggs) and thus it was just a shock the few times that I went.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I was just spoiled since the ski school used to be located next door to the lodge. I know this is all temporary due to the construction. I'm sure when its all done it will look amazing.

Lostone

1) Trailboss, it is great that you had a good time. I saw the post and let a radio on 13-3, just in case. Sorry I couldn't get together with you for a few runs. I'd have like to do that. :)

B) I don't think those stairs are bad at all. When you think of it, you have to go from one level to the other. Those steps are wide and although the landings make it look like a monster, they also give you a rest point and make them better than they would be without those landings.

III) That said, I always suggest skiing down to the side of the village rather than walking down in ski boots. And that includes the idea of skiing down and then having to carry the skis back up. :blink:

d) Of course, you could ski down then, after accomplishing your business, ski over to the Village Chair. ride up and ski over. :cool:

smootharc

I thought the stairs were....

....nicely done for temps.

Mt. Ellen tomorrow and Sunday. Sweet.

PowderDeprived

Those stairs are great, the treads are nice and deep, and if you are not in ski boots they are a nice easy quick walk. In ski boots, they are a nice warmup.