• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush - Mt Ellen - 3/9/11

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Date(s) Skied: Wednesday 3/9/11

Resort or Ski Area: Sugarbush, VT - Mt Ellen

Conditions: Packed Powder, Powder

Trip Report:

It's been a couple of weeks since my last visit to Mt Ellen. With Mt Ellen's time dwindling for this season (it closes March 27), I had to get over there, especially after the latest storm. I arrived shortly before 9 and got on the GMX shortly after it opened. First run was Cruiser down to the NRX. It was perfectly groomed packed powder. After getting off NRX, I headed for Upper Lookin' Good and Lookin' Good. Still a little bit of nice powder to be had on the upper half, then Lookin' Good was half groomed, half bumped. It was a nice fast run. Rim Run came next, followed by Elbow, both off the Summit Quad. Then it was time to hit Exterminator. I did two runs on the Ex, one diverging onto a groomed Way Back, the other continuing on Lower Ex. The upper half of Ex had more formed bumps and some of them were a little slick, but there was some nice snow to be had on the sides. Heading over to the Inverness area, I had a nice fast run down a groomed (and open to the public) Inverness. Oh how sweet it was! Again, heading up to mid, hitting up an ungroomed and fun Which Way, then another trip over to Inverness to hit up Semi-Tough... beautiful, but a workout!

It was finally time to give Lower FIS a try, my first time on that trail since the 07/08 season. I entered via Spinout (first time on that trail for me), which had some variable snow conditions: some powder, some really sink-in thicker powder. Lower FIS was really nice, and it was groomed from the Slide Brook crossover, on down to Snowflake. The grooming was so good that if you stepped onto the courdory, you'd sink into the snow. Some "pushing" was still required to get through some of the flats. After a Sunny D run to get over to GMX via Lower Crackerjack, my last run of the day would be Southbound (another first timer) to Lower FIS. Southbound is a pretty narrow chute from the Glen House over to Lower FIS. Its entrance was interesting, and was a nice little jaunt through the trees. Lower FIS was just as good as it was before, and I kept my speed up and kept the flat-outs to a minimum. Popping out on Snowflake and the base of Sunny D, I headed right for the parking lot. By this time it was 12:30 and I was beat. It was off to town for some errands, then head back to Lincoln Peak and home.

While not as good as yesterday, today's riding was really good. I did about 15 runs during my time there, crowds were non-existant (I rode up solo on every lift ride), and conditions were superb. Hopefully I can make it back to Mt Ellen two more times before she closes for the season. If you always go to Lincoln Peak, head to Mt Ellen for some great turns on uncrowded slopes full of great terrain! Also, hats off to the Mt Ellen grooming crew - you guys really worked perfection last night (not that you don't every night, but it seemed extra good today)!

Last edited: