• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush

Savemeasammy

Skiing is on Stein's this weekend, and they groomed it last Sunday. Bummer...

thetrailboss

Staff member
It will get bumped up pretty quickly. They usually groomed it every once in a while to distribute the snow and fix thin spots.

Cornhead

Yeah, don't worry the bumps will be huge by the afternoon, they were on Superstar Sunday, and it started out groomed in the morning. I just hope they don't cancel, made reservations for the Golden Lion.

Savemeasammy

I was at sugarbush a few weeks ago after a recent grooming of Stein's, and, although bumps were forming, they were spaced widely apart: GS bumps...

I was at Killington on Saturday, and the bumps that DID form on the groomed track were the same - GS bumps. The seeded lines at the top and bottom were sweet! The bumps halfway down on the skiers right of SS weren't bad...

thetrailboss

Staff member
GS bumps: very true. In my years skiing Stein's, this was what it usually had. I'm kind of surprised that they did not leave a few nice lines on one side.

With all the traffic, they have to groom at least some of it. It's too bad that they can't keep enough snow on Spring Fling anymore; in 2008 and 2009 or so they would have Stein's and Spring Fling available for the last weekend and it was nice to have two routes...one less bumped up than the other.

deadheadskier

Staff member
No idea why, but the bumps on Stein's always seem to be of the GS variety. Literally one trail over on the Mall the bumps are always excellent, but Steins never seems to set up right. I think it's because Stein's is somewhat Sugarbush's signature expert run, so it gets a lot of traffic by people who are in over their head and side slip it too much. Just bizarre for a mountain that IMO has the best bumps in the East.

Savemeasammy

The Mall was still open when I was there (some walking at the bottom), and the bumps were MUCH better. Perhaps because it's narrower and under the lift, weaker skiers are discouraged from skiing it... Stein's is pretty wide, and it's probably one of those trails people want to brag about skiing because of the name recognition... It's funny that you say Sugarbush has the best bumps in the east. I've always thought (imo) that honor belonged to the beast - they just seem to attract the best of the best, but I'm curious what others think!

It's a shame they don't (or didn't) seed any lines on Stein's Run. It follows the fall line very well which makes for a good bump run.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The Mall was still open when I was there (some walking at the bottom), and the bumps were MUCH better. Perhaps because it's narrower and under the lift, weaker skiers are discouraged from skiing it... Stein's is pretty wide, and it's probably one of those trails people want to brag about skiing because of the name recognition... It's funny that you say Sugarbush has the best bumps in the east. I've always thought (imo) that honor belonged to the beast - they just seem to attract the best of the best, but I'm curious what others think!

It's a shame they don't (or didn't) seed any lines on Stein's Run. It follows the fall line very well which makes for a good bump run.

You get the same thing at Stowe with Liftline and National almost always having crappy bumps, yet Starr, Lookout, Goat and Chin Clip tend to have great bumps.

I'd rate Killington a close second. To get an appreciation for the bumps at Sugarbush, you need to spend a fair amount of time over at Mount Ellen. Bumpers paradise with some people calling it the Mary Jane of the East Coast.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Steins vs. Mall: I think the pitch and traffic are the reasons. Folks struggle to control themselves from sliding down the pitch. Mall has less folks and though it is steep, my recollection is that it is not quite as steep. Maybe the fact that it is natural snow vs. manmade plays a role.

Agree on bumps at Mount Ellen. The terrain over there is great. Less traffic and more of a self-selecting crowd instead of folks skidding down stuff too steep for them. Upper FIS, however, can have some GS bumps.

Savemeasammy

Scotty... Put your beer down! You've had too many already...! I will put Mt. Ellen on the to-do list for next season. I definitely need to spend more time in northern Vermont.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Upper FIS, however, can have some GS bumps.

Yeah, Upper FIS definitely can have some GS bumps. Probably for the same reason as Stein's. Yet, just like Stein's there's a trail right next to it with usually fantastic bumps - Black Diamond.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Yes, saw it groomed Sunday night, but today it appears there are bumps on far looker's right up top, though maybe my eyes were deceiving me.

Going to build the ramps in the AM for Valley House. Will see if there's bumps there or not.

shiloh1988

I am going to Sugarbush May 5 through the 8. I was wondering how the spring skiing is and if you think they will be getting more snow. It says its supposed to rain while I am there but at the peaks it will be snowing. Could that all change to snow? In the begginning it was supposed to be snow.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I am going to Sugarbush May 5 through the 8. I was wondering how the spring skiing is and if you think they will be getting more snow. It says its supposed to rain while I am there but at the peaks it will be snowing. Could that all change to snow? In the begginning it was supposed to be snow.

Welcome to the boards.

This is the final weekend for Sugarbush. They are only open for skiing on Saturday and Sunday. One trail (Steins).