• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf 03-29-08

loafer89

Area skied: Sugarloaf

Date skied: March 29th, 2008 from 9:15am - 4:30pm

Surface conditions: Powder, 6" new, packed powder, hardpacked

Weather: sunshine and 20F (base) at 9:15am, windy and 20F at 4:30pm

Warren and I decided to head up to Sugarloaf as we where eating breakfast in Rumford Center when I called the snow phone to find out that they got 3-6" of new snow overnight. We made the 72 mile drive up in a bit over one hour and arrived to a calm and sunny Sugarloaf.

We started our day at West Mountain which is the first time that I have done this and it works quite well as you can park the car about 500' from the West Mountain chair.

We took West Mountain X-cut to the Superquad and to the Timberline chair. Our first run was down White Nitro top to bottom which was decent if a bit scratchy and the wind had blown the powder all over the place resulting in a mix of powder and hardpacked.

Next up was Gondi Line which had lots of loose powder down the middle, but was icy in spots below Mid-Station X-Cut. Bubblecuffer was nice but had icy troughs and powdery tops to the bumps.

Warren skiing Gondi Line for the first time:

GondolaLine-1.jpg

We headed over to King Pine Bowl and we skied Cant Dog Glade top to bottom followed by a run down Misery Whip. By this point in the day the wind started to really get gusty and the Timberline Chair closed, followed by the King Pine Chair.

On Misery Whip for the first time:

MiseryWhip-2.jpg

The afternoon was spent skiing off of Whiffletree and we took runs down Poleline, Springboard, Whiffletree/Blueberry Grove Glade, Stubs Glade and Rookie River Glade.

Powder in Stubs Glade:

StubsGladepowder.jpg

We also skied Tote Road and Kings Landing to Swedish Fiddle Glade, Windrow/Scoot/Boomscooter Glade.

Our last run down from Spillway was on Winters Way which was survival skiing on the top 1/3 of the trail with nasty exposed rutted ice moguls and a whipping wind.

All in all we had a decent day, but I am reminded why I wait until April to ski Sugarloaf as that is when the upper mountain finally softens up.

I am quite sore from a hard day of skiing and look forward to some groomers tomorrow at Sunday River.

Last edited:

salsgang

Cool - thanks for the report. Must of been a bit chilly for end of March skiing - even for the loaf.

? on West Mountain. Do they have ticket services there at the bottom of the lift? Or did you already have your tickets.

Hope you enjoy your day at the River. We are off to Wildcat.

loafer89

Cool - thanks for the report. Must of been a bit chilly for end of March skiing - even for the loaf.

? on West Mountain. Do they have ticket services there at the bottom of the lift? Or did you already have your tickets.

Hope you enjoy your day at the River. We are off to Wildcat.

There are no guest services at West Mountain and we have season's passes so we where all set to go.

Sugarloaf was not very cold, the wind was a bit annoying but otherwise it was a nice day. Cold for me is -10F of lower, so yesterday was fairly comfortable with 20F at the base and around 5-10F at the summit.

Mildcat

Too bad you weren't there today. I skied there Friday, Saturday and Today. Today was definitely the pick of the weekend.

You're right about yesterday not being too cold but I took a couple of runs off of timberline before it closed and nearly froze my arse off because of the wind.

klrskiah

Too bad you weren't there today. I skied there Friday, Saturday and Today. Today was definitely the pick of the weekend.

You're right about yesterday not being too cold but I took a couple of runs off of timberline before it closed and nearly froze my arse off because of the wind.

Definitely one of the best of the season. Backside was incredible all day long. No wind, bright sun.. Unfortunately the batteries in my camera died.

Probably one of the busiest days of the season

Timberline ran till 4 today

thetrailboss

Staff member
If it was anything like Sugarbush was, it must have been freezing....

Nice report and pics.

loafer89

If it was anything like Sugarbush was, it must have been freezing....

Nice report and pics.

Nothing colder than normal for Sugarloaf and it was a nice day except for gusty winds at the top of the Superquad and Spillway. Cold/cool weather looks to hang around for the next two weeks, setting up good conditions for mid-April vacation week.