• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf - 1/28/17 - 1/30/17

skiMEbike

Date(s) Skied: Saturday 1/28/17 thru Monday 1/30/17

Resort or Ski Area: Sugarloaf

Conditions: Packed Powder, Loose Granular, Powder, Frozen Granular

Trip Report: Coming off 3 days of skiing at the Loaf...I wanted to get a quick report out to give the AZ summit attendees a preview of what to expect: Some of the best January coverage & skiing you can get for this time of year. Sunday & Monday weather was cold single digit to teens at the summit with off/on clouds snow showers, and some sun poking through....Makes for great skiing weather/scenery. For the most part, the entire Mtn is open with the exception of backside snowfields, Burnt summit, and a few summit extensions. Everything is skiing great. The woods are in play with good conditions/coverage, the natural/bump trails are covered & all skiing very nice. Over the course of the three days, I was able to sample the summit extensions (Powder Keg, Nitro, Bubblecuffer-partially, and Gondi)...I'd say Nitro has the most snow, & Powder Keg was fun(after you got by the entrance which is typically scoured down to ice). As for Glades, they are skiing ok, some better than others....I was able to sample Toke, Pipecleaner, Max, Brackett, Rookie River, Broccoli garden to name a few..IMO the front face glades are skiing the best, and have the most snow, but there are lines to be had just about everywhere. The Loaf has been fortunate to have been getting off & on flurries over the last few weeks & 2 of the 3 days we were there...These little dustings have helped the glades stay somewhat fresh. I skied 3 days & didn't do one run on Hayburner or Kings (which means there's too many other good trails to ski). My favorite trails from the weekend in order of awesomeness: Bubblecuffer, Winters Way, Gondi/Gondi Glade (skiers right of Gondi on edge of glade is buried), and Comp Hill (Tons of snow on Comp with recent snowmaking).
Looking up Bubblecuffer
BBCuffer Up.jpg

Looking down Bubblecuffer
BBucuffer Down.jpg

Toke Road
Toke RD.jpg

Glade between Skidder & Hayburner(Up & down)
Skidder Glade Up.jpg
SkidderGlade.jpg

skiMEbike

Here are a few more photos:

Winters Way (Snow falling from the sky, sunshine, and BUMPS....Perfect)
WWay Up.jpg
WWay Down.jpg