• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf April 14th, 2006

loafer89

Area skied: Sugarloaf/USA

Date Skied: April 14th, 2006 from 8:25am - 3:30pm

Surface Conditions: Spring Snow, Frozen Granular (early) icy patches, bare spots.

My son and I started the day on the Superquad by taking a run down a frozen and uncarvable upper Tote Road. The freezing level must have been at about 2500', because the snow below that level was silky smooth. Our next run was down Kings Landing which like Tote Road had been groomed the night before. Kings Landing was somewhat better and a mix of corn snow and ice cookies.

Warren skied down Tote Road again and I skied Bouble Bitter which was death defying with numerous bare spots and exposed ice, why that trail was open, I still do not understand:uzi: . I meet up with my son and we skied a somewhat frozen Sluice which had nice corn snow down the middle. We took Spillway up to check on the Timberline Quad which was still not open at 10:00am, so we skied down Lower Timberline which had nice groomed snow, to Scoot which was nice as well. Lower Tote Road at this point was already getting very slushy.

We made our was back up the Superquad to the Timberline Quad which was now open and we skied a groomed Timberline which had nice corn snow, but was reduced to 50% width in spots due to snowmelt. Tote Road extension was firm but carvable and we skied down it's length back to our hotel for lunch.

Sugarloaf after 1pm was a transformed mountain with soft corn snow everywhere. Warren and I skied down a virtually unskied Competition Hill which had beautiful corn snow that was not to heavy. We Skied Boomauger as well which had fantastic snow with edge to edge cover and very deep base depths.:cool:

Warren ended his day after that and I proceeded to ski terrain off of the Spillway Lift. White Nitro had great spring snow with a firm base underneath. Gondi Line was much the same with soft "speed bump" moguls that exploded when you skied into them, the trail was thin below the gondi mid-station but still fun. Winter's Way from Spillway X-Cut had a hairy approach with several "make or break" turns necessary to avoid large rocks/boulders. The trail was very thin and gave new meaning to the term "thin cover" but was a challenge to ski to the junction with Gondi Line.

I saved my favorite trail on the mountain, Bubblecuffer for the last run. The upper part had very good cover with large moguls in many spots and very little in the way of thin cover, until just past the Gondi mid-station where the trail had sparse snowcover.

By 3:30pm, when I ended my day, the temperature was easily near 70F with bluebird skies. It was easily the warmest day that I ever enjoyed at Sugarloaf, and one of my top five of all time:cool: :razz: . My only complaint was that more of the mountain could easily have been opened. King Pine Bowl had plenty of snowcover as did the Whiffletree area and looked very inviting, but where roped off:evil: :roll:

Last edited:

loafer89

Here are some pictures from April 14th:

The mountain early on friday morning:

SugarloafApril14th2006.jpg

Ramdown:

Ramdown.jpg

Upper Bubblecuffer:

UpperBubblecuffer1.jpg

Middle Bubblecuffer:

MiddleBubblecuffer.jpg

Halfpipe:

Halfpipe.jpg

Upper Winters Way:

UpperWintersWay.jpg

Gondi Line:

GondiLine.jpg

Friday evening:

Fridayevening.jpg

Last edited:

loafer89

ALLSKIING said:
Thanks for the pics...Snowfields are really brown.

Glad to share them,

Sugarloaf never bothered to blow snow in the snowfields on White Nitro Ext, so that accounts for part of the reason the snowfields look so brown. It has been an awful snow year for Maine, and this is the least amount of snow I have seen on the mountain since April 1995.

There is nearly no natural snow in the mountains of Western Maine. The area between Sugarloaf and Saddleback is virtually snowless. Flagstaff lake is iced out, something I have never seen in April:eek:, Rangeley lake is still iced over, but has no snowcover on it.

Usually in mid April, one can still find a few feet of snow on the ground, especially in shaded locations, but not so this year.