• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf April 16th, 2006 (closing day)

loafer89

Area skied: Sugarloaf

Date skied: April 16th, 2005 from 10:00am

Surface conditions: frozen granular, ice, spring snow.

I started out the day at 10:00am with a run down Tote Road. The trail had been groomed last night before the temperature fell below freezing, so for the most part it is frozen solid except for near the base where it gets soft and mushy.

Warren and I did this trail down to Peavy X-Cut and over to the Spillway chair. By this time it had started to snow lightly. We looked at a groomed but frozen solid Sluice and Spillway, but I passed them up with Warren in tow and skied back down Tote Road again to leave my son at the lodge.

I skied down Sluice which involved more sideways sliding than skiing on rock hard frozen granular snow.

Boardwalk was better with groomed soft snow to ski on back to the lodge where I am right now.

It is snowing steadily right now, but not accumulating at the base area. I will head out for a few more runs this afternoon before calling it the end of my season.

Last edited:

loafer89

I just took two more runs down Spillway and Tote Road. Spillway has about 1/2" of new snow on it with some areas of open water and slush mixed in with the new snow.

Tote Road is icy with a few areas of new windblown snow on the trail edges. I skied it back to Boardwalk which is now much softer.

The snow report is a complete lie, as Spillway X-cut is closed. Maybe there are 35-40 trails open, not 54 as is stated in this mornings reports.

In any case we are headed home now, and saying goodbye to the 2005-2006 season.

loafer89

Pictures from sunday:

Looking up at Sugarloaf veiled in a snow squall:

SugarloafApril16th2006.jpg

Warren skiing a frozen Tote Road:

ToteRoadsunday.jpg

The conditions where not worth alot of pictures and it was quite cold with snowshowers from 10-12pm. By the time we left at 1:00pm, the snow had changed over to rain at the base with the temp at 39F.