• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf in April

thetrailboss

Staff member
So this is going to blow your minds--but we are considering a trip back east to see family in Maine and Vermont on our daughter's April vacation. It is LATE this year. April 15-22nd.

SOME of you met my now wife (fiance at the time) WAY back at our Sugarloaf Summit in 2010. Those who met her most likely learned that her family had a ski house at the 'Loaf and it is her home mountain.

SO.....I'm thinking of pitching a trip up there for memories and skiing. I'd also be game for Sunday River if it is open.

I don't know if the Loaf is doing Reggae Weekend anymore...or if so when it is. I also skied the Loaf pretty late in the season in 2010 and 2011 (late April). So....any knowledge as to if it will be open that week? Easter is April 17th. Thanks.

thebigo

We are planning the same thing but our vacation is the week after yours. We had the same plan last year but they closed a week early; march and april were warm last year with zero snow.

Good thing about that time of year, nobody is there but the loaf does rely on natural for late season. We may audible to K if the loaf does not make it. Not much to do around there for kids other than ski and kids don't last long late in the year. Is the bowling alley still open? I always make sure to book a condo with hot tub and pool to minimize the whining.

parahelia

SR is usually open until at least the second weekend of Mass vacation week (April 23/24 this year). Some years they closed Tu-Th the week leading up to that last weekend, much to our annoyance when up there with our kids. Last year I believe they were open through that entire week in order to make their 150 day promise.

The Loaf is def open daily that week, they always seem to have a ton of snow through April. I feel like they've moved Reggae earlier in the month than it used to be. We used to go regularly but not so much with kiddos.

machski

SR is usually open until at least the second weekend of Mass vacation week (April 23/24 this year). Some years they closed Tu-Th the week leading up to that last weekend, much to our annoyance when up there with our kids. Last year I believe they were open through that entire week in order to make their 150 day promise.

The Loaf is def open daily that week, they always seem to have a ton of snow through April. I feel like they've moved Reggae earlier in the month than it used to be. We used to go regularly but not so much with kiddos.
Probably moved it up to weekend of 10th this year to avoid Easter paired to it (Easter is the 17th weekend this year).

Andrew B.

Probably moved it up to weekend of 10th this year to avoid Easter paired to it (Easter is the 17th weekend this year).
It’s typically been the second weekend.
As early as the 8th or as late as the 14.

Been there several times when it coincided with an early Easter.

bigbob

I spent 3 days early last week at the Loaf and I must say I have never seen such little snowpack there for this time of year. It was groomers and snowmaking trails only. The base is solid, so find a tuning shop before you leave Utah and ask for a race tune. The Nor Am's where being held when the lifts opened due to wind holds. We had a table of women's US ski team members playing cards next to us in the King Pine Room while waiting for the lifts to open, which they did. We were allowed to ski across the race course and it felt like concrete, but I guess that's what you need to hit 89 mph!

KustyTheKlown

i just realized i am off for good Friday - i realize this anew every year, its great - and I'm thinking about sugarloaf. flights to anyplace out west were stupid expensive for that weekend.

machski

Well, very surprised to see they shutdown snowmaking ops this morning. They had said they'd blow through today but didn't. If they are open midweek April 19-21, may head up as SR isn't open that week (except Patriots day Monday). But will depend on who is offering more variety, SL or K. K I can day trip from home, SL is day trip material from SR condo. We'll see, right now K is winning given the natural that has fallen (15+ to zip for SL) and the absolute assault on SS (looks like WC Build effort!)

Cornhead

I've skied the backside of Sugarloaf on April 28th, it was a snowy spring. Not sure of the year, probably about 10yrs ago.

machski

I've skied the backside of Sugarloaf on April 28th, it was a snowy spring. Not sure of the year, probably about 10yrs ago.
Will take like 4 feet plus no warmth this April for that with reports I've heard up there. Which is why I was shocked they shut down snowmaking this morning and didn't run another 24 + hours. They really needed to.

oldfartrider

A few shots from the Loaf on Sunday. They got 3 or 4” on the upper mtn Sat night

Attachments

• 7A96ABC6-001F-478A-96A5-0FF9711E0C06.jpeg
    7A96ABC6-001F-478A-96A5-0FF9711E0C06.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 27
  • 5ABA6F4C-F45B-43FD-B49D-E78BC83E0AA2.jpeg
    5ABA6F4C-F45B-43FD-B49D-E78BC83E0AA2.jpeg
    940.4 KB · Views: 27

KustyTheKlown

I had an awesome day today. I’ve had really bad luck with sugarloaf - my first attempt like ten years ago was a rain out and a major moose car accident. my second attempt last year was also a washout and another minor car accident! with rain in the forecast today I was nervous, but it was awesome. Snow up top. Rain down low. Never steady or heavy enough to be bothersome but I def took on some water. That place is big and has a lot of fun terrain and a lot of it is still open with great cover. Best pond skim set up I’ve ever seen with a short pond with a ramp to downhill transition out so people could throw big tricks leaving the pond. Multiple backflips - https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cca0eYGj5jj/?igshid=NjY2NjE5MzQ= . Awesome day!

Attachments

• E39A1328-8DF3-4179-914C-EB7C9AD65C5D.png
    E39A1328-8DF3-4179-914C-EB7C9AD65C5D.png
    4 MB · Views: 17

ThatGuy

What happened with the moose? I feel like you told the story recently but I forgot it. Seems like you’ve had bad luck in Maine was the accident last year the same one as when you tried to go to Saddleback and got skunked?

KustyTheKlown

It was early season pre Xmas. Maine got like 18-20” storm thurs>fri and vermont got rained on, and I drove all night Friday to ski sugarloaf saturday, but the snow had flipped to rain and froze and I had a bad day. The weather said jay would get 12”+ sat>sun so I decided to drive from loaf to jay at like 430 am. I was in island pond vermont and there was maybe 2-3” of snow on the road, sunrise, and I come to the crest of a hill and a moose was just in the middle of the road like 10 feet ahead. My passenger side headlight hit him, he went flying, I went spinning, wound up upside down. Walked like an hour before the first car came along, gave me a ride to town. Eventually I got a ride from a mechanic to Lebanon nh and flew to westchester on a 10 seat cape air plane with a black garbage bag full of all the shit from my totaled car

The saddleback incident last season is the same sugarloaf incident I referenced. My intention was originally saddleback. Audibled to sugarloaf bc of wind holds. Spun out on a slushy hill curve and slowly wound up nose in a snowbank. Had to get tugged out but drove away no damave

That’s my only two accidents my whole life and both involve sugarloaf

thebigo

Three years running, tried to schedule April vacation at the loaf. First year it was covid, last year they closed early, this year I call and every pool at the Loaf is closed. The pool is half the fun for the kids and valuable bribery with the wife. Guess I will be picking up a K spring pass. No matter how what I try, early and late season always lead back to K.