• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf in April

KustyTheKlown

Three years running, tried to schedule April vacation at the loaf. First year it was covid, last year they closed early, this year I call and every pool at the Loaf is closed. The pool is half the fun for the kids and valuable bribery with the wife. Guess I will be picking up a K spring pass. No matter how what I try, early and late season always lead back to K.

i dont know shit about sugarloaf lodging, but i can tell you that as i walked from the hill to my car on Saturday, a whole bunch of people were in the outdoor hot-tub pool that appears to be connected to the big official hotel at the main base

chuckstah

Yesterday (April 25th ) was a great spring day. Most main routes were open with great cover, getting a bit thin on some natural trails and on some of the run-outs
Screenshot_20220426-145104.pngScreenshot_20220426-145042.pngEverything softened up nicely but the top took till the afternoon. Get up there if you can. Winter's Way.

parahelia

Yesterday (April 25th ) was a great spring day. Most main routes were open with great cover, getting a bit thin on some natural trails and on some of the run-outs
View attachment 54391View attachment 54392Everything softened up nicely but the top took till the afternoon. Get up there if you can. Winter's Way.
Nice! I'm heading there for Friday, glad to hear the naturals are still in play, I don't mind dodging some dirt/grass...

parahelia

I skied Sugarloaf today. The amount of coverage was incredible for 4/29, and it snowed lightly for most of the day. Closing day is this Sunday, with 50+ trails open. I know they're too far away from people for Boyne to deem it worthwhile, but boy could they give Killington a run for its money late season with their latitude and aspect.

The conditions were incredibly variable. They got rain earlier this week, followed by ~4 inches of snow (at least at higher elevations). The wind and cold followed and continued into today. Yesterday they were reduced to the T-bar & the double to get you there but today at least the lifts were running. Today's skiing featured all of the New England skiing food groups:
- ice (both groomed and irregular surfaces frozen from previous springy conditions), sometimes covered with fresh snow
- wind-scoured surfaces
- powder drifts amidst the ice
- occasional actual groomed packed powder
- grass and shrubs
- corn and slush at low elevations in the afternoon

It never softened too much except at lower elevations. I was sorely tempted to follow the tracks into some of my favorite woods, but did not take the bait skiing solo with that hard surface underneath.

It should be amazing on Sunday when things soften up for the last day of the season.

IMG_6264.JPG
IMG_6271.JPG
IMG_6269.JPG
IMG_6270.JPG

djd66

I skied Sugarloaf today. The amount of coverage was incredible for 4/29, and it snowed lightly for most of the day. Closing day is this Sunday, with 50+ trails open. I know they're too far away from people for Boyne to deem it worthwhile, but boy could they give Killington a run for its money late season with their latitude and aspect.

The conditions were incredibly variable. They got rain earlier this week, followed by ~4 inches of snow (at least at higher elevations). The wind and cold followed and continued into today. Yesterday they were reduced to the T-bar & the double to get you there but today at least the lifts were running. Today's skiing featured all of the New England skiing food groups:
- ice (both groomed and irregular surfaces frozen from previous springy conditions), sometimes covered with fresh snow
- wind-scoured surfaces
- powder drifts amidst the ice
- occasional actual groomed packed powder
- grass and shrubs
- corn and slush at low elevations in the afternoon

It never softened too much except at lower elevations. I was sorely tempted to follow the tracks into some of my favorite woods, but did not take the bait skiing solo with that hard surface underneath.

It should be amazing on Sunday when things soften up for the last day of the season.

View attachment 54414
View attachment 54415
View attachment 54416
View attachment 54417
Wow, that’s incredible. Pictures 2 & 3 look like something you would see in February!

KustyTheKlown

unreal how good this spring was after how bad this winter was. best april i've had in years, maybe ever, after one of the worst marches

Vortex

I got out Friday, Sat and a few runs Sunday. Sat and Sunday we off the chart. Friday was good too. Sunday with the groom o Skidder it was spectacular. Run of the weekend,