• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf West Mtn Expansion and HSQ officially a go

soposkier

Sugarloaf is currently reporting 439 acres while killington is showing 381 acres. Were you skiing mostly natural or has boyne built yet another omnipotent snowmaking system at the loaf?
Take a look at Saddlebacks report, 100% open. Haven't made it up there yet this year but crazy how different even Saddleback and Sugarloaf can be from one another given the proximity.

Edd

Take a look at Saddlebacks report, 100% open. Haven't made it up there yet this year but crazy how different even Saddleback and Sugarloaf can be from one another given the proximity.
Pretty sure Saddleback base elevation is significantly higher.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think Saddleback also gets slightly more snow. Maybe the large lakes locally add some juice. Also, most of the skiing at SB is really above 2500 feet elevation. Only the beginning terrain is below it. The mountain also has less exposure and doesn't get pummeled by wind nearly as bad.

Both seem to be having the best seasons of anywhere in the East this season

Andrew B.

Killington got rid of any in person ticket purchases but the Guest Service desks are still staffed at all *5* base lodges for folks that have buying issues or questions. Is there anyone on staff at WC or Barker like this or all gone?
They are manning the SR sports closets (tooo small to be called stores IMO) in each location. I imagine if you had a CS issue you could go in there and they will call someone for you but front facing CS is really only at south ridge.

tipsdown

I didn't realize it had that much higher of a base elevation. 700' is significant
It is although that includes the massive runout of the Snubber lift. It is a very flat real estate lift. Sugarloaf's base village is around 1800 ft.

tipsdown

I think Saddleback also gets slightly more snow. Maybe the large lakes locally add some juice. Also, most of the skiing at SB is really above 2500 feet elevation. Only the beginning terrain is below it. The mountain also has less exposure and doesn't get pummeled by wind nearly as bad.

Both seem to be having the best seasons of anywhere in the East this season
Agreed. Most of the blue/black terrain at both mountains is about 2500-2600 ft and up.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Interesting. "Kircher Concepts" doing mountain construction projects and design work. Recognize some of the projects? Must be Boyne is branching out.

crystalmountainskier

Interesting. "Kircher Concepts" doing mountain construction projects and design work. Recognize some of the projects? Must be Boyne is branching out.

Stephen Kircher’s son Everett’s company. He is very talented.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Maybe that helps force their hand on updating the SQ. There's going to be a fair amount of people who typically ski Whiffletree who now ski over on West. The combination of those skiers plus day trippers starting on West May result in even longer lines on the SQ. Greater capacity and reliability would really benefit there.

LoafSkier19

I'm not surprised. It's enough of a hike from SQ base to the old Bucksaw base. I'm disappointed they didn't take this opportunity to redo their impossible-to-read trail map.
To make the map worse, every lift is off to the left. #3 T is more where Skyline should b, KP going up Ripsaw, etc. Hopefully they fix the lift layout before they start printing maps.

Overall I’m happy we got the expansion. Used to enjoy some low key laps off old Bucksaw when everything else got crowded. Glad that option is back plus there should be direct ski trail access from the lower lots now. On a side note, I’ll be curious to see what’s left of the glades that were there as well.

Reactions: Edd

The Sneak

Ok I have not been to the Loaf in many years, but I was a UMF student in the 90s who was at the Loaf multiple days per week, and remember Whiffletree as a solid trail pod for it's intended audience. This new West expansion looks more like 'convenient lift access for property owners' with a trail or 2 thrown in than a pod. Am I missing something? I'm slow and have not read this thread in full.

ceo

Looks like somehow that layer got shifted when they updated the map.
Wow, that's really bad. WM and Bucksaw are in the right place, but the Double Runners are not only shifted left, but so far apart it looks like DR East goes up Lower Winter's Way. Skidway is completely to the left of the former gondola cut (why is that even still on the map?), and I initially thought they'd taken #3 T-bar off the map entirely.