• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River 02Dec14

Edd

Just did a morning session as it is my first day and conditions here are uninspiring, which is to say, firm as fuck. Weather is perfect; low 20s, sunny with no clouds and no wind.

Tried my new Brahmas (180) with the Kneebindings. I demoed a pair last year in great soft conditions. Trying them on the boilerplate was eye-opening. These are no-joke stiff. They performed very well and turn on a dime.

Locals told me they lost coverage recently due to rain and warm ups and it certainly looked that way.

Pics:

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1417538705.538233.jpg

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1417538725.225356.jpg

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1417538742.260309.jpg

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1417538760.184929.jpg

dlague

That is the tough part of early season skiing - warm ups and refreeze days with the occasional R@!n &^#@%*&$%^* days makes those cold days more interesting to ski - need to pay attention. It is happening a lot of places and generally touch up with snow making but once scraped off there is that boiler plate!

We ski with that expectation through January. Take what the mountain gives you!

bigbog

Think it'll next week I may be free to make it out to the Loaf Edd, sorry about that...and to hear of the conditions. Continuing on from dlague's.... you know the old Maine melt/freeze mountain line(somewhat like the song)...Over the Edges and through the woods to Bullwinkle's house we go...:grin: ...Only without Bullwinkles open...:thumbdown:

JonD

Thanks for the trip report. I just picked up a pair of Brahmas yesterday. I'm hoping to break them in at SR this weekend.

dlague

I was laughing today. I heard a ski report and they mentioned that Sunday River had 12 miles of trials open with silky smooth snow and they only thing that entered my mind was this trip report! :dontknow:

snoseek

Looks decent for December 2nd. Some years its still WROD.

BrewSKI22282

At least the sun was out though. Bummer its gone back to hardpack but to be expected with the weather. Had some fun up there on Sunday, snow was scratchy in some spots but really softened up as the day went on.

Missyski

It was great Thursday and Friday after the snow. The weekend did get ridiculously skied off each day with more people starting to show up, but the ungroomed sides of the trails stayed soft and bumped all weekend so I stuck more to that than the groomed areas.

BrewSKI22282

Think it'll next week I may be free to make it out to the Loaf Edd, sorry about that...and to hear of the conditions. Continuing on from dlague's.... you know the old Maine melt/freeze mountain line(somewhat like the song)...Over the Edges and through the woods to Bullwinkle's house we go...:grin: ...Only without Bullwinkles open...:thumbdown:

Mmmmmmm Bullwinkles poutine...gimmie

chuckstah

I was laughing today. I heard a ski report and they mentioned that Sunday River had 12 miles of trials open with silky smooth snow and they only thing that entered my mind was this trip report! :dontknow:

The snow today was silky smooth with the half foot of snow overnight, and the warm temps. Great day. Tomorrow it will be back to frozen tundra when it refreezes tonight!