• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday river 1/3/16

eastcoaster

Started off with great conditions for the first 3-4 runs....until the crowds came and too over. Turned to ice all over the mountain very quickly, it's only worth it if you get there early and expect to be there until about 11. Got 12 runs in from 8-11 not bad with lines!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Edd

Sounds like a holiday week with limited terrain. You probably did as well as can be expected.

Vortex

I pretty much went out with the first chair all week and skied until Mid day. Aurora, recovered nice after snow making and grooming. Obsession was fantastic. Adding on spruce spread people out. Yesterday morning was the best of the ten day break. Be back on the hill Friday.

Griswold

Did they turn 3-D into a terrain park too? That would be too bad, I learned moguls on that trail in the 90s

Griswold

Thanks, it's good to know there are at least a few moguls there still. Will have to hit them if I make it back!

SkiFanE

I skied 7 days straight. Day 1 was before snowstorm and sucked, took one run. From Tuesday on it was fabulous. But I stay off the middle of groomers. Those even held up well most of the week but did get scratchy by end . Saturday and Sunday had awesome snow on Amex and downdraft.

I don't think there is a ski area in the east that can keep a groomed trailed from getting icy if its manmade and without natural snow at least weekly. Just impossible. Or maybe I'm skiing the wrong place lol - seems like the nature of our environment

KustyTheKlown

pretty bummed out. was planning to get up to SR saturday and sunday, but now saturday night and sunday look to be rain, and i dont know what to do.

KustyTheKlown

yea, loaf is just a hell of a trek for me, and i dont know if thats really worth the distance when the glades and brackett arent in play.

KustyTheKlown

i have a centrally located hotel room in lebanon/white river junction friday night. this is the debate i'm having right now:

sunday river - free for me on max pass. $39 for lesson and beginner lift ticket for girlfriend. would need motel saturday night but probably would not ski sunday because rain. 6.5+ hour drive. apparently they are focusing snowmaking on the terrain park, which is bollocks.

sugarbush - BOGO for NE Ski & Ride Card. $46 for me. $46 for girlfriend plus $60 lesson. sugarbush's learn to ski program lift ticket is too beginner for her (it is only the learning slope double chair). would not need hotel saturday night because i can handle the 5 hour drive in one sitting. i appreciate the liberal trail openings and am happy to ski steeps on thin cover.

i told the girlfriend i'd split the cost of her lesson if we go to sugarbush. so basically go to sugarbush for $75 out of my personal pocket, and don't pay for a hotel, or go to sunday river with $0 out of my personal pocket and pay for a hotel.

leaning towards sugarbush at the moment. sort of pains me to spend when i have all these freebies on max pass and champlain card, but it is the ride and ski club day at the bush, so i would still be taking advantage of some SOTC, and they are offering so much more than everyone else right now.

girlfriend also has a champlain valley card, but bolton and burke aren't worth skiing yet, and smuggler's whiteface gore cannon aren't good enough to ski yet. what a pickle.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

i'm skiing saturday 100% and saturday should be a fine day. heading to the hotel in white river junction first thing after work friday.

the question is do i keep my motel room near sunday river or cancel it and go to sugarbush instead.

VTKilarney

i'm skiing saturday 100% and saturday should be a fine day. heading to the hotel in white river junction first thing after work friday.

the question is do i keep my motel room near sunday river or cancel it and go to sugarbush instead.

That's what I get for not checking the weather. I see that Saturday is looking better than it was the last time I checked.

I'd go with Sugarbush. The drive is so much easier. It's almost all interstate.

KustyTheKlown

yea, it being the NE Ride and Ski Club Day pretty much seals the deal. worth the few extra bucks, and it really comes out to be a wash since i won't stay over. sunday looks to be confidently a rainy mess, so i'll get in and out quick and ski the most possible terrain.

good talk.

KustyTheKlown

hard to live by that rule for me, living in brooklyn and skiing 40 days a year. plenty of ~8 hour round trip drives to magic, stratton, gore, killington for one day of skiing. usually in january february and march i can squeeze out a full weekend tho. this freakin winter, man.

VTKilarney

hard to live by that rule for me, living in brooklyn and skiing 40 days a year. plenty of ~8 hour round trip drives to magic, stratton, gore, killington for one day of skiing. usually in january february and march i can squeeze out a full weekend tho. this freakin winter, man.

That is some serious dedication.