• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River 22-23

Newpylong

Jordan would seem illogical given the traverse and number of lifts needed to get there once services begin to be scaled back. If it were me I would close Barker in a heartbeat to make sure the lift is done in time for next year. Run Locke longer if you have to.

kickstand

I have one of the1994 posters w/ the Jordan Village design.
Les gave it to me after a bad night (for him) playing poker.

Not real accurate as the hotel is at the base, not 300' uphill.
Also has a village w/ "40-50 retail locations".
Can't believe that was 30 years ago...

Any one remember when the Jordan Hotel under construction burned ?
I remember it was a Sat., closing Sirrius at 4:15 and seeing huge smoke billowing from the construction site.
Late 90s, a friend of mine and I popped in to say hi to old marketing director. On the back of his door he had a somewhat detailed map of the next wave of expansion. Things obviously got in the way and those plans changed, but I distinctly remember him saying Jordan is in the middle of the property SR owns and that hotel and proposed village was slated to be the center of SR in the future. It also had the next 3 peaks past Jordan Bowl mapped out. Jordan Mountain is the only one I remember the name of.

2Planker

Late 90s, a friend of mine and I popped in to say hi to old marketing director. On the back of his door he had a somewhat detailed map of the next wave of expansion. Things obviously got in the way and those plans changed, but I distinctly remember him saying Jordan is in the middle of the property SR owns and that hotel and proposed village was slated to be the center of SR in the future. It also had the next 3 peaks past Jordan Bowl mapped out. Jordan Mountain is the only one I remember the name of.
There was also a plan for an access rd from the west. Crossing the river in Gilead and then coming off of North Rd

bigbob

Someone was looking for housing few weeks back for this summer for workers who would be doing a lift install. Sounds to me like it will happen this upcoming off season. With this being the third install in the east I am sure they are getting faster at it and this looks to be less involved than Jordon install.

kbroderick

There was also a plan for an access rd from the west. Crossing the river in Gilead and then coming off of North Rd
You don't happen to know specifics of that, do you? I know the idea has been around, but the topography looks pretty challenging. It's very possible once you're in the Sunday River drainage, but getting there from North Road looks expensive.

urungus

Planning on heading to Sunday River for the first time and was wondering if anyone has any info about shuttle buses between the lodges (map of routes, frequency, location of stops, operating hours, etc) … official site is extremely unhelpful https://www.sundayriver.com/shuttles-and-parking … in particular, is there a shuttle that goes out to Jordan/Oz and is it faster than traversing from White Cap / Barker / South Ridge ?

Andrew B.

Planning on heading to Sunday River for the first time and was wondering if anyone has any info about shuttle buses between the lodges (map of routes, frequency, location of stops, operating hours, etc) … official site is extremely unhelpful https://www.sundayriver.com/shuttles-and-parking … in particular, is there a shuttle that goes out to Jordan/Oz and is it faster than traversing from White Cap / Barker / South Ridge ?
The shuttles run regularly is all I can say as I am not a frequent rider. I can almost guarantee it’s quicker to ski there and back. If you end up there you will get back by shuttle but planning around the shuttles isn’t a garuntee. If you just miss one you will most likely be waiting another hour. They start in the morning on time but you can’t set a watch to them.

Is your goal to get to Jordan quickly and not parking out there? There is no lodge out there and the parking for day trippers is not clearly marked. They discourage that but if you follow your nose I bet you can figure it out. Hint: parking lot is before the hotel on the left and getting back to the lot requires skiing close to the hotel and not a marked trail by any means. When you see the stair way take a right and follow the path.

IMO for a first time visitor I would plan on getting there early and parking at WC, B or SR but the key is to get to spruce lift (#8) and going out Sirius if J8 is your mission. Both Barker (#2) and SR (#1 or #7) can get you to #8 in one lift ride. WC will require two rides to get to #8

WC has advantages because it’s usually the least crowded of the three.

I know it didn’t answer your schedule question, I am not sure anyone could do that with any accuracy but I hope the info helps

Edd

I wouldn’t bother shuttling between those areas unless there’s special circumstances. Skied there hundreds of days and never used a shuttle.

Granite1

I parked at Jordan for the first time a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday, arrived a very late for me at 9:30 am and parked 100 feet from the ski trail that goes down to the Jordan8. It's a very easy in and out, but have to boot up at the car. Although they don't have a lodge there, they have a pretty cool outdoor area with seating, fire pits, several vendors for food/beer. Don't bother with the shuttles.

Granite1

Parking at Jordan, the screen shot shows the parking lot. The access trail to the Jordan is where the white cursor is. The access trail back to the parking lot is where the food service symbol is.

Attachments

• Screenshot (492).png
    Screenshot (492).png
    2.4 MB · Views: 34

skef

Some shots from today, which started out very cold (-3) but finished with good snow and reasonable snow-friendly temps.

From Prism on Merrill Hill:
36BB7D3A-10E3-4450-976D-930D6E0785A1.jpeg
Black Hole (the back sides of those fluffy mounds was all ice):
9E568B34-6CB5-4AF7-A90E-D0AB2070E2E2.jpeg
Airglow:
363207CC-2573-4E92-A114-47E3680CB6E7.jpeg
Vortex (ROTD after the snow started):
BE5A1293-E49F-4BAC-9D41-4CEADF1D8C47.jpeg

urungus

A bit confused about the trail names in Oz… are Tin Woodsman and Lost Princess just two sides of the same trail ? And same for Eureka and Emerald City ?

C0631AB1-F0D0-4575-AED2-559622220DFD.jpeg

7BD62005-8957-4274-9317-7584A45C6025.jpeg

parahelia

A bit confused about the trail names in Oz… are Tin Woodsman and Lost Princess just two sides of the same trail ? And same for Eureka and Emerald City ?

View attachment 57074
Yes - Tin Woodsman and Emerald City are the slightly wooded sides of Lost Princess/Eureka, respectively. Kind of weird to classify them as two trails.

Regardless - just back from 9 days there and the mountain is skiing great. The woods are finally fun, especially the lower angle stuff. Should only get better this week.
B250D8E9-5737-444A-8F67-0C97E1AD1D94.jpeg
3D76BF77-DB56-48D4-8229-47DF51A2FBEB.jpeg