• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River opens Sat am

Vortex

[h=3]Today at Sunday River[/h]

We’ve got a nice little weekend planned. Let’s just cut to the chase: we’re
opening for the weekend. Huzzah!

Thanks to snowmaking, we’re planning to open T2 and Upper Punch for advanced
skiing and riding this Saturday and Sunday,
October 26-27. Open terrain will be mid-mountain only, which means that loading and downloading
will be via the Locke Mountain Triple. This lift opens at 8am
and uploads the last chair at 3pm with downloading available up until the lift
closes at 3:30pm. Come Monday, we'll temporarily suspend operations until the
following weekend.

Throughout this weekend, however, we intend to continue to make
much snow as temperatures allow, so expect to ski/ride under snowmaking and for
conditions to feel au natural(ish).
For anyone new to our early season mix, you can expect there to be some waiting
to board and re-board the lift, as well as some waiting to download this same
lift once your day is done. The good news is that you’re skiing, the weather
looks incredible, and everyone’s in the same boat.

Skier and
snowboarder services, including parking, tickets, and restrooms, will be
available out of the Barker Base Lodge. If you still need to pick up a season pass, drive over to the South Ridge Lodge first, smile
pretty for the camera, pick up any gear you might need at Sunday River Sports, and then make your way back to
Barker for the start of your 2013/14 season.

What else…tickets for the
weekend are $29 all ages. If you purchase a Frequent Skier Card, on sale now at any lift ticket window or at our seasons pass office, they’re only $4. Yup….$4 dollar
(holla).

Oh, and we’re opening. How’s that for a nice little Saturday
(and Sunday)?
We hope to see you on the slopes!
Team Snow

#happyplacefound

deadheadskier

Staff member
For anyone new to our early season mix, you can expect there to be some waiting
to board and re-board the lift, as well as some waiting to download this same
lift once your day is done. The good news is that you’re skiing, the weather
looks incredible, and everyone’s in the same boat.

It's good that they are honest about what to expect. $29 is more than fair as well. Depending on how things look the following weekend, there's an outside chance I make it up on Sunday.

dlague

We are heading up there on the 21st and 22nd with comps that expire on the 25th. Want to maximize the snow and the number of open trails! Good news either way!

So I'm going to up at the in-laws in Scarborough this weekend. SR people, is it worth the hour and a half drive to get in a few hours of skiing? What's the line like?

Tin

So T2 and Upper Punch is about how much vert? Really considering heading up since it is the same distance and $20 cheaper than K.

maineskier69

So I'm going to up at the in-laws in Scarborough this weekend. SR people, is it worth the hour and a half drive to get in a few hours of skiing? What's the line like?

The lines will be there. The shortest one will be your initial accent from the base past mid station (tips and safety bar up) to the summit. Choose either T2 or Upper Sunday Punch, take your time and savor it as the line at mid station to go back up will grow though out the AM eventually becoming quite long. Then it comes time to download. If there is any long line for that consider hiking down as they can only download about every 5 chairs.
I would say either hit it early and quit it early or wait till later in the day after people's legs are cooked (but so will the trails).

deadheadskier

Staff member
So T2 and Upper Punch is about how much vert? Really considering heading up since it is the same distance and $20 cheaper than K.

5-600 with slightly more pitch than north ridge trails at K. I wouldn't be surprised if its skiable to the base by Sunday.
Sent from my XT907 using AlpineZone mobile app

Vortex

I agree with Deadhead skier on the vert and pitch. They are working towards the bottom. Top bottom would be nice. I work the Maineskier plan. 2hours early and head home to watch the pats.

KevinF

The lines will be there. The shortest one will be your initial accent from the base past mid station (tips and safety bar up) to the summit. Choose either T2 or Upper Sunday Punch, take your time and savor it as the line at mid station to go back up will grow though out the AM eventually becoming quite long. Then it comes time to download. If there is any long line for that consider hiking down as they can only download about every 5 chairs.
I would say either hit it early and quit it early or wait till later in the day after people's legs are cooked (but so will the trails).

It always amazes me that so many people are willing to wait in long lines to ski 500 vertical feet. I guess if you're right there in Bethel it's worth it, but the entire population of Bethel isn't that many people.

The hiking and cycling is still pretty good. Maybe I don't have any ski jonesing going on because I last skied in May.

Yeah, I have to decide whether I love skiing more than I hate waiting in long lines. Maybe if they open to the bottom on Sunday. Or maybe just I'll go hiking at Grafton Notch.

yeggous

They won't be open to the bottom on Sunday. They aren't even making an effort. Check out the webcam.
current.jpg

At this point the forecast for later in the week is warm with translucent snow. They're going to want to make preservation piles up high.