• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River

machski

Vortex opened on sneak peak at 230 today and was awesome! Glad they did, would have hated to waste all that dry cold smoke to the next several days. I have no worries they will get the Excalibur lines thawed. Every year it seems they freeze up some line in Jordan or Oz. Really need that second pump bank on the west side to come online. I would hope the added flow volume would help cut the freeze ups down.

SkiFanE

The au natural lover checking in. Groomers seem fine - when I need to use them. Didn't hit Spruce last weekend but weekend before it was incredible. Last weekend caramba and Ruby Palace were awesome bumps. We went off piste - such deep snow but a nasty heavy crud on top that made it unturnable. Open woods are pretty skied off. I have no idea what to expect this weekend but I'm sure it'll be a blast. Heck - that lil bump line setup on Dreammaker was a blast in itself. Kudos to SR for their efforts.

machski

Net gain up here last night. Crusty lower mountain but up high about 4-5 inches of a denser powder. Snow set up well with little windblown refreshing everything.
As for frozen pipes, looks like they will be dealing with that.

machski

18c0801257f64a7102bebcc85125c961.jpg

Edd

How're the conditions on Excalibur since leaving it without snowmaking? A similar situation occurred with Cheetah at Wildcat this season and it has been one of the better trails to ski.

SkiFanE

Good coverage in the glades?

Excellent, as of last Sunday. No more fear of hitting much under the fresh and skied off stuff was still fairly covered. Last Tango was very good and Hardball was awesome. The open space on top was a powdery blast (crust was well covered mostly) and the skiers right side down over the cliffy stuff was much better than normal. Can't imagine it got much worse over the week. Oh, super Nova was A+, still lots to be had in some parts. Can't wait for weekend, they've been getting a few inches here and there all week it seems.

edited- I heard Chutzpah was bad - crust was tough. Odd since its on same peak as Hardball, but it was a good source.

machski

Excellent, as of last Sunday. No more fear of hitting much under the fresh and skied off stuff was still fairly covered. Last Tango was very good and Hardball was awesome. The open space on top was a powdery blast (crust was well covered mostly) and the skiers right side down over the cliffy stuff was much better than normal. Can't imagine it got much worse over the week. Oh, super Nova was A+, still lots to be had in some parts. Can't wait for weekend, they've been getting a few inches here and there all week it seems.

edited- I heard Chutzpah was bad - crust was tough. Odd since its on same peak as Hardball, but it was a good source.
I'll second Chutzpah was rough. Good coverage, but the crust was noticeably different than Hard Ball (hard ball seemed to have almost none or firm enough you didn't break through). Chutzpah's crust broke easy and often and made for tough time. Also, middle section skier's right is usually best filled but needs a bit more to ski well. Favorite woods last weekend in addition to hardball were Poppy Fields (green,blue,orange lines) and the upper entrance lines on Blind Ambition off Lolla (as Excalibur was closed). Hollywood actually skied well too.

prsboogie

I was there on Wednesday during the snow and only skied the lower angle glades the kids (yetville and ?north woods?) the there was a ton of soft snow for turns and good coverage. The whole place skied great but again I didn't hit the doubles with the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

prsboogie

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1486124859.291121.jpg looking at Oz from Northern Lights/Afterglow junction - guns On!!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

SkiFanE

I'll second Chutzpah was rough. Good coverage, but the crust was noticeably different than Hard Ball (hard ball seemed to have almost none or firm enough you didn't break through). Chutzpah's crust broke easy and often and made for tough time. Also, middle section skier's right is usually best filled but needs a bit more to ski well. Favorite woods last weekend in addition to hardball were Poppy Fields (green,blue,orange lines) and the upper entrance lines on Blind Ambition off Lolla (as Excalibur was closed). Hollywood actually skied well too.

Its a good ski day when there is more to hit than you have time for. Darn kids caused us to quit too early each day, so couldn't get to all. Still haven't gotten to Jordan but 2 Caramba runs this year. We did a closed Poppy Fields a few weeks back and that was a mistake - thick unturnable crust - but it was soooooo deep. Have to get there soon.

SkiFanE

I see top of Spruce is up for guns on AmEx and Risky today/night. Sorry SkiFanE.

So sad. Why do they mess with perfection? The only people willing to hike up that huge hill and fight off the Bears and coyotes and rabid squirrels are hard core skiers that hate that shyt. Sigh...

SkiFanE

I did some trees today, North Woods. Ummmmm.... what can I say. By now, most of the snow is pushed up and the runs themselves are down to ice or dirt or very hard pack. And add to it when I came out near the bottom of the North Peak lift, it was some dicy ice to deal with. Not my favorite way to have fun. Some of the more experienced tree skiers will see nothing wrong with that, I am a novice tree skier.

But they are currently forecasting 5-8 inches on Tuesday!!!!

So take a couple more runs down it and become better than novice. You won't improve if you don't keep trying! Go get it - pristine bases are overrated...

SkiFanE

Good advice. All week I have been hitting bumps and started on some trees. It is getting easier. I like it, I'm just not so good at it. Last week, I did Tin Woodsman. This week, I've done Starburst, Shockwave, Uppercut, Crossbow, Tightwire, Downdraft, North Woods, Northern Exposure (Below the two headwalls), Last mile, Enchanted Forest, and Excalibur(Fresh whales). Basically touring the bumps and hitting them again! Just making the rounds!

I've been having loads of fun, but I call it like I see it. If it's icy, I'll say it's icy. If it's pristine, I'll say it's pristine. I try not to say it was good or awesome if I am trying to describe it. Whitney was asking how the coverage was, so I tried to call it as I saw it. Those are relative terms. But it really was mostly awesome!

Good for you! Opens up tons more terrain for you. I have an incredible tolerance for junk under skis, so I should probably preface that with my observations lol. Ski pal still won't let me live down a trail I sent him down last winter...trailed off my recommendation with "...but exit is a little rough". Apparently rough was an understatement and he was kinda mad lmao. He survived and became a tougher man for it :p

KustyTheKlown

ski bases are made to be destroyed. especially if youre trying to make eastern skiing interesting. thin rocky woods are just the way she goes

Edd

So sad. Why do they mess with perfection? The only people willing to hike up that huge hill and fight off the Bears and coyotes and rabid squirrels are hard core skiers that hate that shyt. Sigh...

What route have you been taking to hike it? Sirius? I'm surprised they're bothering to blow snow up there at this point in the season.

SkiFanE

ski bases are made to be destroyed. especially if youre trying to make eastern skiing interesting. thin rocky woods are just the way she goes
. I haven't had a wax since I bought my skis 2-3 seasons ago - husband just sharpens my edges every couple months. My tail edge started coming off, so finally going to take in this weekend- a couple core shots and 100+ days of scratches. Honestly, I can't tell a difference when they're tuned and days I need razor edges are days I usually skip. Spring conditions will sometimes drive me to a wax lol. With a one ski quiver, that means everyday = rock skis. Finally burned out my official rock skis. Growing up in big family means I was end of line on hand me downs - built a lifetime of tolerance for shitty equipment lol.