• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Super Bowl Sunday in the Catskills? Which one?

abc

I heard report Hunter is in reasonably decent shape. They've been making snow. And with good grooming (which they're known for) and a potential few inches, it could potentially be pretty good skiing. That is, if the crowds stays home on Superbowl Sunday. Anyone got any past experience as to whether it's relatively lighter crowd on Super Bowl Sunday?

Both Platty and Windham has discount deal on SB Sunday. But Platty still has only 1/2 the trails open. So I'm doubting the overnight couple inch isn't going to make any more of them skiable. Windham is the one I'm least familiar with, how aggressive they make snow and how well they groom. Nor do I have any clue how busy or un-busy it'll be tomorrow...

So anyone got first person report on current condition and/or speculate on tomorrow's snow condition and/or crowd?

Or I can wait till next weekend since all next week will be cold & snow making temperature, which should improve condition somewhat. Except that's a whole week away...

I haven't been out much so I'm getting a bit itchy and tempted to chance a less than perfect condition. But given what happened a few days ago, I'd rather not risk any injury if it's still truly borderline awful.

ScottySkis

I'm to Platty for $20. If money is no factor in the decision you should go to Hunter.

Bell had discounts to, check the potterbrothers.com for flex tickets, or look in the skiing.on cheap thread, I posted it yesterday.

abc

Bell had discounts to, check the potterbrothers.com for flex tickets, or look in the skiing.on cheap thread, I posted it yesterday.
Flex ticket for Bell isn't until Feb 24. And the deal on liftopia is not showing (maybe sold out).

Windham does have a Flex ticket for tomorrow. But it's a longer drive than Hunter and the discount isn't huge ($40 vs $55 at Hunter) So if it's less crowded than Hunter and at least as good condition, I would take advantage of that. But if it's not as good as Hunter, I'd rather just pay the extra and get a more enjoyable day.

kartski

With no local teams in it, it will only be down a little, may be hard to notice. I plan to check out Hunter for at least the afternoon. With a 6:20 PM Kick Off, I'll be home for that ( Watch the game till it turns into a blow out.).

abc

I'm not the least bit interested in the game.

I do wonder if the mountain is less crowded this weekend because people think the condition will be terrible?

ScottySkis

I'm not the least bit interested in the game.

I do wonder if the mountain is less crowded this weekend because people think the condition will be terrible?

Your right no deal at Bell sorry. I dont know but Hunter is got the best snow making. Maybe you should PM DMC?

kartski

Conditions will affect it more. I'm not expecting it to be great. The website only have them making snow on Wayout at this point. I just need to get outside. Was sick last weekend.

abc

The website only have them making snow on Wayout at this point.
Maybe because it's snowing? I'm a bit of an optimist when I'm in the mood...

Conditions will affect it more. I'm not expecting it to be great.
Me neither. As long as it isn't terrible.

It doesn't sound to be too bad from reports of people who skied Friday. If the overnight snow shower materialize to anything, it may even be half way decent. Again, the optimist in me...

skisheep

Violating my no Hunter on weekends rule because of three reasons, one it's superbowl sunday and crowds should be light, two there is no snow in NYC and people don't think about skiing when there is no snow on the ground in their area, and three, since they have arguably the best snowmaking system in the east for their size, they should be in better shape than most after this warmup.

-skisheep

abc

I've actually had ok experience on the few occasional Sundays at Hunter (never Saturday though). On the other hand, Hunter West is only half open. That might put a bit of extra pressure on the front side lifts...

I was initially thinking of going to Windham since it's their Flex Day. But haven't heard any report about it. A bit skeptical of its condition given the terrible situation we had a few days back. So will play it safe and rely on Hunter.

ScottySkis

I've actually had ok experience on the few occasional Sundays at Hunter (never Saturday though). On the other hand, Hunter West is only half open. That might put a bit of extra pressure on the front side lifts...

I was initially thinking of going to Windham since it's their Flex Day. But haven't heard any report about it. A bit skeptical of its condition given the terrible situation we had a few days back. So will play it safe and rely on Hunter.

I think that is a great decision, I let you know how Platty is but.I'm.not.expecting much?

Cornhead

I think that is a great decision, I let you know how Platty is but.I'm.not.expecting much?

It won't suck Scotty, Blockbuster, Northface, and Plunge were all open today. I expect similar conditions to Greek today, not terrible, but not the foot-o-fresh I skied at Snow Ridge, back to reality.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Platty was cold with a pretty soft, skiable surface given the ncp this week and the misconception that they don't make snow. Guns were running on Powderpuff Sundown, Shredded mozz all day and on Lower Face in the afternoon. Those Areco's make great snow!! The guns were still going when I left at 6-6:30. I heard he left Whales on northface and Block and groomed them down after the ncp. I heard they were ok but I am solo with my little one this weekend so I stayed on the triple all day. It seemed as though he blew Upper face yesterday and groomed it this morning. Tomorrow should be pretty good...given the lack of natural snow and crap weather this week.

Scotty: both my little one and I wear bright blue jackets we will be there. Our locker is on the main floor...on the stove (as opposed to open fireplace) side.

abc

Scotty, I saw your post on the other thread of a Platty deal:
Plaatekill Sunday,.with cornhead, anyone want to come cheap tickets can be had for $19.95 from Potterbrothers stores.:)
Where do you find the deal? I don't see anything on Potter Brothers 'bout that. Or is it a secret, private deal? ;-)

I'm pretty set on Hunter this week. But if there's another discount source I'm neglecting, I'd love to know. Maybe for later when the condition at Platty is better.

ScottySkis

Scotty, I saw your post on the other thread of a Platty deal:

Where do you find the deal? I don't see anything on Potter Brothers 'bout that. Or is it a secret, private deal? ;-)

I'm pretty set on Hunter this week. But if there's another discount source I'm neglecting, I'd love to know. Maybe for later when the condition at Platty is better.
On face book page, I bought the tickets today at my local shop, you can buy them tomorrow at the Kingston store.

abc

Hmm... I'll check the trail count tomorrow before heading out. I can change course right at the Kingston store, which I'll be stopping to get my Hunter ticket...