• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Target Market Difference Between Snowboarding and Skiing via Jackets

Mullen

Wow people pay a lot of money for some ugly jackets, some of those things are hideous. Is there really a difference between a "ski" jacket or a "snowboard" jacket other than the marketing?

fahz

Those high prices are high! Looking at the most popular or better selling, results in some better looking more reasonable priced ski stuff. Prices slightly higher than the snow boards choices in those two categories also

planb420

Are there "hoity toity" snowboarders?

I guess I would consider myself kinda in that category, in terms that I buy the best equipment I can afford (WITHIN REASON). I'd never pay that damn much for a coat...but would break the bank on a board, bindings, and boots....

jack97

I guess I would consider myself kinda in that category, in terms that I buy the best equipment I can afford ....

This type of thinking plays into "what the market will bear". Out of principle, I generally buy older model hard goods; I have a mental threshold of what I will pay for skis, boots and bindings. Luckily, i buy mogul gear that is not in high demand but still affordable. Unfortunately, i can't leverage that approach with soft goods.

planb420

This type of thinking plays into "what the market will bear". Out of principle, I generally buy older model hard goods; I have a mental threshold of what I will pay for skis, boots and bindings. Luckily, i buy mogul gear that is not in high demand but still affordable. Unfortunately, i can't leverage that approach with soft goods.

Now I'm not saying I buy the 1,000 burton models...but I will spend up to 400-500 on a board...(If I deem the features/construction worthy). With snowboards you get what you pay for to a point. I also spend a bit more and buy Burton gear because of the EXELLENT customer service I recieve. They stand behind their gear and replace it with hardly an issue, so for that ease I'll pay a bit more. Just my train of thought...

wa-loaf

I wouldn't be surprised if those $1000+ jackets never see ski slope.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't think I've ever paid more than $250 for a jacket and $150 for pants. I don't doubt the tech is better for the higher priced stuff, but I question how much better I would find that uber-expensive gear to be. I've generally always been pretty happy with my gear.

High cost doesn't always equal better performance as well. A couple years ago I "splurged" and dropped $90 at the local ski shop on a pair of Level Gloves. Goretex, primaloft, fancy grip/warmth sliding inner liners, all the "tech". The following year I picked up a set of Polyester Grandoe gloves at the fall TJ Maxx sale as a back up for $30; think they retailed for $50. One bitter cold day, I forget to put the fancy gloves in my ski bag and used the Grandoe's instead. I found out they're warmer than the fancy gloves, just as dry, articulate better and the gauntlet works better over my jacket. The fancy gloves are now the back up.

gostan

Some of this Bogner and Kjus stuff is ridiculously priced and not real durable. Remember, all of this high price stuff like Arcteryc and Mammut, goes on sale pre and post season at the large mountain ski area shops for at least 30% off msrp. I would never pay full price, but I have one Arcteryc technical shell/pants setup and one Mammut alyeska setup that were each purchased at 40% off and are going strong after 8 and 3 years, respectively. I may just ski in these forever as they look like they may last longer than I will be out on the slopes.:thumbup:

Edd

The following year I picked up a set of Polyester Grandoe gloves at the fall TJ Maxx sale as a back up for $30; think they retailed for $50. One bitter cold day, I forget to put the fancy gloves in my ski bag and used the Grandoe's instead. I found out they're warmer than the fancy gloves, just as dry, articulate better and the gauntlet works better over my jacket. The fancy gloves are now the back up.

I bought a pair of Grandoe mittens for $30 at a tent sale and they served me well for 4 years. Just tossed them last week.

mister moose

Bogner strikes me as the definitive overpriced fashion runway gear. And I agree, function first. However, if you ski a lot, and I mean a lot, you start to value powder skirts, velcro cuffs, taped seams, ruggedness, windproof fabric, lots of pockets, pass pouch, zip off hood, unsnaggable zippers with large pulls, etc. Pretty soon $350 on sale is looking like a deal.

dlague

Well the past three jackets and pants I bought were al under $100 brand new and bought during summer tent sales! I ski is all types of weather including sub zero days and they have all worked great!

jack97

Well the past three jackets and pants I bought were al under $100 brand new and bought during summer tent sales! I ski is all types of weather including sub zero days and they have all worked great!

That's basically my threshold for pants and jackets. I have another threshold for bindings and skis; already got a pair of px12, looking for a good deal on a pair of skis to put them on.

C-Rex

I try to have the best tech I can afford but I won't pay full price for it. I can handle cold but wet and cold is a no-go for me, so I got my Gore Tex [AK] jacket at the Burton outlet in Wrentham for like 40% off. I still don't have Gore Tex pants but I'm always on the lookout for a deal. I ended up with a pair of Analog pants that are rated 30,000mm instead. Not as breathable, and much heavier weight but at least I'm never wet. Base layer and mid layer stuff can be found cheap all over the place. There's really no reason to pay big money for that stuff. I'll pay good money for boots, boards, and bindings but I don't always have to have the latest and greatest. I try to get at least a few seasons out of all of it before I let myself go shopping again.

My general rule is to replace only one high dollar item a year if it can be helped. That way I always have plenty of money for the most important part: GOING RIDING! I know so many dipshits that spend mad duckets on all new gear and fancy outfits and then complain that they can't afford to go all season long.

gladerider

good materials are more expensive, having said that you can always find deals. top of the line jackets with the best technologies i seen (like 3 layers and goretex) will go for like $500, but you can find deals. if you look closely, the top of the line products actually has better production process as well, which normally equates to better waterproof and function. but, if you are paying over $2-300 for a jacket, you are paying for the name and style, not function.

i would pay more for better products, but so far, not paid more than $100-150.

JoeB-Z

Pit zips are a must also.

Bogner strikes me as the definitive overpriced fashion runway gear. And I agree, function first. However, if you ski a lot, and I mean a lot, you start to value powder skirts, velcro cuffs, taped seams, ruggedness, windproof fabric, lots of pockets, pass pouch, zip off hood, unsnaggable zippers with large pulls, etc. Pretty soon $350 on sale is looking like a deal.