• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tell me about Southern Vermont towns please....

tnt1234

Have a chance to spend a night or two in southern vermont. Ideally will ski two days at Magic, depending n the conditions. But wondering where to stay.

Only have stayed on resort grounds in S.Vt....Stratton, Okemo, Snow...so don't know much about the towns.

Good places to stay? Vegetarian restaurants? Anywhere? Good bars? Central locations?

WoodCore

Ludlow!! Plenty to offer off the hill plus Okemo is right there and Killington, Pico, Stratton, Bromley and Magic are a short trip away.

VTKilarney

Chester is a nice, low key, little town and is more convenient to the interstate highway. The Free Range restaurant always offers a vegetarian option for dinner.

Last edited:

NYDB

Swiss Inn - Londonderry - lodging and meals (is cheese vegetarian?) The people who run it are super nice in my experience. It;s kind of dated but thats part of the charm.

Solo - South Londonderry - meals

The Mill Tavern Loindonderry- meals

2nd RedFox

If I was going with friends I'd stay at Magic. If I was going with Wife I would maybe try weston? there are a couple little b&b's and a nice classic VT square. Chester Too.

Not to up on the lodging options. I ve had a house in bondville for 20+ years

crank

We used to stay at the Stone Hearth Inn in Chester. It is really close to Magic and chester is a nice little town.

Pez

Ludlow!! Plenty to offer off the hill plus Okemo is right there and Killington, Pico, Stratton, Bromley and Magic are a short trip away.

Can you recommend a good cheaper, yet clean hotel in the area? I have a free pass at Okemo that probably won't get used unless i spend a night near there.

tnt1234

Anyone ever stay at the Upper Pass lodge?

Looks like we might just be driving up, skiing a half day at Magic, spending one night, skiing the next day and driving home. So that would make it easy. Maybe drive to SoLo for dinner...

ShadyGrove

Have a chance to spend a night or two in southern vermont. Ideally will ski two days at Magic, depending n the conditions. But wondering where to stay.

Only have stayed on resort grounds in S.Vt....Stratton, Okemo, Snow...so don't know much about the towns.

Good places to stay? Vegetarian restaurants? Anywhere? Good bars? Central locations?

Nowhere closer to Magic than the Upper Pass Lodge. You can get ski and stay packages and walk to the lifts. The bar serves only VT made beer and liquor and the restaurant is very affordable with daily specials usually less than $15.

The Blue Gentian is also on the Magic access road with the Magic View Motel about 2 miles away (getting a little further down the ladder as far as price and accomodations, now).

As for meals - The Black Line Tavern has you covered for lunch and even dinner. SoLo is in So. Londonderry and is very high end, dinner only. Breakfast at the New American Grill in Londonderry or JJ Hapgood in Peru (for sit down) or the breakfast sandwich at the Bromley Market is awesome (near Bromley). NAG and JJH are also decent for dinner depending on what you are looking for. One final pick in town is The Garden Restaurant. I've had great meals and poor meals there, so be advised. I'd avoid The Mill for dinner, but grabbing a drink in the front bar near the fireplace is a great way to close out an evening.

If you want to drive up to Ludlow, the Homestyle Hostel is great for dinner and their lodging may be decent as well (hostel style). Ludlow can be very busy on weekends though so be prepared for a lot of traffic.

Smellytele

Anyone ever stay at the Upper Pass lodge?

Looks like we might just be driving up, skiing a half day at Magic, spending one night, skiing the next day and driving home. So that would make it easy. Maybe drive to SoLo for dinner...

I have stayed there. It is nothing fancy. The bar area is the best part about the place. There were some interesting guest staying (maybe living) there. They came down to the bar and restaurant in pj's and slippers.

tnt1234

I have stayed there. It is nothing fancy. The bar area is the best part about the place. There were some interesting guest staying (maybe living) there. They came down to the bar and restaurant in pj's and slippers.

Lol!

sull1102

I'd second Manchester, can get to Magic in under 30 minutes and you'll be driving past Bromley and near Stratton. Manchester has a lot to if weather isn't cooperating, shopping, Land Rover off road driving experience, and restaurants.

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app

GregoryIsaacs

Might as well throw it up on this thread. Bunch of friends rented a place in Jamaica and are skiing Magic, Is there anywhere nearby that will be playing the NFL games? does the Black Line show the games? Pretty sure the place we rented has no cable.

ShadyGrove

Might as well throw it up on this thread. Bunch of friends rented a place in Jamaica and are skiing Magic, Is there anywhere nearby that will be playing the NFL games? does the Black Line show the games? Pretty sure the place we rented has no cable.

The BLT will have the games on.

rocks860

We stayed at this place called stone wall inn near magic a couple years ago. Total eco friendly, very cool place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tnt1234

This weather is really killing my buzz of course.

Booked a room at the Under Pass thinking we would leave super early next thursday, ski Magic, crash at the UP, magic again friday, head home. Made sense to just stay right there if we'd be wiped out from a 5am departure. Drive for dinner to one of the places recommended here.

But looks like this storm is gonna destroy S. Vt. Not sure I want to drive 4-1/2hrs. to not have decent conditions for my first time at magic.

Now thinking of making this a one ski day adventure, and taking our time driving up to Ludlow Thursday, check out the town, have a good dinner, then maybe ski Mt. Snow on the way back south since they will hopefully have blown snow to recover.

We'll see...

There seems to be a little snow in the forecast next wednesday - keeps popping up in the forecasts, then disappearing....

I've never been to magic, but I would think with low skier volume, even a couple of inches mid week would really change things for them.

rocks860

Yeah you don’t want to have your first time at magic be a day of ice. We were there last January and the entire mountain was like a giant skating ring and it was frigid. Still had fun but it was pretty rough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk