• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tenney Mountain

Newpylong

$22

That's mid-week, I'm looking for tomorrow.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I am interested to see how this season goes. The last time I visited, in 2004, Dan Egan was the manager. As much as I love the Egan brothers from Warren Miller, unless something has changed, Dan was not a great ski area manager. When I visited in 2004 it was pretty disorganized. I drove up there to ski and was greeted by "ski area closed today" signs. They had not bothered to update the snowphone or the website. Nobody there had any clue. I returned later to ski and it was a pretty sad place. So I have to wonder why they went back to him. I guess he was local and available? Honestly, I'd go a different direction.

Newpylong

Not gonna find many up and comers willing to take a chance there when there are yearly senior level openings at the established areas.

2planks2coasts

I am interested to see how this season goes. The last time I visited, in 2004, Dan Egan was the manager. As much as I love the Egan brothers from Warren Miller, unless something has changed, Dan was not a great ski area manager. When I visited in 2004 it was pretty disorganized. I drove up there to ski and was greeted by "ski area closed today" signs. They had not bothered to update the snowphone or the website. Nobody there had any clue. I returned later to ski and it was a pretty sad place. So I have to wonder why they went back to him. I guess he was local and available? Honestly, I'd go a different direction.

You're aware of how nutty the previous guy was, right? Egan may not be the best, but so far it appears he's light years ahead. The website is significantly more professional. They've brought in modern snowmaking equipment. The new owners have a vision for the place. Not sure many share that vision, but upping the ski game is a part of it that most of us can agree with. Besides, the lift tickets are super cheap! Hoping they can make a go of it with this crappy snow year. I'm certainly gonna spend some money there.

thetrailboss

Staff member
You're aware of how nutty the previous guy was, right? Egan may not be the best, but so far it appears he's light years ahead. The website is significantly more professional. They've brought in modern snowmaking equipment. The new owners have a vision for the place. Not sure many share that vision, but upping the ski game is a part of it that most of us can agree with. Besides, the lift tickets are super cheap! Hoping they can make a go of it with this crappy snow year. I'm certainly gonna spend some money there.
There have been too many nutty people. I presume you are talking about Mike. His heart was in it, but he had no idea what he was doing. He had an ownership interest. I am not sure if they bought him out or if he is just now a silent partner.

2planks2coasts

There have been too many nutty people. I presume you are talking about Mike. His heart was in it, but he had no idea what he was doing. He had an ownership interest. I am not sure if they bought him out or if he is just now a silent partner.
That's the one. Your assessment is echoed by everyone I've talked to at Tenney. A nice, quirky guy who didn't seem to have a clue how to manage the mountain. My "nutty" remark stems from him using his (legitimate, but irrelevant) title "Sir" on everything, and similar quirks. The new owners kept him on to manage last season but have parted ways now. Under what circumstances, I have no idea.

Your bad experience with Egan's management there was 20 years ago. I'm hoping it's better this time. If Tenney has any hope of surviving, it has to be.

Newpylong

Interview with Egan prior to the ski season. Some future plan details though color me skeptical. Summit snowmaking pond in permitting. Could be why they decided to repair the existing pumps and not rebuild the whole thing.

raisingarizona

Interview with Egan prior to the ski season. Some future plan details though color me skeptical. Summit snowmaking pond in permitting. Could be why they decided to repair the existing pumps and not rebuild the whole thing.

Was there any mention of mountain biking?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Here are a few observations from that video. First, did anybody catch that the mountain is closing on St. Patrick’s Day? That seems pretty early. Granted some years it would be an appropriate date. Second, he seems to represent that the pond is going forward. I think that is going to be the ultimate test for this summer. If that pond goes ahead, then I think they’ve got a good chance of making this work. Third, we started to get into some of the crazy talk about boutique, hotels, and other development. That is still a long ways out in my opinion. Fourth, he also made a comment about spending his life looking for a free lift ticket. That was followed up by talking about trips that he is going to be doing to Big Sky and to France. That sounds great and all but I would think that the owner would want his focused to be on the Ski area and getting it going. So I am skeptically optimistic.

drjeff

One of my friends in my home town in CT has one of the slopeside condos at 10e, and from his social media feed, it looks like him and his family have been having fun. Heck, they had fun skinning and hiking it last year and him and his 2 teenage sons in particular know just about every tight tree line, cliff drop, and jump on that mtn like the back of their hands!

In general he is a very "the glass is really full" type of person, but his excitement for what's going on at 10e seems even greater!

Smellytele

Drove by yesterday afternoon. Looked like a good amount of snow but only the lower lift was running and the tubing Poma. Maybe 40 cars in the parking lot.

thetrailboss

Staff member

It looks like they repainted the lifts. Did they repaint the Hawnet (Hornet) lift so that the base no longer looks like a battleship?

And Egan said that they have RFID at Tenney.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
On the video, the owner said that it is his goal for people from out west to fly east to "check out" Tenney. Ummm.......

wtf-kevin-hart.gif